Most Aggresive Surround Sound Mixes?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetsfan4ever80

I'm pretty new to SACD's and DVD-A's but compiled around seven or so surround sound discs. I found my favorites are by the Flaming Lips, I have both "At War with the Mystics" and "Yoshimi..." I really like them because of how aggressive the surround sound is and was wondering what are some of the most aggressive surround mixes in the pop/rock genre? Just to let you know I already have "Dark Side of the Moon", "Tommy", "Love", and "Sea Change." Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'd start with any of the following:
Beck - Guero
Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia and Deadwing are the most aggressively mixed
Pink Floyd - DVD-A of DSOTM with the original Alan Parsons quad mix
Talking Heads - Remain in Light and Speaking in Tongues

That's off the top of my head, I'm sure you'll have a long list soon.

btw, Welcome to QQ!

Hooverphonic - (No) More Sweet Music (it's a dual disc with DTS on it and it's a VERY good mix)

I'll give backup to BananaSlug's suggestions as well. Those are great.

Off the top of my head: Medeski, Martin, and Wood's "Indivisible" is really discrete.

Overly agressive (makes you almost dizzy:mad:@:) is Jean Michel Jarre - Aero. The format is DVD-V however with DTS.
Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells 2003 (DVD-A) is a nice one.
And how about Queen , well all their 5.1/4.1 mixes.

Linkin Park's Reanimation.

Not actually hi-res but definitely fully immersive: Peter Gabriel's Play dvd-video compilation.

N.E.R.D's "In Search Of..." is probably the most aggressive use of surround sound I've heard to date.

Any fan of ping-pong quad should pick this one up.

N.E.R.D's "In Search Of..." is an aggressive mix but also a great mix
Hooverphonic - (No) More Sweet Music is sony, so only DD5.1

N.E.R.D's "In Search Of..." is an aggressive mix but also a great mix
Hooverphonic - (No) More Sweet Music is sony, so only DD5.1

As unbelievable as it may sound I GUARANTEE you that it has DTS! I own that dual disc myself so I should know:D

I searched and found the Dual disc was only listed as DD, I could not find any mention of DTS. But these listings can often be wrong so now I will look for this one.

Maybe they're not so aggressive, but ones I remember having some nice surround stuff:

Roxy Music - Avalon
Elton John - Tumbleweed Connection
America - Homecoming
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery (if you can get one cheap enough)
Doobie Brothers - The Captain & Me

and the aforementioned titles in previous posts!

I have the Hooverphonic Dual Disc also and can confirm that it indeed has a very good DTS track. It is one of my favorite surround sound titles. I liked this title so much that I purchased the entire Hooverphonic catalog. There is no mention of DTS anywhere on the Outside packaging. I love what they did to that old Henri Mancini song. I cant believe this group is not more popular. I heard that they recently left Sony.

That is correct. Hopefully this means they can release their new album in 5.1 as well but NOT on Dual Disc.

I already e-mailed their management and their webmaster to tell them about my/our wishes:)

My fave aggressive 5.1 mix is actually a DTS album, although I have heard that is is available in DVD-A. It's TOY MATINEE, a superb pop/rock album from 1990 featuring Kevin Gilbert and Patrick Leonard with a great surround mix by Elliot Scheiner.

I also recommend Peter Gabriel's "UP" (SACD), Brian Wilson's "Imagination" (DTS), Porcupine Tree's In Absentia" (DVD-A) and Poco's "Crazy Eyes" (DTS). Hmmm...interesting how many aggressive mixes in my collection are made up of DTS productions...go figure.

My fave aggressive 5.1 mix is actually a DTS album, although I have heard that is is available in DVD-A. It's TOY MATINEE, a superb pop/rock album from 1990 featuring Kevin Gilbert and Patrick Leonard with a great surround mix by Elliot Scheiner.

I think the Toy Matinee DVDA is VERY underrated. It's incredible, in my opinion.

Absolutely. Another thing I like about this one is that every song is different.

If you are thinking about getting it this might help track it down: the Amazon ASIN is B000006I6P.

Seems to me it shows up on eBay pretty frequently, often with reasonable BIN.

Back