Mono Wrapped Cartridge Help

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Svensson

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Just picked up an AT LP 120 turntable to be devoted to 78 playback. I also bought a Shure M78S cartridge as I read it was a very good 2.5mil stylus for 1950s era 78 playback. Anyway, I sourced some new machine screws and spacers to affix it to the headshell and it came with the leads wire wrapped to give mono playback, Shure does that, not a home made job. With the wraps on there is not much lead to attach the headshell wires to, they want to fall off. Is there a trick to this? Do I crimp them, with what? Some electrically conductive adhesive solution? Someone must have confronted this in their analog past.

No fear, Max was there! For anyone venturing into the central Pennsylvania region, you must see The Turntable and Vintage Audio Shop. It took him 5 minutes to repair the damage it took me an hour to inflict on this cartridge last night... cost with new head shell wiring, $10 46. Best of all, he had at least 6 restored quad amps on the shelf for sale, including 2 QRX-7500. He does all repairs. Can't recommend enough.

P.P.S.- For anyone looking for a quad amp, what I was able to jot down were: Marantz 4300, Sansui QRX-7500, Sansui QRX-7001, Pioneer QX-646, Pioneer QX-8000, Lafayette LR-5000, and a Panasonic with no model number on front. Prices looked very reasonable and he ships gear, just google "The Turntable Store". I have no financial interest in the place, first time I was ever in there but it won't be my last.

Hey John, I am glad things worked out with your new shop. It is great to hear of a repair shop that doesn't turn their noses up at 4 channel gear. If I lived in your area or needed a new receiver I would certainly think of them. Maybe other quaddies in PA will stop by and say hello too. Maybe if you stop in again you could snap a couple pics with your cell phone to share, with permission of course. Hope you are enjoying your mono set up as much as your 4 channel stuff.

Back