OPPO Digital Ends Audio Products Production (April 2018)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I signed up for the last of the Mohicans...
What am I gonna get??

Will it be a Region Free player (please???)
Cause I got PLENNNNTYY of European releases and I'd need to play them...or else I'd go NUTS (well...more so..)

What am I gonna get??

Cause I got PLENNNNTYY of European releases and I'd need to play them...or else I'd go NUTS (well...more so..)

An easy way to work around region coding is to rip to MKV and play those files. They're bit-perfect copies with all the soundtracks and subtitles, but they won't be restricted.

What am I gonna get??

Will it be a REGION FREE Player...........Well, Kap, you're NOT going to believe this......all my life [well, not ALL of it] I 'lusted' after a REGION FREE Player. So I plucked my hard earned money down and bought a REGION FREE OPPO UHD 205 from the Bombay Company in New Jersey. Problem is, it plays Region FREE BD~Vs flawlessly as well as RBCDs and DVD~As but IT WON'T PLAY SACD. OPPO Digital will NOT repair it as they won't touch players with Region Free Chips installed so unless I [who's NOT mechanical] can take the damn thing apart and remove the chip and send it to Oppo for repairs.......well, you know the rest. I will have to pack it up and send it back to the Bombay Company in Jersey where I 'supposedly' have a 2 year warranty but for some reason, I feel somewhat skittish about that.

So watch what you wish for. I need to do something or risk having this beautiful player which cannot play the over 1500+ SACDs I have in my collection. I should probably do it SOON and just insert my SONY UHD X800 player [which is NOT region free] back into the system and just ship the OPPO back. Of course, in anticipation of the region free OPPO, I went Region B crazy and ordered a literal TON of 3D/2D steelbook editions from Zavvi in the UK.

Oppo sent an email today to whoever signed up recently for BDP-203 availability. They are for sale first-come, first-serve until July 8 for those on the list. Remaining units will be made to the public after then. Glad I was able to snag an extra before they're all gone. Whew!

Will it be a REGION FREE Player...........Well, Kap, you're NOT going to believe this......all my life [well, not ALL of it] I 'lusted' after a REGION FREE Player. So I plucked my hard earned money down and bought a REGION FREE OPPO UHD 205 from the Bombay Company in New Jersey. Problem is, it plays Region FREE BD~Vs flawlessly as well as RBCDs and DVD~As but IT WON'T PLAY SACD. OPPO Digital will NOT repair it as they won't touch players with Region Free Chips installed so unless I [who's NOT mechanical] can take the damn thing apart and remove the chip and send it to Oppo for repairs.......well, you know the rest. I will have to pack it up and send it back to the Bombay Company in Jersey where I 'supposedly' have a 2 year warranty but for some reason, I feel somewhat skittish about that.

So watch what you wish for. I need to do something or risk having this beautiful player which cannot play the over 1500+ SACDs I have in my collection. I should probably do it SOON and just insert my SONY UHD X800 player [which is NOT region free] back into the system and just ship the OPPO back. Of course, in anticipation of the region free OPPO, I went Region B crazy and ordered a literal TON of 3D/2D steelbook editions from Zavvi in the UK.
I( suspect stories like this are probably what inspired the "Oppo Superdisc".

Oppo sent an email today to whoever signed up recently for BDP-203 availability. They are for sale first-come, first-serve until July 8 for those on the list. Remaining units will be made to the public after then. Glad I was able to snag an extra before they're all gone. Whew!

Just to let you know...not everybody on the list got a notification....consider yourself lucky:)

Erebus.......did ya get one - Snood got the email tooo , but they gave me til July 5th 11:59 - Snood jumped in the pool - sheeeet they auctioning for close to 900 bid wise on Ebay - so eeeeeeeeeeven if Snood no likey (which me doubt) ........

Erebus.......did ya get one - Snood got the email tooo , but they gave me til July 5th 11:59 - Snood jumped in the pool - sheeeet they auctioning for close to 900 bid wise on Ebay - so eeeeeeeeeeven if Snood no likey (which me doubt) ........

Congrats Snood...new A/C....new Oppo….retirement on the horizon....all's well in Snoodville:SB

Well I emailed Oppo hoping I might still be in the running for another 203...I was lucky to snag one at the last minute from a retail outlet...so here is the reply I got from Oppo

"we only had a small number of units and thousands of people signed up on the list, so the vast majority of people on the list did not receive an email"......so like I said earlier... if you got that email from Oppo you were lucky(y)

I did Snood of the dancing banana! :dance

And feel doubly lucky after hearing from Clint that not everybody got an email. (y)

Awwwwwwwwwesome got mine today in the mail all nice and purty - Smells like bananas toooooooo :LB
I think you'll love it. I modded my existing one with an external USB dongle so I can play region B Blu-ray discs. Lots of great movies from labels in the UK like Eureka, Indicator and Arrow (to name a few) that are unavailable in the US.

Clint--sorry you didn't get that email...:(.

Back