Nick Cave - remastered, expanded and 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 1679

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Wow...not one I ever would have expected!

http://angryape.com/news/2008/07/09/nick-cave-remastered-reissues-coming

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds have teamed up with the Mute label to reissue their entire back catalogue as digitally remastered expanded packages - remixed in 5.1 Surround Sound.
The first four albums - 'From Her To Eternity', 'The First Born Is Dead', 'Kicking Against The Pricks and Your Funeral', 'My Trial' - are already being worked on and will be released before the end of 2008.
Each reissue will be a two-disc set, containing both the remastered stereo mix and new surround sound mix, as well as a specially commissioned short film created by UK artists Iain Forsyth and Jane Pollard.
The b-sides for the related singles will also be included, as are exclusive sleeve notes.

Pretty cool announcement; there seems to be a steady trickle of these after the surround party is supposedly over.....!

:eek: Wow, I am shocked!

And pleased. :banana: Alot of this material begs for a surround treatment.

I hope it's hi-rez.

I've never heard of Nick Cave, but anything new in 5.1 is obviously good! So what am I to expect here----punk/goth rock or cowboy movie theme music?

I've never heard of Nick Cave, but anything new in 5.1 is obviously good! So what am I to expect here----punk/goth rock or cowboy movie theme music?

He comes from my hometown ..Melbourne.. Australia,,
originally lead singer with the punk band ..The birthday party...whose biggest hit was "Nick the stripper"

he's a slighter darker version of Jim Morrison...

have a listen to the lp "Murder Ballads"......which amazingly has a duet with Kylie Minogue on it..."Where The Wild Roses Grow" .. which sounds like a great love ballad until you realise it is describing a murder from (most likely) an insane serial killer.

as well as great duet with PJ Harvey..."Henry Lee"

songs like "Stagger Lee" will never be the same again,once you've heard his pulp fiction/Tarrantino version of it..
come to think of it, that might be right the song to start with..
with lyrics like this...
"So he walked through the rain and he walked through the mud ,
till he come to a house called the Bucket of Blood.......Stagger Lee"
...and that's the calm part of the song..

actually a punk/goth Jim Morrison might be a good description..
his songs are found easily on youtube..and the music itself would sound amazing in surround..

Last edited:

You've probably heard him in TV shows and movies. First time I heard him was on The X-Files where they played Red Right Hand and I thought it was very cool. I bought his latest, Dig Lazarus Dig! and it's a very good album.

At least there is one music label still seeing value in 5.1 remasters. Cave is on Mute UK which also remastered all the Depeche Mode's, Goldfrapp-Supernature, and recently Yaz in 5.1
DM's, Goldfrapp were also SACD releases in the UK...
Exciting stuff!
/\/\

Latest word is that the first four are now set for a release in March 2009.

Yeah, it will probably only be lossy DTS/DD. Highly unlikely we will see any high fidelity on these with lossless MLP.

These releases seems to be far from high resolution. It certainly smells that way; I think I smell a rat. The majors are raising their flag for low resolution and crappy sound. The dvd will include iPod versions of all the tracks :mad:@: Thery're insane!

Looks like Mute records are (like the majors) infested with mongoloids. No wonder people have stopped buying records. To compete with those crappy sounding downloads (MP3s) they should release superior sounding records. Not a dvd with MP3s :mad:@:

Yeah, it will probably only be lossy DTS/DD. Highly unlikely we will see any high fidelity on these with lossless MLP.

These releases seems to be far from high resolution. It certainly smells that way; I think I smell a rat. The majors are raising their flag for low resolution and crappy sound. The dvd will include iPod versions of all the tracks :mad:@: Thery're insane!

Looks like Mute records are (like the majors) infested with mongoloids. No wonder people have stopped buying records. To compete with those crappy sounding downloads (MP3s) they should release superior sounding records. Not a dvd with MP3s :mad:@:

I completely agree. It is quite extraordinary that the major labels do not appear to see that any hope of selling any quantity of "expanded" catalogue releases needs more than b-sides and extras the actual target audience already has. You would think Hi-Rez surround would be the potential selling feature...what an industry.....................:(

I see that the first 4 are listed with prices on Amazon.ca and Amazon.com now.
There aren't any details but at least can be preordered now.
I am more familar with Nich Cave's recent music. For those that know these early albums are all 4 must buys or what would one recommend if only pick up one or 2 of the titles.

I am more familar with Nich Cave's recent music. For those that know these early albums are all 4 must buys or what would one recommend if only pick up one or 2 of the titles.

hi,
I don't know if you are aware but Cave was a member of a hardcore punk band called The Birthday Party and his early solo records are certainly more punk than his later work. He battled heroin addiction and it is quite extraordinary that he is still breathing and this early stuff comes from that period...
If I were going to recommend one (they are all very worthwhile) maybe try Kicking Against The Pricks.
/\/\

Well, I might say that Your Funeral My Trial is your best starting point as it is probably the closest in sound to some of his later work. Kicking Against the Pricks is all cover versions and is pretty well done - that would be my second choice.

I don't know that I would call his first two solo albums "punk" though. To me they are closer to "mississippi blues" but with a bit more of a rougher edge to them - "delta-blues-punk" I'd call it!

I guess I'm saying you should work backwards.

Back