New Surround Master coming! Its a jump to the left and a step to the right

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regarding hdmi, most new TVs/monitors will pass through analog stereo, I think.

Last edited:
Regarding hdmi, most new TVs/monitors will pass through analog stereo, I think.

Not the ones I looked at recently. No red/white rca jacks anywhere to be found. Only optical output for audio on my new 65" RCA, as I had to use the optical cable to feed my receiver. Sorry to derail the thread as this is irrelevant since the SM doesn't have hdmi anyway.

Not the ones I looked at recently. No red/white rca jacks anywhere to be found. Only optical output for audio on my new 65" RCA, as I had to use the optical cable to feed my receiver. Sorry to derail the thread as this is irrelevant since the SM doesn't have hdmi anyway.

I have no RCA Audio out on my Sony 55" but I do have a Stereo EAR phone connection out, I use that to connect to my SM and it sound great in Surround....
BBQ...

I'm one of the rare QQ type who's a simple folk so I hope my question won't seem too silly.

What are the main differences between V1 and V2? What I really want to know is if I own V1, do I need to get V2 or can I lead a full and Quad happy life without it?

Hi. Simon A

I think if you have a v1. SM the only difference would be in the new metal box and a new lay out in the electronics and the new flexible level control and a new switching control of the Surround modes but I would say in what it does with source Quad file would be the same..
BBQ...….

Chucky - I'm sure I speak for lots of us on QQ in thanking you personally for your commitment to getting this over the line (and of course to Dave and the rest of the team for their efforts). It's been a long (and interesting) journey for us all (particularly those of us who go back to the initial v1 days) but I'm so pleased we're nearly at the end of the road and really looking forward to getting my hands on the lovely new thing!!
When will it be possible to order and what proof of ownership will you require for the SMv1 owners discount (serial number perhaps)?
Incidentally, can you confirm that the SQ code that will be imbedded will the Vinyl Optimised variant (I think you said at one time that was the intention)?

Sorry about the slow reply but our marketing guru's are working the proceedure out. I expect an announcement in a few days......patience

Yep the thing is Vinyl optimized as standard....special requests otherwise can be made by direct email.

I friggin hate HDMI, its a crap format "standardised by the big guys who's primary purpose is to keep the little guys out of the game (with the $20,000 pa license fees before you can buy the chips), then they change the standard every year or so forcing you to completely redesign the electronics, then you find out its full of bugs and not backwardly compatible.

A terrible pox be upon it!

As for me I am an RCA kind of guy. Take a look at the rear panel of our Y4 surround amp one day and you will see how we reduce connectors to bugger all. OK yes we included HDMI.....still hate it.

Regards

Luddite Chucky

I think if you have a v1. SM the only difference would be in the new metal box and a new lay out in the electronics and the new flexible level control and a new switching control of the Surround modes but I would say in what it does with source Quad file would be the same..
The new flexible level control is more than that: it allows you to optimize the quantization for the output level of the particular cartridge/phono preamp.

I friggin hate HDMI, its a crap format "standardised by the big guys who's primary purpose is to keep the little guys out of the game (with the $20,000 pa license fees before you can buy the chips), then they change the standard every year or so forcing you to completely redesign the electronics, then you find out its full of bugs and not backwardly compatible.

A terrible pox be upon it!

As for me I am an RCA kind of guy. Take a look at the rear panel of our Y4 surround amp one day and you will see how we reduce connectors to bugger all. OK yes we included HDMI.....still hate it.

Regards

Luddite Chucky

Luddite? Nonsense! HDMI would be great if it was jitter-free but it is not. Note that the Oppo 205 has a separate ultra-low-jitter-free HDMI audio-only output port to combat this issue:

http://www.oppodigital.co.uk/Understanding-the-HDMI-Audio-Jitter-Reduction-Circuit-OPPO-UDP-205.html
So while HDMI is convenient, they could be doing a bit more to indulge the audiophile end of the bargain. Gotta hand it to them though...the big guys screwed up digital for a bunch of years...so much so to ensure that vinyl remains alive and well. Enough said before I too go into some sort of Steven A. Smith rant.

Chucky/Overture: I have a question regarding how I would actually hook this up this Surround Master in my particular system. My processor accepts two sets of 5.1 inputs as well as stereo. I have an Oppo with 5.1 outputs and stereo outputs. Therefore I can use one set of 5.1 inputs on the processor for the direct 5.1 outputs from the Oppo. I can also use the second set of 5.1 inputs for the outputs from the Surround Master.

But it looks like I would need a splitter for the stereo signal if I also wish to continue utilizing DSP in the processor, specifically Logic7 and PLIIx, in lieu of the Surround Master. See my diagram below. Does this arrangement seem feasible, or am I making it too complicated?

Back