Olfield "Hergest Ridge" NOT QUAD in "Boxed"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, but the blog fills in many very long hours in an even longer day. Plus i enjoy releasing Quad decodes for the enjoyment of those who would otherwise not be able to do so.....

Well, the blog's just about to celebrate its 200th release, so there's plenty to choose from

They do not decode accurately in DP-II, but it is known (like the QS decoders) that DP-II can give a 'quad' effect from almost any source

I don't need to listen to SQ through DP-II, why would i want to?

He's not asking you to. He's asking you this:

"Have you actually played a QS recording via PL II? "

The discussion was about SQ, i don't expect the discution to change mid stream. i'll admit i mis-read that, but as i said.......

Revive! I bought the 2000 CD issue of Hergest Ridge as this was supposedly the same mix as the Boxed CD release that would decode into quad using DPLII. There are some great parts (such as the big cornet melody in part I) that are washed in reverb in the 1976 mix and I thought might come a bit to the fore in quad. Alas, it does not decode as such.

There is a later DD package of it you might want to track down.

Do you mean the 2010 deluxe edition mix? If so, yes, and it’s terrific. But it’s closer to the original mix Oldfield did whereas the Boxed 1976 mix is pretty different in general ... with fewer instruments in the mix and a lot more minimal and atmospheric.

I had just been hoping to hear the 1976 mix in surround. It may be that earlier editions of the CD preserve the SQ encoding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Revive! I bought the 2000 CD issue of Hergest Ridge as this was supposedly the same mix as the Boxed CD release that would decode into quad using DPLII. There are some great parts (such as the big cornet melody in part I) that are washed in reverb in the 1976 mix and I thought might come a bit to the fore in quad. Alas, it does not decode as such.

Try an SQ decoder.

Dolby pro's are far more akin to QS.

Back