Obscure: For those with 78s

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read from page 9. It seems they have already built in the changes to offset for speed. Personally I feel it is better to do it before and not have to compensate for speed/pitch changes. That may be because I am used to it.

I'm absolutely the same way. I figure out a routine that seems to work at the time and it eventually becomes The Right Way To Do It in my head.

As to noise reduction, if you do it as the 45 speed, you are possibly over correcting, but I can not be sure. I prefer to hear exactly what I am taking out at the correct pitch.

I agree. There's also the matter of time involved. I've recently gotten it into my head that ClickRepair works best if done in two passes, one with DeClick and one with DeCrackle (at which point I also have it merge to mono). Well, if you're doing that with records played too slow, you have to sit through the initial capture, sit through the first NR pass, then through the second NR pass. Can you say "tedious"? I've done it the allegedly "right" way where I used ClickRepair on the slow file and I've done it after speeding it up and I can't really tell the difference. But of course, we're talking about recordings that are, in at least some cases, well over 100 years old. There's only so much to work with in the first place!

As to A/Bing the two files, if the difference is minor, I am the same way. If the result is something excessive like boomy, muddy bass plus extended rumble or a drastic harshness to treble and voices or excessive needle scratch, it can be obvious.

Total agreement. And it can be frustrating with some of the older records that require either very little rolloff or none at all. In those cases, the correct EQ winds up leaving you with a lot more surface noise, but of course adding rolloff muddies the HF. Mr. Davies also sells another bit of software to deal with that type of noise as well, but I've never tried it. Attempts with similar things in the past disappointed me, but I really should at least check out the free trial some day.

All that aside, if you're curious at all about Equalizer, just remember that it's *free* so you can test drive it for nothing.

Turntable manufacturers don't really have a choice on using 78.26 as it is tied to the frequency of the power lines at 60 cycles.

I know that was an issue in the days of synchronous motors, but is it still true once you get into quartz locking? Is the vibrating crystal (or however it works) still at the mercy of line frequency? That would seem to at least somewhat negate the point.

I assume that you played yours with the cart wired for vertical playback?

The deck has a switch. I find that I get sound out of vertical Edisons on either setting (though obviously the sound changes depending on the position of the switch) but it's absolutely freaky to play a standard lateral record on the vertical setting. You get very normal sounding 78 record noise, but the music simply disappears. Of course, you can also do the "wiring" in software (in fact, it's built in to Equalizer) but I've never experimented with it. I have a few Edisons and that one Pathe, so it hasn't been a priority. I suspect I need a much larger stylus for the Edisons. I've digitized them, but they don't sound that great.

I appreciate all the wisdom you're dropping here, @Circular Vibes . At the risk of hijacking this thread, I'm including a couple of photos, since neither the arm on my Bogen nor my ELAC quite fits your description. (The ELAC has a black curved headshell, but a straight chromed tonearm, with a black sleeve that slides along the rear of the arm for adjusting tracking weight. No antiskate.)

View attachment 44033 View attachment 44034
The arm on your Lenco is an in between model and is still fine for a Grado. No antiskating is all. I forgot about that model. Just beware of changing the shell too often as the threads may wear faster than other arms.

The deck has a switch. I find that I get sound out of vertical Edisons on either setting (though obviously the sound changes depending on the position of the switch) but it's absolutely freaky to play a standard lateral record on the vertical setting. You get very normal sounding 78 record noise, but the music simply disappears.

useful for noise reduction?

The Lenco arm was damaged or missing parts (I forget which). I put my Aristron arm from my Ariston turntable on it, using my Decca Arm on the Aristron. The last time I used the Lenco it was working fine but haven't tried any 78's yet.

In addition to my ELAC, I recently picked up a cast-off Bogen (essentially a Lenco L70 under a different name). The consensus seems to be that turntables like these with "high-mass" tonearms want heavier-tracking cartridges like Stantons, Shures, and Pickerings. Generally speaking that would rule out Grado--although I don't know if that rule of thumb also applies to the Grado 78 or only the stereo cartridges.
I pulled out the Lenco the other day and put on a couple of LP's to check out it's operation, and it was working great with the Pickering V-15 cartridge. That table was missing the dust cover but I purchased a NOS Connoisseur BD2 dust cover and it fits perfectly around the metal deck just doesn't cover the entire plinth. The Grado 78C that I ordered came today so I pulled out my 78 preamp. It's modeled after the McIntosh C8 but missing the extra inputs base and treble and Aural compensation. I guess that I didn't complete the power supply but was able to rig it up for testing. The fist record That I pulled out "Bing Crosby" was broken, as heavy as those things are they sure are fragile! I tried out a few records and played with the equalization a bit. Although the 78 background noise is audible it's much lower than I remember. I'm using the Pickering with the 78 stylus attached, checked tracking force and it was set to 3.5 grams. I don't think that I really needed the Grado but will try it out latter. The Ariston tonearm I'm using doesn't have a detachable headshell, so it's bit of a pain to remount.

(I hope it's okay that I post this here.)

To anyone who is a 78 collector, I have my Mom & Dad's South Pacific album from Al Goodman & his Orchestra (plus some old cardboard Hit of the Week records that were my grandparents) that I cannot play. Based on Discogs, the value of all of this stuff is probably a couple of bucks. I can't play them, but I would love it if there is someone with a collection who can. I'd be willing to part with them for the cost of shipping alone. :)

I'm not looking for someone who really just wants to turn this around and sell it at some yard sale, (not that you'd get much) but someone who is more of a collector. If these were a dog, I'd say I'm looking for a good home for him. :LOL:

Thanks

Attachments

• CARDBOARD1.jpg
    CARDBOARD1.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 121
  • CARDBOARD2.jpg
    CARDBOARD2.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 114
  • cARDBOARD3.jpg
    cARDBOARD3.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 123
  • sp1.jpg
    sp1.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 114
  • sp2.jpg
    sp2.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 110
  • sp3.jpg
    sp3.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 113
  • sp4.jpg
    sp4.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 110
I'm not really a 78 collector, I just have my mothers old collection, important to me for that very reason.
The problem with 78's is that they are so fragile, I doubt that you could ship them without breakage. Best if someone local could take them off your hands. Like you I like to give things away to people who will use them and appreciate them, not those who just want to turn them over a profit!

I have all my late father's 78s, when my parents down-sized their house my mother wanted them thrown away so he said would I look after them - so a reversal of roles as I used to leave stuff at their house! I was looking to get a deck which played them so I could put them on CD for my father, when sadly he died. Some interesting music from Fats Waller through to classical. I can't get rid of them, so 11 years on and they are still sitting there un-played.

When I started to buy records I had a Bill Hally
and the Comets and Gene Vincent 78
My first 78 Was Dog Face Soldier/Film To Hell and Back
Soon after 45s came out and I through them out
I used to be in a Band and we used to get 45s from a disc jockey
so we could learn them and play at the dance,s the night that he would first play them on the radio the crowd would think we were
Shit hot I had a large pile of 45s and in those days we did not take care of them and when I got hitched and played them on a stereo I had they were so bad I dumped them

They are shipped all the time, Utube demos to do safely. Just immobilize between 2 cardboard sheets and then ship in a larger box, with peanuts. I have a collection of 50's rock and Bop on 78's, no real interest in Musicals though.

Back