Need Some Advice - OPPO DV-970HD Repair Needed

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cibola

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
I have a OPPO DV-970HD that I recently moved to the garage for increased listened time, yes I have it pretty bad;). I put it on an upper shelf to keep it out of the way but unfortunately I pushed down on the disc tray while changing discs and now it won't close or play. I took the cover off but couldn't figure it out, certainly not my specialty. I believe something is just out of alignment, not broken and not an electronic problem. I'd like to get it fixed, any ideas?

I think your best free option is to email Oppo Digital and ask them. Others have received advice for free from Oppo. The worst they will say is send it in for $X. Otherwise, I would open it and eyeball the mechanism to see if there is something loose, broken or obviuosly out of place. Another bad clue would be if there is something rattling loose inside.

I think your best free option is to email Oppo Digital and ask them. Others have received advice for free from Oppo. The worst they will say is send it in for $X. Otherwise, I would open it and eyeball the mechanism to see if there is something loose, broken or obviuosly out of place. Another bad clue would be if there is something rattling loose inside.
Thanks Circ, nothing is rattling. I'll contact OPPO and if it costs a few dollars no problem.

Meanwhile, it turns out that my long retired JVC XV-N50 (says Digital Direct Progressive Scan) is doing justice to my DTS-CD's and the Dolby on DVD-A's, currently tunisia, captain caper. Listening in stereo for now but . . . It's very good.

Last edited:
Not familiar with the subtitles somebody inform me, did you really go to a fiddy cent? Thought I had something with my Gorillaz Feel Good inc DVD Single, no surround but it's nostalgic for me. Includes Spitting Out The Demons and Bill Murray, it's a DVD-V. The creaking wood, wind and sound of bird are a bit eerie.

Last edited:
Thanks Circ, nothing is rattling. I'll contact OPPO and if it costs a few dollars no problem.

The Oppo support folks are very good about fielding questions about their products.
And offering repair service.

I went to their Menlo Park offices this afternoon for replacement ear pads for my Oppo PM-3 headphones.

The choice was $39 for the pads or $10 more ($49) to get the pads and have Oppo Support install them.
I chose the latter - $10 for expert installation was a deal I couldn't pass up! :)

I had my old 970HD repaired last year. Very fast turnaound time. In fact they repaired it the day it arrived then in the evening got it out on a 3 day shipping order and by golly I think I got it 3 days after it arrived in Cali.
They flashed the firmware, I had to reflash it with custom firmware so it would once again play SACD-R.
I use this as a backup to my BDP-80 which also plays SACD-R but with no firmware changes.

[email protected]

Dear Robert Belew,
Thank you for contacting OPPO Digital Technical Support - we will be replying to you soon. If you are experiencing a technical issue, we are here to help. Oftentimes, technical issues are the result of improper setup or configuration and can be resolved quickly and painlessly.
Help us help you – Sometimes we will need to gather additional information about your system and have you perform a number of troubleshooting steps to help isolate the cause of the issue. Some troubleshooting steps may not seem to make sense initially but performing them will help expedite a resolution.
Knowledge Base – We have a great repository of knowledge base articles that address a number of common issues. The resolution to your technical issue may just be a few clicks away by visiting your product’s support page.
In the meantime - For OPPO Blu-ray players: Have you tried power-cycling your OPPO Blu-ray player? Have you checked to make sure it has the latest firmware installed? New versions of the firmware are intended to resolve certain issues that some customers may encounter. Sometimes just reinstalling the firmware and/or resetting the player to factory defaults can resolve the issue.
Our main goal is to resolve your technical issue(s) as quickly and simply as possible - we will be responding shortly.
Best Regards,
OPPO Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
http://www.oppodigital.com

I just had to send in my 203 for repairs

Hoping it comes back...now using sony ubp x800...degraded sound on dvda n sacd cuz my avr has no hdmi...using coax...bummer

Havent bought newer avr...was just about to pull the trigger when this coronavirus shit started...obviously that has now been put on hold :(

I'm looking for the message about sending it in. Arghhh.

Oppo Repair Service Info: OPPO Digital - Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Players

E-mail they sent me regarding return:

1588461574343.png

Basically, Oppo will attempt to resolve the issue without you sending the product in. If that fails, then you pay in advance for repairs (if it's out of warranty). Upon receiving payment Oppo will send you an RMA# and return instructions. (y)

Sent the OPPO DV-970HD off to Menlo Park today. Might not be worth effort but the idea of not having a backup universal player is uncomfortable. Funny story about the packing of the player. I read Oppo's email about being sure to use plenty of bubble wrap and picked up a roll at the local ACE on Sunday. I got the cardboard box ready and was looking all over the house for the wrap, couldn't find it anywhere. After about fifteen minutes, I thought only one thing could cause me to lose a roll of bubble wrap and there was only once place I hadn't looked. Our seven year old daughter had put it in her "Frozen" toy chest and closed the latch.

Sent the OPPO DV-970HD off to Menlo Park today. Might not be worth effort but the idea of not having a backup universal player is uncomfortable. Funny story about the packing of the player. I read Oppo's email about being sure to use plenty of bubble wrap and picked up a roll at the local ACE on Sunday. I got the cardboard box ready and was looking all over the house for the wrap, couldn't find it anywhere. After about fifteen minutes, I thought only one thing could cause me to lose a roll of bubble wrap and there was only once place I hadn't looked. Our seven year old daughter had put it in her "Frozen" toy chest and closed the latch.

There are still universal players being made...but there all using hdmi...No analogs

Sony
Pioneer
Yamaha

Prices on used older machines r getting crazy...especially Oppo s

Back