New Surround Master coming! Its a jump to the left and a step to the right

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Charlie,

good news - im still waiting.

But there was in former times an idea with vu-meters or an display....
What ist about a display that is possible to show the good old vu-meters.

And, of course I´m a quadrahonic headphone collector, with some phonesockets (front/rear) ??

You are thinking of our surround pre amplifier project. It a much more comprehensive unit. Overture will be continuing with it again shortly.

Regards

Chucky

Bumping this topic. I am definitely looking forward to the Surround Master v2. I heard that we get a discount here on the forum. How is that done?

Hi Chucky - do you mean you are accepting orders and we should all do this now? Or is this just info for the future ( as I was guessing you were a couple of months away from production)?
Cheers.

Hi
I prefer not to take any funds until the thing is ready as the final date is hard to predict but its looking like a production start by January next year.

Hello everyone, long time since I've posted here on QQ, feels good to post again :)

I hope the spacing between the RCA connections is sufficient to accomodate my Transparent Audio cables.

The RCA separation is the standard 14mm centre to centre (that's determined by the components we use) vertically and 22.5mm centre to centre horizontally.

1539899515580.png

Very interesting housing!, like the main board floats while trapped laterally within channel slots which are extruded lengthwise into the aluminum side rails, instead of raised up upon and screwed down to four threaded stand-off posts.
I also like how sturdy & rigid plate aluminum front and rear panels can both be screwed directly into the extruded semi-circular open side plate cavities with self-tapping countersunk flathead SHCSs, an extremely robust design indeed!

Some other modern BPC housings have rear Input/output sockets that are fragile against push-on RCA wire plugs that have absurdly tight outer ground ring clamping fingers, this design looks like that eventuality has been considered and accounted for.

!

Thanks @M-D-Z (y) we have tried to make the design strong, time will tell if it can stand up to the super tight ground rings :unsure:
We're currently debating how we do the fixing of the front plate to the case, we'll make a post after this with some comparisons we've rendered, your feedback would be most appreciated! :)

It also appears strictly sized and shaped as a table top unit.

Was there ever any thought of attaching rack mounting ears?

I have been keeping an eye on this project and will be watching for the pre-order list to be started.

!

We have thought of that, we decided with this one to keep it to a tabletop unit like the previous Surround Master.
We are working on rack mounted units, our Studio Encoder/Decoder will be 1U and the Super Surround Preamp with be 2U.

We've got a dilemma, in the office we can't agree on the best look for the front of the new Surround Master :eek:
We've put together some comparison renders and would love your feedback on them.

Our comparisons are:
A) Countersunk Screws, black finish, flush with the front panel
B) Socket Screws, stainless steel finish, seated into the front panel and poking out 1mm
C) Clean, no screws on the front, but to hold in place we'd put screws on the side, it should still be quite strong.

Your thoughts QQ? :unsure:

SM2-Screw Comparison_1.jpg
SM2-Screw Comparison_2.jpg
SM2-Screw Comparison_3.jpg
SM2-Screw Comparison_4.jpg

Attachments

• SM2-Screw Comparison_1.jpg
    SM2-Screw Comparison_1.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 82
Hello everyone, long time since I've posted here on QQ, feels good to post again :)

The RCA separation is the standard 14mm centre to centre (that's determined by the components we use) vertically and 22.5mm centre to centre horizontally.

View attachment 36088
Thanks Chris.

What is it vertically and horizontally on the original Surround Master? The tightening collars on my Transparent Audio Super and Ultra interconnects are too big to fit properly in pairs.

The original Surround Master is a single row with 14mm horizontal separation between pairs.

Thanks, vertical was dumb question. Horizontal spacing problem with quality connectors will persist then.

Will the spacing be any greater on the preamp project?

Back