New Opeth "Heritage" release on Sept. 20 w/Steven Wilson surround mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmer

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Apparently lost in the glut of ridiculously overpriced "kitchensink" boxsets . The new Opeth surround release "Heritage" has gone relatively unnoticed around these parts. Good news - fear not - the Cookie Monster has left the building. What's left of this Steven Wilson mixed opus is the band getting in touch with their Deep Purplish, King Crimsonlike selfs. Plenty of soaring prog passages soothed over by softer lilting mellotron infusions. Comes out Sept 20 in the US - CD/DVD deluxe version - no word on the codec - I'm hoping for at least DTS 96/24...you can hear the full album streaming via NPR here;
http://www.npr.org/2011/09/11/140288664/first-listen-opeth-heritage

Interesting to hear what "Damnation" with the crunch of the heavier albums will sound like, although I do wonder what the difference between a Kermit-local-less Opeth and PT will be.

An SW mix is as close to sure thing as you can get, and probably all you'll ever see me spending actual money on.

That's great news! What rate is the DTS stream?

Let us know how the mix is. I am really enjoying the album (in stereo), but I haven't received my copy of the special edition yet. I can't wait to hear how it sounds in 5.1.

Brad

Hopefully the full dts 1.5mbps and not the awful 768 rate that isn't as good as Dolby at 640 or 448.

DTS instead of dolby is great news! This could be the biggest sleeper of the year for me.

That's great news! What rate is the DTS stream?

Let us know how the mix is. I am really enjoying the album (in stereo), but I haven't received my copy of the special edition yet. I can't wait to hear how it sounds in 5.1.

Brad

My OPPO's show a total bit-rate (Audio/Video) of 2.4 Mbps. The mix is typical SW, Great! Die-hard Opeth fans may not accept this release, no growling.

Mine should be arriving from Amazon by Thursday. Been listening to the stereo on Spotify.......this is going to take some getting used to. Losing the light/dark dynamic the switch between vocal stylings brought makes the material sound a bit samey, no matter how great the arrangements are, at first. I'm sure it will grow on me over time.

Mine should be arriving from Amazon by Thursday. Been listening to the stereo on Spotify.......this is going to take some getting used to. Losing the light/dark dynamic the switch between vocal stylings brought makes the material sound a bit samey, no matter how great the arrangements are, at first. I'm sure it will grow on me over time.

I got my copy today. Gave it a quick spin. This is a bit of "prog stew" - very reminiscent of The Flower Kings - who also wear their many influences plainly on their sleeves. The Steven Wilson mix sounds great and although it's plain DTS, it sounds pretty good fidelity wise at first listen. I for one, am glad that the growling is gone. The band can play, and the singing while not memorable, is OK. More listening tomorrow...

It seems like Opeth has taken a new direction starting with this album. This is upsetting a lot of the "old" fans but might gain them new fans. And good news for those who couldn't listen to grunting vocals, they are gone. Everyone who likes prog/rock should consider this new disc in surround mixed by Steven Wilson and let grow.

Hopefully the full dts 1.5mbps and not the awful 768 rate that isn't as good as Dolby at 640 or 448.
Sorry, but have you actually checked that (pick it out in a blind test)? If you prefer Dolby 448kps to DTS 768kps you're in luck anyway, cause there is both Dolby DD and DTS. And don't forget to complain that it isn't DVD-A :rolleyes:.

BTW a quick google search shows report of a full 1.5mbps bitstream.

I like the album, much better for the lack of growel IMHO.

The first spin shows the mix to be another great mix cant wait to crank it up

Received my discs. I was prepared for the shift in sound. It's eh .. lovely as opposed to aggressive. Good use of the sound field in surround.

I love this liner note: "Mastered in Abbey Road Studios by Peter Mew with Mikael Ă…kerfeldt present (drinking coffee)"

I gave this a thorough listen today, and I think that it's an excellent surround title that deserves to get much more attention than it's getting here. First things first, the Steven Wilson mix - superb as always and as he has a close connection with the band his understanding of their music combined with his studio expertise has produced an outstanding result. Secondly and of great importance to the future of Surround audio - It's NEW MUSIC! I think that there is a preconception of Opeth as a churning Swedish Death Metal band with inarticulate screaming - made for hordes of disaffected youth -not entirely untrue- but I think that if you dig deeper into their catalog there is a much more intelligent and soulful undercurrent. Their prog leanings were also evident but trying to capture a moment here or there between the sledgehammers made the listening a bit of chore. "Heritage" lays that all to waste with a Prog epic - albeit gentler in scope but still with searing passages and moments of quiet and lovely melancholia. As I had stated in an earlier post, they wear their many influences on their sleeve - besides the obvious King Crimson and Porcupine Tree borrowings, I hear nods to Kings X, Swedish progsters The Flower Kings, and bits of Gentle Giant. Of course this could mean that they sound like a competent cover band but their artistry is evident and their arrangements, musicianship and execution are excellent. If you actually bought any of the KC/PT/Genesis/Moody Blues titles because you are fan of their music and not just a soulless collector of polycarbonate discs, then I would I highly recommend this title. And yes it would be better if it was DVD A or BD A - but it's not - its DTS (1536 kbps) and sounds just fine. And it has a cool "lenticular" 3D cover to boot.

Just got this one today... They've definitely got a "retro" thing going on with this album....

Excellent surround title as Elmer says...

The SW mix is spot on (did we expect anything else?) - definitely miles better than the other Opeth surround mixes I've heard (Still Life and Watershed).

I just listened to the surround mix last night. I had been listening to the stereo mix for a week or so, so I was familiar with the music already.

The mix is very good as expected. Perhaps not Steven's best work, but still very good. At first, I found the vocals through the center channel to be a bit too loud, but reducing the center channel by 1db through my Oppo 83SE seemed to correct that. Maybe I have to revisit my calibration. Anyone else notice the same?

My favorite tracks are Nepenthe and Haxprocess. Actually, the 4 tracks from Nepenthe through to The Lines in My Hand are awesome. I find the mix is more aggressive on these tracks compared to the first 4.

It really is too bad that this wasn't released in Hi-Res. DTS sounds good, but it could've been even better. I wonder what prevented this from being released on DVDA or BluRay. The cost of authoring or manufacturing those formats?

None of the Opeth surround albums are DVD-A or Blu Ray (n). You would have hoped that SW would have pressured Akerfeldt to go that way..... shame...

My guess is that it was out of Akerfeldt's & Wilson's control. Opeth are with Roadrunner Records (in North America anyways), and I don't think they have a track record of being Hi-Res friendly. Roadrunner have released other surround bonus disks, the poor Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos 5.1 mix for instance, and it is only DD 448k. Opeth - Watershed was DTS, but only 768k. Now, we have Heritage that is DTS 1.5M.

Small steps in the right direction!!

Back