New "Prog Rock" 5.1 DVD Coming March 22:

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chiburb

U.K. progressive metal hopefuls TESSERACT will release their debut album, "One", on March 22 via Century Media Records. The follow-up to last year's "Concealing Fate" EP includes a bonus DVD that features "Concealing Fate" being performed live in the studio — no overdubs, no re-recording, just pure and raw; the way music was meant to be. The audio for the DVD will be available in stereo and a 5.1 Surround Sound mix. The DVD also features interviews and footage from the band's recent U.S. tour.

Commented TESSERACT bassist Amos Williams: "Ever since we first started performing and recording, we've always wanted to explore the idea of surround sound. The density and layers of TESSERACT's music lends itself perfectly to multichannel sound. So, we came up with the idea of filming and recording 'Concealing Fate' in 5.1 Surround Sound for a special DVD that would come as standard with the album release.

"It's really great for us to show you guys the evolution of the songs as they've grown slightly since we've started touring them.

"There is absolutely nothing better than the energy and euphoria of live music and hopefully with this DVD we've helped represent that. We enjoyed the experience and the result so much that we may just do the next album like this, too!"

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=152120

Not surprised to see this type of band (and Opeth....and Dimmu Borgir) embrace surround. If done correctly (and some of those Opeth mixes certainly are NOT), there's a lot to offer the listener.

Oh disappointment abounds. I read this thread then thought I should check out a couple of Tesseract tracks. Yeah, I guess the term 'progressive metal' fits one track I heard, but this band doesn't need to release an album in 5.1. I can get the same horrid raucous din by selecting 'Output Stereo To All Channels' on my receiver and playing any number of forgettable death metal CD's.

Back