Quad LP/Tape Poll Mitchell, Joni: Court and Spark [CD-4/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Court and Spark"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5: So-so

• 1: Bad Sound, Bad Mix, Bad Content

• Total voters
A note: when I did the conversion of my Q8 of this there were phase issues - probably the head on my player being wacked - with the tracks. After nudging a few samples - ooh wee did it sound good!

This is hot. The CD-4 was eagerly awaited in the day, and rightly so. I think it's all been said by others here. If you like Quad, and like the music from the Quad era, YOU NEED THIS!!

I'm just home from a long business trip in Las Vegas and this album is the perfect jet lag cure. Free Man In Paris is one of the greatest quad tracks ever and the whole album is extraordinary from start to finish. Pure unadulterated emotion that pours from every speaker and carries you higher and higher on the beautiful sonics.

Now this would have been an instant sellout of a Quadio release, probably would be selling on the black market for far in excess of the $100 or so the Chicago now goes for.

Such a missed opportunity, that Quadio program :(

Such a missed opportunity, that Quadio program :(

Agreed. Started off with a bang with such hype and optimism.... whoever's decision it was to make Aretha the #2 release really fouled things up. I'm not a huge fan of Joni by any stretch, but I'd have bought this title in a heartbeat whereas I only bought Aretha to support the Quadio program.

Much as I agree the quad Court and Spark would make a great rerelease, I somehow doubt the master tape is available at any price.

As more decades go by there are fewer people still alive who even know of the existence of these quad masters, let alone how to access them (legally and otheriwse). Sadly, this includes the artists themselves: check out Quad Bob's mention somewhere of his attempt to explain the quad Late for the Sky album to Jackson Browne. If there were some way to grab Joni Mitchell and sit her down in front of a good quad demo of her album, the project would probably happen. But unless someone on this board is friends with her, we'll have to keep waiting.

I feel sure that eventually everything will be rereleased or remixed in surround. Only question is whether I'll still be alive, or still care.

Someday, some way ...

Last edited:
Just found a really perfect copy of this yesterday.

Hehe. Urethra. That's funny because, in my youth when I was all Led Zeppelinish. Hendrixish, Stonesish, and well... you know, I used to irreverently call her Urethra Franklin.

Now, acourse, I love her to death. OK, except for her "Jumpin' Jack Flash" version. Ixnay. But the CD-4 of her Best Of is wonderful. Almost as good as Joni.

:D

Doug

A solid 10.
Joni+Mitchell+-+Court+And+Spark+-+Quadraphonic+-+LP+RECORD-102421.jpg
$_35.JPG

hard to argue with "sublime" (@neil wilkes) for this one--a true revelation for me. As @Bob Romano notes, "The quad mix is beautiful and full and strange at the same time. . ." For me, not strange because of the drums in the rears but because so much care and craft were put into the mix of an album of so much care and craft! This is one I did not expect would sound so wonderful in Quad. I think the release itself is one of the high points in an oeuvre of excellence; it is a work of intelligence, insight, and assuredness in which Mitchell deftly and beautifully blends folk and jazz and pop as smoothly and (here it comes again) sublimely as she does color and line and wash in her cover art. I can't wait for my daughter to hear this one! Simply beautiful! @Eggplant notes that this is "one of the few five-star mixes of the quad era." I'll double that: 10!

Last edited:
Waay late to the party (again) on this one QL, but I was fortunate to just find this Q8 still in the wrapper, simply pristine. Of course before even thinking of playing it, I carefully opened the case and changed the pads ( totally disintegrated) and foil sensor strip ( fell off when I began peeling it!)
Just an exquisite demonstration of beautiful music enhanced by tasteful 4-channel separation. I have to give it a 10. Should be a staple in all quadraholic collections šŸ˜Š

Back