OFFICIAL Vehicles with Factory Surround Systems

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I drove a 2017 Acura RDX as a loaner while they changed the recalled driver side airbag in my 2015 RDX. The 2017 no longer plays DVD-A however it does play DTS cds. It also has changed from Dolby Pro Logic II to DTS Neural. It now also has HD Radio for FM and Sirius XM. Still sounds great to me.

New Porsche Cayenne features Burmester Speakers with Auro Surround Sound with "Height Dimensions". No word on Playback options, but given that it still is the Volkswagen AG behind it all, I'd go on a limp and say it's only DTS and Dolby DVD-V's, as does most of their full fledged optional Entertainment Systems.

Only the Speakers will set you back a cool 6.000€.

As many of you know, the Hyundai Genesis has first-class DVD-Audio support from 2009-2011. (I drive a 2011).
I test-drove a 2012 and I'm not sure whether they improved the DVD-Audio support or hurt it... but I digress.
The 2015-2016 Genesis, as far as I know, dropped DVD-Audio support and replaced it with nothing.

Enter the 2017 Genesis G80. Hyundai has spun off its own luxury brand named after the Genesis sedan. The G80 is the replacement for the Hyundai Genesis; the G90 will be the replacement for the Equus.

Anyway -- talk about burying the lede -- the new G80 (V6 Ultimate or V8) supports DVD-Audio.

Let me say that again.

THE NEW 2017 GENESIS G80 SUPPORTS DVD-AUDIO!!!

THE NEW 2017 GENESIS G80 SUPPORTS DVD-AUDIO!!!

All, yes, can confirm this.

In my search for a replacement vehicle to my ELS equipped 2014 Acura I have been bringing a couple of multi-channel DVD-A/DVD-V/DTS-CD discs along for test drives.

The Genesis G80 Ultimate with the 17-speaker Lexicon 7.1 system I test drove was able to read and play all my discs just fine. It was also nice to see the menus and graphics during playback, as the Acura ELS has a very simple player implementation that only displays track numbers within a group.

I will probably go back for a longer test drive, this car had just come in to the local Hyundai dealer and was still covered in plastic/etc in areas that may have hindered acoustics.

I just did a 'surround music' test drive in a new Range Rover Evoque equiped with a 'Meridian Surround Sound system 825' (16 speakers).

It plays 5.1 and Quad FLAC at various sample rates/bit depths from a USB stick and DTS from DVDV discs. Since I have all my surround already converted to FLAC this would be awesome since my current Audio A5 only plays surround from DTS DVDVs only (or stereo flac) and it's such a pain to convert stuff to DTS and burn, then manage all the discs in my car...

They Meridian user interface is very nice, shows the album art when flac files are tagged, has a touch screen etc.

Going back soon to test more, but so far passed they three critical tests: Looks nice, wife can see over side mirrors (she's rather small) and it plays surround. Could be my next vehicle.

I just did a 'surround music' test drive in a new Range Rover Evoque equiped with a 'Meridian Surround Sound system 825' (16 speakers).

It plays 5.1 and Quad FLAC at various sample rates/bit depths from a USB stick and DTS from DVDV discs. Since I have all my surround already converted to FLAC this would be awesome since my current Audio A5 only plays surround from DTS DVDVs only (or stereo flac) and it's such a pain to convert stuff to DTS and burn, then manage all the discs in my car...

They Meridian user interface is very nice, shows the album art when flac files are tagged, has a touch screen etc.

Going back soon to test more, but so far passed they three critical tests: Looks nice, wife can see over side mirrors (she's rather small) and it plays surround. Could be my next vehicle.

I've heard that system and it's excellent....and I like the appearance of the vehicle(y)..over the years my favorite auto application has been with B&W speakers...I've not heard this new version personally... but from second hand sources the B&W set up in the Volvo XC-90 is superb...not sure what type of media it will accept though...check it out

If you end up with a hankering for a new Audi, the B&O system in the new A4/S4/A5/S5/Q5/SQ5 lines will play multichannel FLAC (max sample rate 48kHz, bit depth 24).

these are surely revelations assuming the audio processors are not auto downmixing to stereo. is this a sign that we have turned a corner and our kind is coming back out of the closet? Hmm, or is this just a fluke? A third possibility though is that my surroundaholic sick mind is looking too deeply for signs of life after death?

these are surely revelations assuming the audio processors are not auto downmixing to stereo. is this a sign that we have turned a corner and our kind is coming back out of the closet? Hmm, or is this just a fluke? A third possibility though is that my surroundaholic sick mind is looking too deeply for signs of life after death?

The same Meridian Surround System 825 is also an option for all new Land Rovers and Jaguars. I used my Channel Test flacs to confirm it played correctly all the usual formats/sample rates with correct channel mapping.

I suspect we'll see more of this. Much more user friendly than creating DVDV or DVDA discs. I can get heaps of MCH lossless albums on a USB stick (128GB) or on a portable USB drive (if they work, didn't try). The Range Rover Evoque has two USB ports so I could use to sticks!

If you end up with a hankering for a new Audi, the B&O system in the new A4/S4/A5/S5/Q5/SQ5 lines will play multichannel FLAC (max sample rate 48kHz, bit depth 24).

I'd prefer not to have to downsample any of my existing FLACs. The Meridian will do 96/24.

The same Meridian Surround System 825 is also an option for all new Land Rovers and Jaguars. I used my Channel Test flacs to confirm it played correctly all the usual formats/sample rates with correct channel mapping.

I suspect we'll see more of this. Much more user friendly than creating DVDV or DVDA discs. I can get heaps of MCH lossless albums on a USB stick (128GB) or on a portable USB drive (if they work, didn't try). The Range Rover Evoque has two USB ports so I could use to sticks!

Nice!

I'd prefer not to have to downsample any of my existing FLACs. The Meridian will do 96/24.

My old ears can’t really tell the difference between the sampling rates.

I process the audio anyway to apply replaygain settings and an EQ curve so the in-car settings don’t need huge adjustments between FM and the SD cards/USB sticks/SSD.

How do the speakers sound with actual music?...bass response?

Third kid arrives in May, shopping for a Minivan (wife's foot has been firmly planted...must have sliding rear doors, powered) and looking at 2015 and 2016 Chrysler Town & Country as I like the roof screens folding down vs. the fold-up behind the front seat options. Surprised to see "DVD-Audio" in the listing and figured someone messed it up, same person who did the graphics for some of the Mike Oldfield recent releases perhaps, turns out the owner's manual is quite transparent and says it will play DVD-Audio discs but will convert multichannel content to stereo (and will default to the DVD-Audio program of the disc if it has one)

So, does anyone know if any minivans actually play in 5.1? My research suggests the answer is no. Honda's manual can't even spell Blu-ray correctly (Blue-ray) and they put a "TM" after it, lol. Toyota has a nice 10-speaker JBL system but appears to be stereo only and I think from Blu-ray it only reads dts and Dolby. Chrysler Pacifica Blu-ray also seems to be stereo-only.

Waaaahhhh....

I've been looking on-line at cars which do 5.1, its an important criteria!
Audi: The only ones I could find where it specifically says are the RS6 & RS7 (out of my price range!).
Jaguar: Offer a Meridian Surround System option in the XE & XF ranges I've explored.
Mercedes: The C-Class SE has a Premium Plus option which has Burmester Surround so to get it adds an extra £5000!, and the E-Class SE the same option with the surround adds just under £3900!

Had my truck go in the body shop. Rented a 2018 Nissan Altima . I noticed on the front dash 3 speakers, R-L and like the old days one smack in the middle. What a perfect set up for 5.1 music. But this world, anything that makes any sense is ignored. what a waste.

My 2018 Acura TLX A-SPEC/Red, has an ELS; (Elliot Scheiner), system with 5.1, & 400+ watts
No DVD/Audio, but the DTS discs, & Apple Car Play, sound damn good

Any advice here folks? The Odyssey does dts tracks from DVD-Video, but many of my DVD-A titles have Advanced Resolution Surround and Dolby 448 Kbps 5.1 - so I figure I will rip the high res and convert to 1.509 Mbps dts and thus better the included Dolby.

I've been able to use surcode dts encoder and as long as I convert my FLAC/WAV files to 24/48, it will encode to dts with no issues. Here is where I'm having trouble...

The player won't just play dts audio files, it will only play them as an audio track on a movie on the DVD-Video...how do I author a video that will jsut have a still jpeg/whatever and the audio track? I am having some trouble figuring this last part out.

Audiomuxer will create a DVDV iso with optional image and sub title text for each track. Since my car has a mod that allows it to display video while playing I use the album cover and track title.

This method is painful. I’d rather just play the same FLAC files I’ve created for my 7.1 home system and PC than make special DVDs and have to store them in my car.

Back