Old Quadradisc Ad with "Barney"!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Anyone remember this one? (I don't) ;)

Attachments

• cd4-ad.jpg
    cd4-ad.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 242
Thanks Jon for the ad.

What a strange cartoon. No wonder people we're totally confused about Quad. Also, the "What is Quadradisc" part of the ad was way.... too long for the average person who just wants music. Just tell them to buy it, what they get and how cool it is. Unfortunately Barney found out he didn't need Quad. :confused:

Last edited:
Unfortunately Barney found he had to keep switching gear when he played a Columbia LP after an RCA LP, then again for an ABC LP, then had plug in the Q8 player for an Apple quad, then the QR deck for his Moody Blues, leaving him broke and bibble-bibble cuckoo.

I remember this one; thought it was silly but the list of titles was so EXCITING at the time it didn't matter.

Today, Barney posts on SH forums under a number of channel-deprived aliases.

Yup, I thought, at the time, that this one was thought up by some dumb marketing types.

I mean, the ad type states that Barney discovered that he won't have to grow four ears (which, in itself, is stupid because he would only have to grow two additional ears - assuming he already has two) but there he is, in the cartoon, with four ears (along with four mouths and four eyes). Decidedly NOT a brilliant ad campaign.

Doug

I believe it was the first or second WEA ad that mentioned specific titles coming to quad; my eyes went to that list first and when I finially quit jumping up and down I might have read the rest of it. Agreed too wordy; a simple diagram or a headline that said "get in the middle of your favorite recordings" would have telegraphed a stronger message than this "clever" marketing doo-doo.

Even before this ad appeared, I got a nice reply from Jac Holzman on lovely Elektra butterfly letterhead. In my early 1973 letter where I requested replacement for a Doors cassette that failed (and they did replace), I also asked about quad releases.

"Elektra plans to release four channel music later this year..."

Will definitely post the letter if/when I find it in my archives (junk)...

Back