New Alan Parsons in surround! "The Secret" out in April

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A new single premiered today:

And Billboard has an article today:

Alan Parson is as surprised as anyone that 15 years have gone by between his last studio album and The Secret, whose video for the closing track "I Can't Get There From Here" is premiering exclusively below.

"I've been keeping busy," the musician-producer-engineer -- who won a Grammy Award this year for best immersive audio album -- tells Billboard, ticking off a range of endeavors from buying a new home and building a new studio to putting together special reissues of the Alan Parsons Project's Tales of Mystery and Imagination and Eye in the Sky and an album for ukulele virtuoso Jake Shimabukuro (2012's Grand Ukulele), who guests on The Secret. "Throughout this period Frontiers have been chasing me to make a new studio album, and eventually we came to an agreement and literally came to a deal that I could live with. Here it is, and here we are, almost 15 years later. I have no problem with that."

While most of The Secret's 11 tracks were written especially for the album, "I Can't Get There From Here" is different. It was presented to Parsons by Patrick Reed Johnson, a film director who also writes songs. "We pretty much re-recorded the whole song," Parsons says, noting that Frontiers "picked that song for being the strong contender for a single." The song is featured in Johnson's new film 5-25-77, a cinematic memoir about seeing Star Wars on the day it was released and how it inspired him to start making movies himself. Johnson directed the video, which includes scenes from the movie as well as glimpses of Parsons and Jared Mahone, who sings on the track.

"We shot some of it around my ranch here, on the hills in Santa Barbara," Parsons says. "It looks like a pretty sweet, nice movie. This will probably be the (end credits) song, as it is the closing song on the album as well."

The Secret, due out April 26, also features vocals by Jason Mraz ("Miracle"), Foreigner co-founder Lou Gramm ("Sometimes") and longtime Parsons concert vocalist P.J. Olsson ("Beyond the Years of Glory"), with Parsons lending his pipes to "As Lights Fall" and "Soiree Fantastique." Genesis alumnus Steve Hackett plays on a rendition of Paul Dukas' "The Sorcerer's Apprentice," which kicks off the album.

Unlike 2004's A Valid Path, on which Parsons explored electronica, The Secret should sound familiar to longtime fans.

"We wanted to go back to the basic stylistic values of the albums past," Parsons explains. "We set out to come up with songs that could've been released on, say, Eye in the Sky or I, Robot or any of those albums. One of the things that people have said about my music is that it's timeless -- the various albums could've been released in reverse order and no one really would've noticed the difference. I'm kind of stuck in a '70s/'80s time zone, I think, unable to escape it. And we stuck to another trademark with the different vocalists, and some big names as well."

Parsons takes his live band on the road starting Feb. 26 in Quebec City, with dates throughout April in North America and a European run right after that into June -- and, Parsons promises, more to follow. Meanwhile, he's still enjoying the afterglow of the Grammy win for the Eye in the Sky -- 35th Anniversary Edition. "All my fellow engineers who were on the voting panel said, 'Oh, you're going to win this year, don't worry,'" Parsons recalls. He learned about it, meanwhile, while shipboard on the On The Blue Cruise, where his band members were watching the pre-show awards ceremony on their phones. "We were on the lifeboat deck doing the drill...and then suddenly there came a cheer from this one group of people," Parsons remembers. "It's so nice to win. I'm very proud of it -- and I hope we can get another one for the new album, too."

I wonder if our fingers will turn orange by handling the disk?

Maybe THAT'S the SECRET!

See the source image

The Turn of a Friendly Curd

Last edited:
"We shot some of it around my ranch here, on the hills in Santa Barbara," Parsons says. "It looks like a pretty sweet, nice movie. This will probably be the (end credits) song, as it is the closing song on the album as well."

Or a simple case of TOO MUCH 'GOPPY' RANCH DRESSING:

See the source image

Last edited:
ALAN PARSONS - The Secret - Digipak CD+DVD - LTD. SIGNED EDITION - SHOP EXCLUSIVE!
GENRE: Rock

Eleven-time Grammy nominated legendary music icon and master of progressive rock, Alan Parsons will return with a new album, “The Secret” on April 19, 2019.
Alan’s longtime hobby has been performing magic and this brand new album showcases his own passion for the craft, hence the title “The Secret.” The album will see a return to the pop rock sound with symphonic and progressive rock interludes which the Alan Parsons Project was known for.
Alan’s history in the music business one is a storied and unqiue one. He was fortunate enough to work as assistant engineer on the last two albums by The Beatles and after he became a full-fledged recording engineer, he went on to work with Paul McCartney and The Hollies, among many others. But it was his contribution as engineer on Pink Floyd’s classic "The Dark Side Of The Moon" that really got him the world’s attention. That soon led to striking successes as a producer, notably with Pilot’s “Magic", John Miles’ “Highfly" and “Music”, and Steve Harley’s "Make Me Smile". He also produced the hugely successful "Year Of The Cat" album with Al Stewart and two albums with American prog rock band Ambrosia.
In 1975 he met Eric Woolfson who not only became his manager, but joined forces with Alan as a songwriting and performing partner for what became known as The Alan Parsons Project. The APP’s debut album, "Tales Of Mystery And Imagination" based on the works of Edgar Allan Poe paved the way for signing to Clive Davis’ newly launched Arista label and a string of hit albums, namely, "I Robot" (1977), “Pyramid" (1978), "The Turn of a Friendly Card" (1980), "Eye in the Sky" (1982), "Ammonia Avenue" (1984), "Vulture Culture" (1985), “Stereotomy" (1986), and “Gaudi" (1987).
With his long-standing previous APP collaborators, guitarist Ian Bairnson, drummer Stuart Elliott and orchestral arranger Andrew Powell, Alan dropped the “Project” identity for Alan Parsons’ “Try Anything Once” in 1994. The partnership continued for “On Air” in 1996 and “The Time Machine” in 1999. During this time, the first incarnation of “Alan Parsons Live Project” toured extensively all over the globe. Following Alan’s relocation to California in 1999, a brand-new Live Project band was formed in 2003. Another band reshuffle happened in 2010. The current live band consists of Alan on acoustic guitar, keyboards and vocals, P.J. Olsson on vocals, Tom Brooks on keyboards, Guy Erez on bass, Jeff Kollman on guitar and vocals, Danny Thompson on drums, Todd Cooper on sax, percussion and vocals, Dan Tracey on guitar and vocals, and Tyson Montgomery Leonard on violin.
Parsons’ last album "A Valid Path", a unique foray into the world of electronica, was released in 2004.

Tracklisting:
1. THE SORCERER’S APPRENTICE (instrumental)*
  1. MIRACLE (lead vocal: Jason Mraz)
  2. AS LIGHTS FALL (lead vocal: Alan Parsons)
  3. ONE NOTE SYMPHONY (lead vocal: Todd Cooper)
  4. SOMETIMES (lead vocal: Lou Gramm)
  5. SOIRÉE FANTASTIQUE (lead vocal: Todd Cooper, Alan Parsons)
  6. FLY TO ME (lead vocal: Mark Mikel)
  7. REQUIEM (lead vocal: Todd Cooper)
  8. BEYOND THE YEARS OF GLORY (lead vocal: PJ Olsson)§
  9. THE LIMELIGHT FADES AWAY (lead vocal: Jordan Huffman)
  10. I CAN’T GET THERE FROM HERE (lead vocal: Jared Mahone)§ featured in Motion Picture “5-25-77”

DVD in Hi definition Mix 5.1 audio.

It also says it on the NON signed edition also

"DVD in Hi definition mix 5.1 audio" does not necessarily mean it is a true DVD-A (ie: MLP encoded). That terminology could mean 24/96 DTS.
Regardless I’m still not buying it.....so far what I’ve heard I don’t like ...... as stated much earlier where is “I-Robot”!!.....now that would be a slam dunk....speaking of “March Madness”!! LOL

Back