New Opeth album ”In Cauda Venenum” box w/ blu-ray 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn, here we go again - I’d be happy with just a CD/BDA dual disc version myself. I also hope the production is better than what was on display for their last album, Sorceress. That sucker sounded so bad, I’ve never made it thru a full listen and I love Opeth!

Agree, I probably won’t jump on this unless there is a stand alone-ish release.

Thanks for the link.
First spin and I already dig it more than the first track I heard from Sorceress.
I have the double CD ordered; can't muster the enthusiasm to order another box set with an LP I don't want; especially based on their last two releases.

Some of the songs - definitely yes! But some of them, mostly the more slow ones with less dense soundscape, sounds ok to my ears.

I purchased the Japanese 2cd/1dvd-v release of Sorceress just to get the 5.1 at a cheaper price, but as many have said, it's simply not very good sonically or from a mixing perspective. In looking at all the purchase options for "In Clauda Venenum", I see something like 7 different vinyl options (including the 2X DLP boxset) and a cassette!!??? But with all that, no standalone blu-ray or dvd (with or without bundled cd's). Are they nuts? It's hard to believe Opeth have developed such contempt for their 5.1 fans, joining other bands like Roxy Music. Has Mikael Åkerfeldt seen some of King Crimson's or Steven Wilson's or Jethro Tull's 5.1 releases, you know, releases with actual value for money? At this point I don't care whether the 5.1 mix is any good (not likely after Sorceress). Even if Wilson did it, which he did not, I won't be paying ~$80 for it that includes 2 double vinyl sets I don't want or need.

Back