New Opeth album ”In Cauda Venenum” box w/ blu-ray 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found the 4.1 to be pretty good. It starts off very conservative with mostly front heavy sound and occasional sound effects, harmony vocals in the rears. For me though, it really goes up several gears from Charlatan onwards. The Garroter gets very experimental with the surrounds, with different things in all 4 corners. I'm hearing lots of strings in the rears also. Definitely not an up mix and nowhere near the debacle of Sorceress (which I sold).

Not only that but sonically it just sounds better and much less compressed than the stereo mix.

Overall, the recording is pinched and lacks headroom. It’s as if the band is playing in a different room. Imagine an engine revving but its starved of oxygen....no horsepower. There are some discreet moments but they’re brief and fail to open up the soundscape.

That’s just my opinion man...if others are digging it, cool. I’m unloading mine asap..

It finally arrived... and I'm digging it! Sounds great turned up loud, IMO, and there seems to be enough surround activity (hey, it's not Steven Wilson, but it's not double stereo either)... only 3 songs in, so far, and I'm glad I purchased it (I have to admit, I was a little worried, lol). Looking forward to ripping and "futzing" :)

And musically, this is just killer!

Last edited:
This is an absolutely wonderful album. This is Opeth at their most melodic, while still true to their progressive and metal roots. The songs are strong from start to finish... this is the first Opeth album where I immediately liked everything (usually their albums take me a few listens, with some of the tunes instantly accessible, and others growing on me with time). The fidelity sounds fine to me, although the recording levels are a little lower than most of my albums, so you have to turn it up (but you'll want to!) In terms of surround mix, I love it. This is a 4.1 mix, with the drums, bass, and lead vocals mostly up front. Every song has interesting and engaging discrete elements coming from the rears, usually keys/strings and vocals, but also occasional guitar flourishes and sound effects/Swedish voices. There are also lead vocal "effects" throughout coming from the rears which I find enhance the size of my room and add to the overall surround effect (although I can see how these effects could be annoying to some). Comparing to other Opeth surround mixes, this is on par with something like the Blackwater Park mix.

One of the coolest things about this release, though, is all the cool free stuff you get when you purchase the 5.1 blu-ray: TWO double vinyl albums, one in Swedish, one in English, a double CD, a poster, and a big box.

Content = 3/3; Fidelity = 2.5/3; Surround = 2/3 ; no bonus point (don't have room to store all the free stuff). Rounding up, I give it an 8!

Some notes:
Garden of Earthly Delights - A keyboard intro with discrete keyboards in the rears that gradually build in intensity and rear sound effects/voices. This track sounds great with the rears raised 4dB (this is the only track that I felt needed the rears raised).
Dignity - Absolutely killer prog track! Starts off with the entire band screaming repeatedly in the rear channels... a wake up call after the first track lulls you into a daze. Nice calm middle section with acoustic guitars up front and bells moving back and forth in the rear channels, then back to some epic rock with string keyboard stuff and haunting laughter in the rear channels.
Heart in Hand - Classic metal groove with some discrete vocal elements, short guitar bursts, sound effects and keys isolated in the rears, but half the time the rear channels just have echoes and reverb (I'm usually annoyed by this kind of thing, but it's actually a cool effect that makes the sound stage huge). The song ends with a gorgeous mellow outro that really fills the room... and the lead vocals coming mainly from the rears!
Next of Kin - Epic. Lots of keys/strings and background vocals in the rears. Also prominent lead vocal echoes in the rears, but they sound cool to me (sounds like he's singing in a stone-walled great hall in a castle on a mountain top. Yep.)
Lovelorn Crime - A beautiful and powerful ballad... keys/strings and lead vocal reverb effects in the rears. Gorgeous.
Charlatan - Vocal effects, background vocals, strings, and creepy keyboard sounds in the rears. Ends with a Swedish conversation in the rear channels and monks chanting in the front channels. Overall, this reminds me of something off "Hand.Cannot.Erase."
Universal Truth - Keys, strings, background vocals very prominent in the rears.
The Garroter - Lead acoustic guitar in the right rear. Piano Left rear. Drums left front. Very discrete. Strings in the rear. Voices drifting around the room. Kind of a jazzy tune! My only criticism of this one is that the vocal "scat" that mimics the lead guitar at the end would have sounded better in a different channel (they both overlap in the right rear channel).
Continuum - F***ing great! One of the best songs on the album! Background vocal harmonies and keys in the rears. Some cool sections with two different discrete keyboard parts split between the rear speakers.
All Things Will Pass - Opens with a cool acoustic guitar riff that moves back and forth between left rear and right front before the thundering epic electric riffs take over. Keys and acoustic guitar in the rears. Lead vocals bounce back and forth between the rear speakers midway through the song. Great way to end the album!

This mix is disappointing. It has a lot of textures and elements to break out into the rears; and yet, it’s all crowded into the fronts and center.

WTF is with the echo. Boo....save your money
We're having two very different experiences. This entire album is plenty discrete. Drums, guitars and main vocal mostly up front, but tons of elements dominant in the surrounds.
This is so good I'm afraid I'm going to take the plunge for the box...

We're having two very different experiences. This entire album is plenty discrete. Drums, guitars and main vocal mostly up front, but tons of elements dominant in the surrounds.
Your enthusiasm is enough to persuade me Mike. Had this on my wish list for awhile, as different opinions on the mix, have stopped me buying it.

Your enthusiasm is enough to persuade me Mike. Had this on my wish list for awhile, as different opinions on the mix, have stopped me buying it.
I appreciate the confidence! I'd feel a little squeamish, except skherbeck is hearing the same thing as I am. I could live with a bit more aggressive mix, but I actually think this is really well done.

Really well done?! Nope! We have a LOT of better mixes these days!
There are obviously some polar opinions going on. I feel no need to convince you that this mix works. It does for some of us. Not others.
This hobby is all about enjoyment, to me. If you don't enjoy this mix, that's too bad.

I feel somewhere in the middle regarding the surround mix on "In Cauda Venenum". There are certainly better surround mixes out there , but I find the mix entertaining enough to give it a listen. The album itself is spectacular in my opinion , and the surround mix to me is a nice enough alternative listen.

Where did you find the Blu-Ray without the box set? I've scoured eBay but no luck.

Has anyone else here noticed that the Swedish version seems to have a bit more vocal work than the English version? I haven't listened to both enough times to make a good comparison, but at least on Dignity and Continuum it seems as if there is some more harmonising and layering in the vocals at parts.

Has anyone else here noticed that the Swedish version seems to have a bit more vocal work than the English version? I haven't listened to both enough times to make a good comparison, but at least on Dignity and Continuum it seems as if there is some more harmonising and layering in the vocals at parts.

I've noticed the same. I seems like a bit more care or effort was put into the Swedish vocals. I think it has become my preference.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

I've noticed the same. I seems like a bit more care or effort was put into the Swedish vocals. I think it has become my preference.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Comparing the tracks in Audacity, the Swedish indeed has extra backing vocals, notably in Continuum, where they even seem to have different lyrics for some of the backing vocals. Interesting.

Incidentally, I hit on something that has no right to work but sort of does? I accidentally put both the Swedish and English tracks on top of one another in Audacity, and they actually sound kind of good overlapping. YMMV!

Comparing the tracks in Audacity, the Swedish indeed has extra backing vocals, notably in Continuum, where they even seem to have different lyrics for some of the backing vocals. Interesting.

Incidentally, I hit on something that has no right to work but sort of does? I accidentally put both the Swedish and English tracks on top of one another in Audacity, and they actually sound kind of good overlapping. YMMV!

Swenglish!

Anyone else notice a slight gap of silence between tracks 9 and 10 on this? (haven't checked the English version but it happens on the Swedish). I thought I had a bad rip but the the disc plays like that in my Oppo 203 also.

Back