More Tull in 5.1 coming in 2013?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Following the release last year of the 40th anniversary edition of Thick as a Brick, on 28th October Chrysalis Records will release a Collector’s Edition of Jethro Tull’s Benefit album.
Benefit was Jethro Tull’s third album, first released in April 1970. Transcending the blues influences of their 1969 album Stand Up, it was a much more hard-rocking album which saw the band utilise more advanced studio techniques. It reached number 3 in the UK.
The Collector’s Edition of Benefit plus bonus tracks has been mixed by Steven Wilson and approved by Ian Anderson. CD2 is a mono and stereo disc of rare and previously unreleased versions of tracks and singles associated with the period Benefit was released in (more information available on request). The audio only DVD includes a surround sound mix of Benefit, 96/24 tracks of Stereo in UK and US running orders.
In addition, the Collector’s Edition will include a booklet featuring an 8,000 word essay written by Martin Webb, as well as interviews with band members and a selection of photos, some of which are rare and previously unseen.

CD 1
1-With You There To Help Me (6.20)
2-Nothing To Say (5.13)
3-Alive And Well And Living In (2.48)
4-Son (2.53)
5-For Michael Collins, Jeffrey and Me (3.49)
6-To Cry You A Song (6.16)
7-A Time For Everything ? (2.45)
8-Inside (3.48)
9-Play In Time (3.49)
10-Sossity; You’re A Woman (4.37)

Bonus recordings
11-Singing All Day (3.07)
12-Sweet Dream (4.03)
13-17 (6.20)
14-Teacher (4.58) (UK single version) (stereo)
15- Teacher (4.03) (US album version) (stereo)

Tracks 1-10 Produced by Ian Anderson
Executive Producer Terry Ellis

CD 2: Associated recordings
1-Singing All Day (mono)*
2-Sweet Dream (mono)
3- 17 (mono)
4- Sweet Dream (stereo)*
5- 17 (stereo)*
6-The Witch’s Promise (mono)
7-Teacher (UK single version) (mono)
8-Teacher (US album version) (mono)
9-The Witch’s Promise (stereo)
10-Teacher (UK single version (stereo)
11-Teacher (US album version) (stereo)
12-Inside (mono)
13-Alive And Well And Living In
14-A Time For Everything (mono)
15-Reprise AM Radio Spot 1 (mono)
16-Reprise FM Radio Spot 2 (stereo)
*previously unreleased

DVD - DTS & Dolby Digital 5.1 & stereo versions of the following:
2-Nothing To Say (5.13)
4-Son (2.53)
8-Inside (3.48)
9-Play In Time (3.49)

Bonus recordings
11-Singing All Day
12-Sweet Dream
13-17
14-Teacher (UK single version) (stereo)
15- Teacher (US album version) (stereo)

New 5.1 surround sound and stereo mixes by Steven Wilson

Flat transfer of Original UK LP master at 96/24:
UK running order
2-Nothing To Say (5.13)
4-Son (2.53)
8-Inside (3.48)
9-Play In Time (3.49)

US running order
2-Nothing To Say (5.13)
3-Inside (3.49)
4-Son (2.53)
5-For Michael Collins, Jeffrey and Me (3.50)
6-To Cry You A Song (6.15)
7-A Time For Everything (2.44)
8-Teacher (4.04)
9-Play In Time (3.53)
10-Sossity; You’re A Woman (4.39)

Additional flat transfer recordings at 96/24:
11-Sweet Dream (stereo) 4:08
12-17 (stereo) 5:32
13-The Witch’s Promise (stereo) 4:01

Ok, Pros of this set:
New stereo & 5.1 mixes of "Sweet Dream" and "17" (not expected!) along with "Singing All Day" and "Teacher" (both the US and UK single versions)
A Second CD of extra mixes
Flat transfer of the original stereo mix

Cons of this set:
LOSSY 5.1 audio (DTS & Dullby, when will they ever learn?!)
No new stereo or 5.1 mix of "Witch's Promise" (guess they couldn't find the tapes, bummer...)

Overall, a very worthwhile package, but it could be slightly better. A silver (or bronze) medal release behind the upcoming XTC and Yes releases which win the gold. :)

Nice collection. Pity it is not lossless, but the DTS of TAAB sound very good, so Benefit will probably sound good as well. Here some pictures,

image.jpg

image.jpg

Steven confirms that the multies for The Witch's Promise could not be found

Steven’s new stereo and surround mixes of Jethro Tull’s classic third album Benefit will be released on 28th October in a 3 disc CD/DVD and single vinyl edition. Also included are new mixes of all single A and B sides from the period, with the exception of The Witch’s Promise for which the multitrack tapes are missing (the original mix is included in both mono and stereo however). No mastering has been done to the remixes, and a flat transfer of the original stereo mix is also included.

Description on Amazon US..

When Jethro Tull released Benefit in 1970, it signaled a new, more progressive musical direction for the English band. It also became one of the best-known albums of their career, which is going strong more 60 million records and 40 years later. The Grammy winning group is revisiting that pivotal album with a 2-CD/DVD-Audio collector s edition.

The 2-CD/DVD collection comes loaded with a massive amount of music recorded by the band, which at the time featured: multi-instrumentalist frontman Ian Anderson, guitarist Martin Barre, drummer Clive Bunker, pianist John Evan, and bassist Glenn Cornick.

The first disc contains the album s 10 original tracks, plus five bonus tracks that include both the U.K. and U.S. stereo versions of "Teacher. " All the songs are newly mixed by Steven Wilson and approved by Ian Anderson. The second disc includes newly remastered versions of rare tracks and singles recorded around the same time as Benefit, such as "Sweet Dream" in both stereo and mono.

The audio-only DVD, which is available exclusively with this version, is packed with 58 tracks, including the album and bonus tracks in 5.1 surround sound. It also contains the U.K and U.S. versions of the album. The American version was sequenced differently and replaced the U.K. track "Alive and Well and Living In" with "Teacher. " In addition, the set also comes with a handsome booklet filled with rare photographs, an essay by Martin Webb, and interviews with band members.

..rather cute/clever the ability to sequence the different US & UK versions on the DVD. also noticed the US release is on Warner and UK on Parlophone (does that mean anything anymore!? they're probably all owned by the same people!? :mad:@:)

No mastering has been done to the remixes, and a flat transfer of the original stereo mix is also included.
If true, that is terrific news! Nevertheless, after the MLP treatment of Aqualung on the blu-ray disc, giving us the DTS & DD versions of the Benefit remixes is a disappointment.

what it worth to exercise a re-mix from session's tracks, to finally shrink it to
about 1/10 of sound quality of master mix by DTS/DD?
i'll pass, do not feel like willing to pay premium price for such second grade goods.
there are much more interesting and with respect to consumers stuff to come.

what it worth to exercise a re-mix from session's tracks, to finally shrink it to
about 1/10 of sound quality of master mix by DTS/DD?
i'll pass, do not feel like willing to pay premium price for such second grade goods.
there are much more interesting and with respect to consumers stuff to come.

That's not at all how lossy perceptual encoding -- DTS, DD, mp3, AAC -- works. A reduction to "1/10" of file size does not mean only "1/10" of the sound quality is retained. The relationship between file size and sound quality is NOT LINEAR, whether it's due to lossy encoding or to up/down conversion.

I'm so tired of such prejudiced, uninformed claims. Audiophiles, please educate yourselves on how the technology actually *works*.

I am *certainly* going to buy this release, in the hope that the *mixing and mastering*, which is what *REALLY* matters, are good.

That's not at all how lossy perceptual encoding -- DTS, DD, mp3, AAC -- works. A reduction to "1/10" of file size does not mean only "1/10" of the sound quality is retained. The relationship between file size and sound quality is NOT LINEAR, whether it's due to lossy encoding or to up/down conversion.

I'm so tired of such prejudiced, uninformed claims. Audiophiles, please educate yourselves on how the technology actually *works*.

I am *certainly* going to buy this release, in the hope that the *mixing and mastering*, which is what *REALLY* matters, are good.

I'm buying it. As long as it sounds great and there is a good mix of songs, i'm in.

I'm definitely in for this too, TAAB was lossy and was (eventually) excellent. I can't see a pre-order up for Benefit anywhere yet though?

Back