HiRez Poll O'Jays, The - SHIP AHOY [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of O'Jays - SHIP AHOY

• Total voters
Did this one come out in Stereo originally?

I see my multichannel SACD has a UPC number of 074643240826 printed on the case, but the slipcase it came in has a different UPC of 074643240864 (the last 2 numbers are different between the two).

Same deal with the Isley Brothers 3+3. Different number on the slipcase.

No, single layer multichannel from the start for both. The booklets are from the cd releases.

sonic nirvana and in my all-time top 5 favourite surround sound music titles.

everything about it is the very best of the best. the surround mix, the music, the performances, the sound quality, the concept of the album. All truly exceptional.

it's just so sad it's now so hard to find. I picked it up at the Virgin Megastore for £16 a few years back (it was the lone copy on import) and have never looked back!

a genuine "Desert Island" disc for me. a life-changing, magnificent work of art.

there's a rave review of it by some obsessive fella called "fredblue" over on sa-cd.net btw.. ;)

This is one of the discs at the top of my list......

But not much chance of getting it these days....

11. I bought the Q8 and SACD the week they were released. Musically, and mix wise, it just doesn't get better than this. Fidelity is great for 1973. Ship Ahoy!

This air I breathe, it don't belong to me. I suck it in, I blow it out. It just won't stay in my mouth...

This is one of the discs at the top of my list......

But not much chance of getting it these days....

never give up! one day, when you're least expecting it, one might just pop up.

one problem looking for it through used bins is that it might not be immediately obvious it's the SACD, as without the plastic slipcover it is identical to the redbook from the front.. and only the spine with the small red SACD logo and a tiny bit of blurb on the back cover about the mix being repurposed from the quad give the game away.

do you ever check on sa-cd.net from time to time, just in case there's one used on one of the amazon sites at a sensible price? it's how I got my Isley 3+3 SACD cheap.

11. I bought the Q8 and SACD the week they were released. Musically, and mix wise, it just doesn't get better than this. Fidelity is great for 1973. Ship Ahoy!

This air I breathe, it don't belong to me. I suck it in, I blow it out. It just won't stay in my mouth...

Hear! Hear! Ahoy sailor! :banana:

It's interesting reading this thread and noticing the dates of posts how this disc went from new and no problem for buying it, to disappearing fast.. I was only able obtain my copy a few years ago by being at the right place, right time on the internet and sticking to a price I could afford.

As other's have mentioned, too bad they didn't re-release more of these titles from the Quad era. But I suppose we we're lucky in a strange way that anything at all got released looking back to the 2000's. Nevertheless, MC has grown firmly rooted over the years and there are literally 1000's of titles sitting there in the vaults waiting to be released either as downloads or discs by the record companies.

The future ain't what it used to be. - Yogi Berra

It's interesting reading this thread and noticing the dates of posts how this disc went from new and no problem for buying it, to disappearing fast.. I was only able obtain my copy a few years ago by being at the right place, right time on the internet and sticking to a price I could afford.

As other's have mentioned, too bad they didn't re-release more of these titles from the Quad era. But I suppose we we're lucky in a strange way that anything at all got released looking back to the 2000's. Nevertheless, MC has grown firmly rooted over the years and there are literally 1000's of titles sitting there in the vaults waiting to be released either as downloads or discs by the record companies.

oh absolutely! the way these things have disappeared altogether prompts me to ask just how niche and modest-selling these things actually are/were! (one of the reasons always levelled at the death of DVDA/SACD, lack of take up/interest/sales).. it just doesn't add up!

Enough people were buying them (and are still buying them!) for them to be virtually impossible to come by now, even at crazy prices!

Demand definitely outstripped supply on these beauties. How did it ever come to this?!?

I hope this OOP SACD will be affordable for everyone in the near future :cool:

I hope this OOP SACD will be affordable for everyone in the near future :cool:

I hope so too! I'm not sure I can afford to keep upping the premium on my contents insurance for all this stuff!

Every time I see the SACDs I paid £10-£20 for are now fetching £100+ my heart skips a beat and I think "this is nuts! these are just CDs..! how would I explain to my broker the dramatic appreciation values of these bits of plastic if God forbid anything were to happen at home..?!?"

Now, do you know something we don't, Grill..?
Are these Sony SACDs being primed for re-release?
Wouldn't that be something!?

Back