New Pop/Soul/Jazz Surround SACDs - Billy Paul, Chase, George Benson, Weather Report (Sept 2018)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I happened to be auditioning the Chase album on iTunes. The image they have is of the SQ album. I wonder if it was ever released in straight stereo or just in quad. I also wonder then if the iTunes files are SQ encoded.

My first ever quad album was the Colombia Introduction to SQ. Chase's Open Up Wide was the introductory tune. The narrator says, "You're about to hear something fantastic," and then the Chase horns start going around the room. This one is a no brainer; and now in true discreet quad no less.

I happened to be auditioning the Chase album on iTunes. The image they have is of the SQ album. I wonder if it was ever released in straight stereo or just in quad. I also wonder then if the iTunes files are SQ encoded.

Used to wonder about this myself- turns out there is in fact an actual stereo mix. I picked up a stereo LP at a dollar store and it does not decode correctly. It may however be just be a stereo fold of the discrete 4 channel master, but whatever it is it’s NOT the same as the SQ.

Pretty sure the Spotify version is SQ, as are some CD pressings.

Having it on SACD is really a dream come true!

My understanding (which may be worthless) is that the stereo master(s?) fell victim to flood or fire or cosmic rays or something, leaving only the SQ encoded version in sufficiently good condition for current release.

I've also seen the SQ version used for the artwork on streaming services and have verified that the streamed versions decode properly.

My understanding (which may be worthless) is that the stereo master(s?) fell victim to flood or fire or cosmic rays or something, leaving only the SQ encoded version in sufficiently good condition for current release.

I've also seen the SQ version used for the artwork on streaming services and have verified that the streamed versions decode properly.
The version of “Chase” SQ released on the two CD’s I’ve heard is very low audio quality. Noisy with a strained-sounding frequency content. Here’s hoping DV’s source for the SACD is better.

The version of “Chase” SQ released on the two CD’s I’ve heard is very low audio quality. Noisy with a strained-sounding frequency content. Here’s hoping DV’s source for the SACD is better.

I really don't think Michael Dutton would release a sub par pair of Chase QUAD SACDs if the masters were in deplorable condition. What would be the point?

Wow. Serves me right for being off the forum for too many days. Wow... all five, into the shopping cart!
Have you ever heard the George Benson Quad?

The ironic thing is I just picked up a beautiful copy of Body Talk a few weeks ago, and have picked up equally clean copies of Johnnie Taylor Eargasm, Deodato Prelude, and Henry Mancini The Return of the Pink Panther
in the past month or so and all for good prices. Stuff I've never come across in person before until they got SA-CD releases - but I'm not complaining - I'm loving the D-V winning streak!!

Have you ever heard the George Benson Quad?

Yes.

It's the only music that I enjoyed in this latest batch. Tonally gorgeous, brilliant mix - beautifully discrete.

They all sound good, just like the previous batch, but the music has moved in a direction that no longer does it for me. It was the same with Audio Fidelity.

U.K. people are already getting these??? Super jealous.

yes! yes! yes! (and erm yes!!).. i was so excited ripping the packages open and knew exactly where to start, the one i was looking forward to most in this latest set of releases, Weather Report's "Tale Spinnin'".. and i was not disappointed, to finally hear the Quad in discrete master tape quality is an utter delight.

now partway thru the Chase 2-fer and so far so good, "Pure Music" has never sounded better.

Last edited:
I'm solid on 4/5 of these. Can somebody please convince me about the mix/fidelity of the Billy Paul live?
Fidelity is good on this one. Lead guitar and keyboards are discretely in the rears, and also crowd noise. The Q8 is just over 30 minutes so a bit on the short side.

I just listened to this one and as mentioned above guitar, keyboards, and the odd bit of Brass in the rear channels, and at the end of the songs, the crowd. Vocals etc. in the fronts. All-in-all its a pretty discrete mix. Fidelity is excellent, and the only song I discovered I knew was Me & Mrs. Jones. It is short and has no steelydave liner notes :(.

Musically I'd say it is accomplished Soul and of its era, pretty good, a typical mid-70s live performance, so 'slightly' self-indulgent (but no 20 minute drum solos etc.!) - can't think of a better way to describe it!

There is an interesting bit at the end of the album when the compare announces a 15 minute break, after which it will be the O'Jays, now was that captured and mixed to Quad?

On the Chase self-titled, I assume that nasty tonality problem with the Q8 is corrected? I think that's the one I'm most excited for.

It's a bright recording and that comes through on the new Surround Sound SACD.
But it is fun! :)

When it comes to immersive Surround, don't miss the Billy Paul "War of the Gods" album in Surround Sound SACD.
Some spacey panning on the title track.

Back