New Surround Master coming! Its a jump to the left and a step to the right

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question.....I currently do not use my Analog pre-outs on my Denon. Would the SM2 connect directly into those? Is that the idea? Sorry for the NOOB question......I haven't been reading all the posts.
Gene, Have a look at these PDF diagrams for my system. A picture is worth a thousand words. It will depend what era your receiver is from of course.

Attachments

• Signals to Surround Decoders.pdf
    534.4 KB · Views: 138
  • Signal From Surround Decoders.pdf
    374.7 KB · Views: 147
  • Source Inputs.pdf
    379.4 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
I'd like to do that..... if only I knew what a NUC was (yes, I googled it, but I'm not much wiser)!
NUC= New Unit of Computing! The marketing types came up with that one. Basically its a small computer (about the same size as the SM2) with the same 'power' as your desktop/laptop, a lot of the Intel based NUCs are aimed at the home entertainment market. The new ones based on 8th Generation i3/i5/i7 will do 7.1 audio and 4k video, without a fan. So my aim is to combine it with a studio grade multi-channel 24-bit/96kHz ADC (most have DAC o/ps as well) - not sure which make to go for yet. The whole lot will sit in my Hi-Fi rack. All I need now is the will to spend the money!

Last edited:
Chucky/Overture: I have a question regarding how I would actually hook this up this Surround Master in my particular system. My processor accepts two sets of 5.1 inputs as well as stereo. I have an Oppo with 5.1 outputs and stereo outputs. Therefore I can use one set of 5.1 inputs on the processor for the direct 5.1 outputs from the Oppo. I can also use the second set of 5.1 inputs for the outputs from the Surround Master.

But it looks like I would need a splitter for the stereo signal if I also wish to continue utilizing DSP in the processor, specifically Logic7 and PLIIx, in lieu of the Surround Master. See my diagram below. Does this arrangement seem feasible, or am I making it too complicated?
View attachment 38485
This brings back memories of my old Sony STR-DA4es which had both a 5.1 and a 7.1 analog input. I had a similar setup but with different components and it worked great. Been thinking of getting it out of storage and let the Outlaw 975 and it's 4Kaux switch handle the HDMI duties. Now days it seems like you have to get pretty high in the line up to get analog inputs and they still don't allow the use of a receiver's processing power.

Right now I am using a DTS-610 to take the analog from my Quad tape and decoders to send a DTS bit-stream to my current receiver. This got me thinking, since most even the cheapest receivers have a SPDF optical and coax inputs the Surround Master mite benefit it it had a built-in DTS encorder and Optical and coax outputs. This would make it more compatible with a lot more rigs.

Nup, its correct we use the Texas TAS3204 DSP, it was the only one that could handle it all at the time.

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tas3204.pdf
I could rave on about Nyquist sampling theorm
I take it that you're doing 48-bit arithmetic to 'stop' truncation errors in the DSP code. Out of curiosity (killed the cat, or may be not if it was Schrodinger's!) how many bits are the ADC & DAC?

I take it that you're doing 48-bit arithmetic to 'stop' truncation errors in the DSP code. Out of curiosity (killed the cat, or may be not if it was Schrodinger's!) how many bits are the ADC & DAC?

The ADCs are sigma-delta modulators with 256 times over-sampling ratio

Each DAC up samples the incoming data by 128 and performs interpolation filtering and processing on this data before conversion to a stereo analog output signal. The sigma-delta modulator always operates at a rate of 128xxFs, which ensures that quantization noise generated within the modulator stays low within the frequency band below Fs/2.4 at all sample rates.

To ensure calculation accuracy all maths is performed wit a 76 bit accumulator!

This may have been covered earlier but I didn't see it. For those of us who use an old school peamp/poweramps/decoder setup, can the Surround Master be used between preamp and power amps?
I currently use a Lafayette SQ-W which has a switch to reduce the signal level feeding the inputs of the decoder. Since the rated peak input of the SM is 2.5v, would I need to use a level reducer pad?

Each DAC up samples the incoming data by 128 and performs interpolation filtering and processing on this data before conversion to a stereo analog output signal. The sigma-delta modulator always operates at a rate of 128xxFs, which ensures that quantization noise generated within the modulator stays low within the frequency band below Fs/2.4 at all sample rates.

I can think of some nice 24-bit Texas/Burr-Brown devices that fit the bill!

hi Chucky, there was a comment made on Facebook a couple of years ago (in response to one of me waxing lyrical about my epiphanic experience running old SQ and QS LPs through the SM) regarding it using 12-bit convertors and i was wondering 1.) where they might have got that info from and 2.) how accurate that info might be?
please find quote below (original poster's identity not disclosed).

"I was quite interested in Surround Master when it came out, especially after hearing people's feedback on separation. But I cooled down when I found out about 12 bit converters... I consider myself an Audiophile first and SurroundHead second. Good separation and surround is for me only good, if the sound is still of audiophile quality when it exits the decoder. I have Tate II, Space & Image composer and Lafayette decoders, which are pure analogue, and give Audiophile sound quality with decent decoding... I am tempted to go for digital decoding, but that 12 bit ADA ... can anyone that considers himself an Audiophile (and have audiophile grade turntable, amp, speakers...) compare above decoders - not for surround separation, but sound quality?"

Is there a FAQ somewhere? I have basic questions that I'm sure have been answered but have yet to find. A weak area of my legacy system is SQ decoding. I assume this allows me to plug my turntable in to it, select SQ 4.0 and then plug the 4 main outs to my Sansui QRX (or all six to my modern receiver for 5.1). Does it need a phono preamp?

A more basic question. What is that the main purpose? Seems like more than just SQ decoding. And does it do a better job at QS decoding than the Sansui QRX?

Just steer me to the right post, as I must be missing something obvious.

Does it need a phono preamp?

Yes, it requires a preamp. I'd recommend using a new model rather than a vintage one as SQ decoding is so phase-dependent. When I first got mine I used the ancient preamp in my Lafayette LR-4000 receiver and wondered why there was no separation. Then I picked up a Project Phono-Box and it improved dramatically.

A more basic question. What is that the main purpose? Seems like more than just SQ decoding. And does it do a better job at QS decoding than the Sansui QRX?

The original model had two modes: SQ and "Involve", which is a proprietary surround synthesizer that decodes QS accurately and extremely well. The QS performance is better than my Sansui QSD-2 single-band variomatrix decoder. I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) the QS decoder in the QRX receivers is the same as the QSD-2.

Back