Notable MCH engineers listing

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This list is a brilliant thing indeed... (y) I've only just realised you can tag the information into your album details. So in JRiver I can just search Elliot Scheiner and all of his albums come up. Same with SW etc etc. It's good fun! :cool:

I suppose you can add...

Elliot Scheiner
Guns N' Roses - Appetite For Destruction

Bob Clearmountain
The Band - Music From Big Pink

Whoop!

Last edited:
Add a whole bunch of Springsteen to the Bob Clearmountain list:

Hammersmith Odeon London 1975 (DVD-V / part of the Born to Run 30th anniversary box set)
Live in New York City (DVD-V & SACD)
*MTV Plugged (DVD-V)
*We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions (Bonus DVD in American Land edition has videos for eight songs in 5.1)
The Promise: The Darkness on the Edge of Town Story (Live 2009 performance of Darkness album and various other tracks) (DVD-V)
The River Tour, Tempe 1980 Concert (DVD-V & BR-V / part of The Ties That Bind: The River Collection box set)
London Calling Live in Hyde Park (DVD-V)
**Live in Dublin (DVD-V)

All credited as Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band except *Bruce Springsteen and **Bruce Springsteen with the Sessions Band.

While going through these I found that the mix on the American Land edition of We Shall Overcome is a good bit more discrete than most of the Springsteen mixes. In particular, the fiddle parts are firmly planted in the right rear.

Some other Springsteen 5.1 mixes:

VH1 Storytellers (DVD-V, mixed by Toby Scott)
Devils & Dust (dual disc - mixed by Nick Didia)
Live in Barcelona (with The E Street Band) (DVD-V - mixed by Matt Foglia)

Last edited:
I think we should add to the list (well, they should go directly to our shrine of quad god's) Stan Tonkel and Ray Moore, because of Bitches Brew's mix.
I need to check the rest of Miles' surround mixes to check who made them, though

I think we should add to the list (well, they should go directly to our shrine of quad god's) Stan Tonkel and Ray Moore, because of Bitches Brew's mix.
I need to check the rest of Miles' surround mixes to check who made them, though

good call, though Ray Moore's listed under QQ's Unsung Quad Heroes list, with no less than 40 Quad mixes to his name on the list to date (including Bitches Brew) he's one of the more prolific Quad remix engineers!

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...quads-unsung-heroes.21231/page-18#post-345125

re: other Miles Davis surround mixes..

the 2 x Sony 5.1 mixes were by Mark Wilder. "Kind Of Blue" being a kinda room ambience type mix where afaik they captured the sound of the Stereo (3-track tapes?) played back in the studio and put the resulting sounds in the Rears, whereas "In A Silent Way" is more active surround, presumably remixed from multitracks (turned out v.good imho however they did it!).

the "Live Evil" Quad was by Ray Moore again.

the "Sketches Of Spain" surround mix/upmix (or whatever it was!?) was by Monster's "Head Monster" Noel Lee.

the 2 x Sony 5.1 mixes were by Mark Wilder. "Kind Of Blue" being a kinda room ambience type mix where afaik they captured the sound of the Stereo (3-track tapes?) played back in the studio and put the resulting sounds in the Rears, whereas "In A Silent Way" is more active surround, presumably remixed from multitracks (turned out v.good imho however they did it!).

the "Sketches Of Spain" surround mix/upmix (or whatever it was!?) was by Monster's "Head Monster" Noel Lee.
What about "Seven Steps To Heaven" which was a Sony/Analogue Productions Stereo/Multi SACD release in 2010, I think/remember its like "Kind Of Blue" a 3-track recording with ambience/leaking into the rear channels, I'll have to give it a listen to tomorrow

You beat me to it, Adam. Kind of Blue was one of the first DVD-A I listened to. Sketches of Spain is on my hunt list since years ago, the bitch is quite expensive! I did not know about Live Evil, how is the mix?

What about "Seven Steps To Heaven" which was a Sony/Analogue Productions Stereo/Multi SACD release in 2010, I think/remember its like "Kind Of Blue" a 3-track recording with ambience/leaking into the rear channels, I'll have to give it a listen to tomorrow

blimey, first i heard of it being in Surround! are you sure its not just 3-Ch MultiCh like the Nat King Cole's, Mercury Living Presence, etc.?
Thanks for the link, but I'm looking for the SACD. One of these days I'll get it, no doubt about it!

which one, Mofi or Sony? fwiw they're both 2-ch. i have one of the numerous different territory releases of the Sony SACD somewhere (single layer job), don't recall it being anything exceptional. the Monster DVD is very effective surround.. whatever the Monsters did to arrive at that, its cool..!

blimey, first i heard of it being in Surround! are you sure its not just 3-Ch MultiCh like the Nat King Cole's, Mercury Living Presence, etc.?

which one, Mofi or Sony? fwiw they're both 2-ch. i have one of the numerous different territory releases of the Sony SACD somewhere (single layer job), don't recall it being anything exceptional. the Monster DVD is very effective surround.. whatever the Monsters did to arrive at that, its cool..!

Seven Steps to Heaven and Someday My Prince Will Come as remastered in SACD by Analogue Productions were both THREE CHANNEL. Both are superb!

https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=6618#tracks

https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=6617#reviews

Right you are, sir. The one I have in my Discogs want list is the Monster's. According to the site, it's DVD-V

Right you are, sir. The one I have in my Discogs want list is the Monster's. According to the site, it's DVD-V

its a.. monster! :p
(seriously, i was shocked at how surround-y they got the music from, what, 3-ch tapes!? would've been interesting if Monster had done things like Kind Of Blue & Time Out in MultiCh in surround with similar technique.. ah well, i must be thankful for what we have/and what we do get rather than whining about what we don't! :giggle:

Seven Steps to Heaven and Someday My Prince Will Come as remastered in SACD by Analogue Productions were both THREE CHANNEL. Both are superb!

https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=6618#tracks

https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=6617#reviews
Listened again today to Seven Steps To Heaven (3.0 SACD) and it is incredible considering the recording was made in 1963, the recording engineers really knew how to get the best out those old 3 track machines.

Wow, this is astounding! Is there a sticky of the complete list or something? A search feature similar to the Surround Polls where the artist shows the mixing engineer or vice versa would be amazing! Would it be an addition to the Surround Polls, or a separate entity unto itself?
I would love to be able to type 'Clearmountain' or 'Penny' and see a list of mixes by said mixers. :love:

Jimmy Douglass did the 5.1 mix for Missy Elliot's 2001 Miss E... So Addictive DVD-A.

I think he's one of maybe a half-dozen (at most) engineers that have both quad and 5.1 remix credits - in Douglass's case he did the quad mix for the Brecker Bros.' Back to Back album.

Back