• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Old Quadradisc Ad with "Barney"!!

Old Quad Guy

Preservationist
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Jon for the ad.

What a strange cartoon. No wonder people we're totally confused about Quad. Also, the "What is Quadradisc" part of the ad was way.... too long for the average person who just wants music. Just tell them to buy it, what they get and how cool it is. Unfortunately Barney found out he didn't need Quad. :confused:

Last edited:

Bonzodog

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Reaction score
Great old ad. I love seeing these things.
Thank you.

Quadwreck

Since 2002/2003
Reaction score
Unfortunately Barney found he had to keep switching gear when he played a Columbia LP after an RCA LP, then again for an ABC LP, then had plug in the Q8 player for an Apple quad, then the QR deck for his Moody Blues, leaving him broke and bibble-bibble cuckoo.

jaybird100

900 Club - QQ All-Star
Reaction score
Unfortunately Barney found he had to keep switching gear when he played a Columbia LP after an RCA LP, then again for an ABC LP, then had plug in the Q8 player for an Apple quad, then the QR deck for his Moody Blues, leaving him broke and bibble-bibble cuckoo.
Bibble-bibble???:D

timbre4

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Reaction score
I remember this one; thought it was silly but the list of titles was so EXCITING at the time it didn't matter.

Today, Barney posts on SH forums under a number of channel-deprived aliases.

Doug G.

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Reaction score
Yup, I thought, at the time, that this one was thought up by some dumb marketing types.

I mean, the ad type states that Barney discovered that he won't have to grow four ears (which, in itself, is stupid because he would only have to grow two additional ears - assuming he already has two) but there he is, in the cartoon, with four ears (along with four mouths and four eyes). Decidedly NOT a brilliant ad campaign.

Doug

timbre4

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Reaction score
I believe it was the first or second WEA ad that mentioned specific titles coming to quad; my eyes went to that list first and when I finially quit jumping up and down I might have read the rest of it. Agreed too wordy; a simple diagram or a headline that said "get in the middle of your favorite recordings" would have telegraphed a stronger message than this "clever" marketing doo-doo.

timbre4

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Reaction score
Even before this ad appeared, I got a nice reply from Jac Holzman on lovely Elektra butterfly letterhead. In my early 1973 letter where I requested replacement for a Doors cassette that failed (and they did replace), I also asked about quad releases.

"Elektra plans to release four channel music later this year..."

Will definitely post the letter if/when I find it in my archives (junk)...