OK Quad guys! What's your receiver???

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have TWO functional quad units...

Kenwood KR-8840
Pioneer QX-9900

I also have a Kenwood KR-9040 (Japanese equivalent to the 9940) and a Kenwood KR-8340.....Both in need of repair

Attachments

• Kenwood KR-8840 front.jpg
    Kenwood KR-8840 front.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 572
  • pioneer QX-9900 front.jpg
    pioneer QX-9900 front.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 505
I have a particular fondness for my Kenwood 9940 - not enough Ins and Outs; but, then, there are never enough. I have two: one I bought for parts, only to discover that the two units are quite a bit different, inside. So, for practical purposes I have one. A real powerhouse - powering two pairs of HPM 100s. I hated the faux wood side panels and had a cabinet maker craft somewhat thicker, solid Walnut sides, giving it an even more massive appearance. My first Kenwood was the 9340 which, of the two, is still my preference - less power, but with a less business-like, more refined - even "elegant" two-toned (warm platinum and rose gold)front panel; the 9340 failed me one day - went silent with the smell of burning phenolic and enough smoke to set off the smoke detector: it obviously struggled for life (took a while to realize where the smell was coming from), but in the end it went the way of all used and abused equipment. The 9940 from my studio was immediately substituted; the 9340 remained a door stop for quite some time, awaiting a rebuild. Then, one day, I noticed it wasn't in its place and discovered my spouse (can't refer to her as a wife, because a loving 'wife' would never DO what she did!) had some time past donated it to Goodwill Industries. I frantically searched for it but, in the end, realized Goodwill had likely tested it and placed it in the dumpster. The CD-4 decoder is not preferred by most; but the two I've experienced functioned beautifully. The Big Boy has since moved back to the studio, replaced by a big-assed Onkyo receiver, purchased for the sole purpose of decoding DTS and (I hate to use the words) Dolby Digital in the living room; it is complicated, with menus and sub-menus, and functions that make no sense to me, at all. Several have taken the opportunity to discuss their other non-receiver equipment. At one time or another, I've had one of about everything new and/or novel in audio. I still have both of the Sony 20** decoders, using the 2010 only for the meters. I also had a fondness for the SQ-Ws and still have a couple, one recapped and used occasionally and one awaiting a rebuild (with...HER...having been threatened with wrath untold if she comes within 20 feet of the thing. We have our differences. And the Tate II, of course; everyone seems to have one. Mine has the remote, with cable threaded under the carpet my Mother sent me from Morrocco (really proud of the rug; if I had the energy I'd likely attach a pic of it, probably before my sound stuff); one of my projects - actually my projected project was converting it to wireless. In truth, as I've aged, I find riding my Motorcycle is more companionable an experience. Oh, sometimes I lure another Innocent into my house, sit them in the "sweet spot," and assail their senses with QUAD-by God! And occasionally I'm rewarded with a "Wow." I'm also really pleased with the Involve decoder, mine being on its way back home for the SQ refit. I'm without a turntable, at the moment, having managed to drop my black Zero in attempting to place it atop ( ! ) a tall cubbord I use in the hall...that feeds the Living Room: hit on one corner, which effectively destroyed the articulated tone-arm. Life can be cruel.

Receiver, I don't need no stinkin' receiver. I use two Lexicon CP3 preamps and an Adcom 5-ch power amplifier.

Yes sir! Just got her. Needed some repairs and may still need a little more attention but Im falling for it big time. :)

Peacekeepr73...I have the SQR 6750. Presently in storage. About the only difference is that it doesn't have the four
VU meters, but it does have full logic and wave matching.

Hiya Ehtoo,

Welcome to the QQ forums, aaaaaaaaaawesome you joined

Your receiver looks freaking koooooooooooo :banana:

Nice buy at 20 wow :yikes

Thanks. Took a chance as the Sally Anne didn`t have any speakers lying around to check if it worked. It does! I have a couple of dial lamp replacements and will Ohm out caps just in case. I need to hunt down two knobs to replace the ones missing their decorative caps (aesthetics). Had to beat off two other guys who were literally two seconds behind me in grabbing this unit. Discovered this thread when I was doing some quick research on line for a service manual.

I currently do not have a quad receiver. Instead, I have a Sony DA2ES receiver that I use for 5.1 sound decoding from laserdisc, DVD and HD-DVD players. My quad source is a turntable and LP's. I use either a Stereo-4 or a Lafayette SQ-L decoder (depending on the LP) on the turntable's audio. The audio from the decoder is then piped into 4 of the 5.1 sound inputs on the DA2ES. This allows me to adjust the sound volume on all 4 channels and use 4 of the 5 existing speakers.

In the past, my first receiver was a 2 channel one that was nothing special. For quad, I bought a Lafayette LA-424 amp and quad decoder. It had composer circuitry that could synthesize quad from 2 channel sources. I still have the LA-424 that I have kept all these years. It has the Quality Control Inspection label on its back dated 10-21-71.

Jon, good to see that you are still around. I have been inactive for some years, but still have my original Sansui receivers (QRX-9001, QRX-7001, QRX-777. I can't believe I have not turned any of them on in ages, but that will probably change soon as I just ordered 2 lp's via Amazon.

Jon, good to see that you are still around. I have been inactive for some years, but still have my original Sansui receivers (QRX-9001, QRX-7001, QRX-777. I can't believe I have not turned any of them on in ages, but that will probably change soon as I just ordered 2 lp's via Amazon.

Still here. A little bit older and a little bit bolder! :)

Back