New mix for "Ommadawn"?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaybird100

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Now that Mike Oldfield has released the new, 2009 remix of "Tubular Bells" as part of his catalog's move from Virgin to Mercury, has anyone heard anything about the same treatment for "Ommadawn"? The new 5.1 mix of TB is pretty amazing, so I'm hoping to hear the same thing being done for his other works.

If you own the new CD of "Tubular Bells," put the CD in your computer drive and go to http://www.pushentertainment.com/283 . Fill in some basic info, and then you can watch or download a video of Mike talking about the reissue series. He says he does plan to remix both "Hergest Ridge" and "Ommadawn," but he doesn't specify 5.1.

J. D.

MO only got $6.6 Million for his house in Majorca so I can see he needs the cash.
So he moved to Mallorca, after living on Ibiza and in England for years. Now the Bahama's, he seems to like Islands :D
While he was not really satisfied with the original TB (soundwise), he seemed quite happy with Ommadawn. I'm not sure he will find it necessary, but we'll see if a corporation will ask him to make another anniversary edition. let's see 2010 would be 35th, 2015 is better 40th :)

I'd love to hear a new 5.1 of Ommadawn, as I always did prefer this to either TB or HR.
But please - not just dobly bloody dirgital. It's like putting a sack over the speakers, it really is.
Sure it can be okay - and okay is about the kindest thing I can say for DD music.
I have to confess that I was underwhelmed by the new bells mix though. The metadata settings were all wrong
(Dialnorm at -27?? That is attenuating L/R/Ls/Rs by -4dB relative to centre, and for music releases dialnorm should be OFF at all times).

Music releases deserve to be DTS at least, and certainly not just DD. It is supposed to be a music release, after all, and to have the bitrate wasted on the silly visuals is inexplicable to me.

I agree, the dd is a joke. Which is why I didn't even bother to pick it up. I have the SACD and quadradisc, I don't need a 3rd surround mix if they're going to put it out on a joke of a format. I did make sure to send an email with my opinions on this release and urging him to at least add dts to future releases, and I was told my comments were forwarded directly to him. But my single email is hardly going to change Mike's mind, I recommend everyone do the same, so hopefully he will give it some thought for future releases. If you don't speak, you won't be heard.

I have it in QuadraDisc, SQ in the "Boxed" Set, the SACD and the 2003 DVD-A.
Unless he does a "Boxed" Blu-Ray, no point in buying a DD (read: glorified MC-MP3) of it.
BTW, Ommadawn was my favorite. Especially the little "Horseback" ditty at the end!

-B

Ommadawn is my favorite of Oldfield! I think the HDCD release was an improvement over the CD original (Did they use better tapes, or was it just intelligent EQ?), and I would definitely by a 5.1 release.

Back