Need QQ help with playing downloads on Oppos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surroundophile

Surroundophile
Since 2002/2003
About five years ago I downloaded my first music from the internet. Once downloaded I transfer it to a USB thumb drive and play on one of my Oppos (103,203,205). With about two dozen downloads spread over six thumb drives, I'm finding it difficult to find an album I want to hear. Then I remembered that there's a way to connect directly to my computer and play the album from there. So I looked in the Oppo's manual, and found how to access a computer. I did that, found the computer (labeled "pc_user"). clicked on it, but it's asking for a login and password. How do I set the login and password on the computer? I tried searching for the word "password" on the Windows help page, but came up with nothing. PC uses Windows 7.

Here are a few things to help:
1) if you have not set a password on windows, then you shouldn't need one in the Oppo. Simply leave both fields blank and hit enter.
2) The above being said: My experience with the 203 is that it can sometimes be buggy and fail to respond even when you do that. Sometimes, I have to try it a few times to get it to work.

3) I dont do much sharing from windows machines in general, but I believe password protection is on by default

Thanks for responding and your help BL!
I went in and set password to no (it must have been by default as I have no knowledge of that). I also found a few other things which I changed in hopes it would help: Under homegroup I set picture, music, video to allow sharing of libaries; and set share media to stream picture, music, video; I set sharing to on for public folder sharing. I am only using the 103 for music, not the 203.
When I tried it again, I now show two devices. One shows USER-PC, and one shows USER-PC:User. Under USER-PC it has one folder labeled Music. Clicked on that, and I'm back with the User name/Password. I tried multiple times to bypass it as you said, but can't get in.
So I went back to the other "device", USER-PC:User, clicked on that, got in, and found a folder also labeled Music, and clicked on that. Under that I found mutiple folders: All Music, Genre, All Artists, Contributing Artists, Album Artists, Composers, Albums, Rating, Music Playlists, and Folders. None of those folders appear in my Music Library! Where do they come from? Under Folders I found another folder called Music, and under that a folder called Sample Music with two files in it. I clicked on both files and the 103 played both. The only thing is nowhere shows my DSD and FLAC file that are in my MUSIC library! And the two files I could play at first I couldn't find in my library, but later found them in a folder called Sample Music that I never put there. Where did these files come from, and why can't I see or play my FLACs and DSDs from the Oppo? None of this makes sense to me. Even more ironic is that I can now play photos and videos on my computer on the Oppo, but no music!!

The sample music files are part of the Windows install. What happend when you copy your flac and DSD files from your own music folder to the standard music folder where the sample files are?
I already thought about that. I moved a MC DSD (.dsf) file over to the Sample Music folder, and the 103 wouldn't see it there either. I also tried moving it in to the Public Music/Sample Music folder, and it couldn't find it there either. By the way, all of my music files I put under the music folder, but they also appeared in the "My Music" Folder. Why the automactic duplication? What's the difference between Music and My Music folders?

It has been a while for me since I owned an Oppo so my knowledge might be a bit out dated. The files are multichannel flac and dsd files and you are browsing to them using the Oppo interface on a tv screen of are you using the Media Control app? What I still had the Oppo 105 I used the Media Control app which worked fine with shared folders.

It has been a while for me since I owned an Oppo so my knowledge might be a bit out dated. The files are multichannel flac and dsd files and you are browsing to them using the Oppo interface on a tv screen of are you using the Media Control app? What I still had the Oppo 105 I used the Media Control app which worked fine with shared folders.
When you say "media control app", do you mean what's on the Oppo (the "Network" selection on the Oppo home screen), to look for the files on my computer? That's what I'm using.

I already thought about that. I moved a MC DSD (.dsf) file over to the Sample Music folder, and the 103 wouldn't see it there either. I also tried moving it in to the Public Music/Sample Music folder, and it couldn't find it there either. By the way, all of my music files I put under the music folder, but they also appeared in the "My Music" Folder. Why the automactic duplication? What's the difference between Music and My Music folders?

I'm able to access my music files from my Win. 7 Pro. computer to my Oppo 205 under the Network menu using something called SMB and making sure you have sharing set for all the music folders you're trying to access. *Note - I'm no network expert, and can't give you advice on any security issues. I just know mine works. Sometimes what you see is related to Windows Media Player and Playlists and doesn't actually help with direct access to your music files iirc.

Thanks for responding and your help BL!
I went in and set password to no (it must have been by default as I have no knowledge of that). I also found a few other things which I changed in hopes it would help: Under homegroup I set picture, music, video to allow sharing of libaries; and set share media to stream picture, music, video; I set sharing to on for public folder sharing. I am only using the 103 for music, not the 203.
When I tried it again, I now show two devices. One shows USER-PC, and one shows USER-PC:User. Under USER-PC it has one folder labeled Music. Clicked on that, and I'm back with the User name/Password. I tried multiple times to bypass it as you said, but can't get in.
So I went back to the other "device", USER-PC:User, clicked on that, got in, and found a folder also labeled Music, and clicked on that. Under that I found mutiple folders: All Music, Genre, All Artists, Contributing Artists, Album Artists, Composers, Albums, Rating, Music Playlists, and Folders. None of those folders appear in my Music Library! Where do they come from? Under Folders I found another folder called Music, and under that a folder called Sample Music with two files in it. I clicked on both files and the 103 played both. The only thing is nowhere shows my DSD and FLAC file that are in my MUSIC library! And the two files I could play at first I couldn't find in my library, but later found them in a folder called Sample Music that I never put there. Where did these files come from, and why can't I see or play my FLACs and DSDs from the Oppo? None of this makes sense to me. Even more ironic is that I can now play photos and videos on my computer on the Oppo, but no music!!
Those are part of the windows install. I would disable those music sharing settings. They are pretty much useless unless you want to use Windows built in media sharing. Simply go to the top level directory with your music, select it and right click, go to properties and share it with access to everyone. Or use a media server such as foobar. Windows sharing can be a pain many a times. I personally dont use windows sharing for much due to its flakiness. May be somebody with more expertise on windows sharing can chime in.

I'm able to access my music files from my Win. 7 Pro. computer to my Oppo 205 under the Network menu using something called SMB and making sure you have sharing set for all the music folders you're trying to access. *Note - I'm no network expert, and can't give you advice on any security issues. I just know mine works. Sometimes what you see is related to Windows Media Player and Playlists and doesn't actually help with direct access to your music files iirc.
Are you talking about the "Network and Settings" on the PC, or "Network" on the 103's home menu? Neither place has anything labeled "SMB". As I said above Under homegroup I set picture, music, video to allow sharing of libaries; and set share media to stream picture, music, video; I set sharing to on for public folder sharing.

Are you talking about the "Network and Settings" on the PC, or "Network" on the 103's home menu? Neither place has anything labeled "SMB". As I said above Under homegroup I set picture, music, video to allow sharing of libaries; and set share media to stream picture, music, video; I set sharing to on for public folder sharing.
Don't know what the 103 home menu looks like, but on the 205 there is a home menu just called "Network" and depending on the settings the Oppo sees on my wired network it will discover the SMB. I set up file sharing with all the "specific" folders I wanted to access under my computer's windows File Explorer, not under homegroup.

Also, the Network access to my computer is not something I use much; because I prefer just plugging in a large USB Solid State Drive to the front of the Oppo to avoid all this complex & frustrating Windows network bullshit. Heck maybe even Virus software on your computer may have an effect on access, as sometimes it works fine and other times it's flakey (that's a technical term!) And also the constant hits my mechanical hard drive would have to work on with all those huge file sizes for music.

Don't know what the 103 home menu looks like, but on the 205 there is a home menu just called "Network" and depending on the settings the Oppo sees on my wired network it will discover the SMB. I set up file sharing with all the "specific" folders I wanted to access under my computer's windows File Explorer, not under homegroup. . Also, the Network access to my computer is not something I use much; because I prefer just plugging in a large USB Solid State Drive to the front of the Oppo to avoid all this complex & frustrating Windows network bullshit. Heck maybe even Virus software on your computer may have an effect on access, as sometimes it works fine and other times it's flakey (that's a technical term!) And also the constant hits my mechanical hard drive would have to work on with all those huge file sizes for music.
I can really agree with you about the BS. The 103's menu looks like the 205's (I have both).
I don't have a program in windows called File Explorer. Did you mean Windows Explorer? I looked at that and I have all the music directories saying at the bottom of the screen "State: Shared".
What USB SSD do you have, where did you buy it, and what capacity is it?
Thanks for your help Pup!

You should be able to do a search on the computer and find File Explorer (showing all your file folders.)
Here's the SSD I like, these things have come way down in price the last couple of years, hundreds of $$$$!

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-T5-P...g+USB+2TB+SSD&qid=1565902358&s=gateway&sr=8-3
Also, I'm not sure, but I may have gone into my Virus software (Mcafee) and found the home network device section and told it to Trust the Oppo by it's IP address. The 205 doesn't have any online software other than updates AFAIR.

I can really agree with you about the BS. The 103's menu looks like the 205's (I have both).
I don't have a program in windows called File Explorer. Did you mean Windows Explorer? I looked at that and I have all the music directories saying at the bottom of the screen "State: Shared".
What USB SSD do you have, where did you buy it, and what capacity is it?
Thanks for your help Pup!

Yeah my bad, seems like Microsoft just changed the name to Windows Explorer; you can also just click the Home (Start) button lower left and then Computer on the right menu to access files/folders etc. I tried to search my computer for File Explorer and came up empty -LOL!
Here's some stuff off Google...

W-FE.jpg

Back