DVD/DTS Poll Parsons, Alan - The Secret [DTS DVD+CD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the ADVD of Alan Parsons - THE SECRET

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2019 release from Alan Parsons, called "The Secret", available in a CD/DVD deluxe package with a DTS 5.1 Surround Mix.

Pre-release discussion thread HERE

Last edited:
I find this release very enjoyable.
His choice of songs makes it a relaxing moment where you are not bombarded with overly engineered music.
The mix completely suits this release, as it adds to it, rather than detracting from what he set out to do.
So from me Alan, Thankyou for having continual faith in surround music and for keeping this niche market in your thoughts.
Long may it continue.
A 9 for all the things I've mentioned.

An enjoyable album that has some rather good moments. The mix is really good - I agree it suits the music and adds to the flow. I'd say a couple of the songs are a tad filler - but mostly the album works well... The Sorcerer's Apprentice kicks things off in great style! I like Requiem as well... (It reminds me of Tomorrow Never Dies?!)

A solid effort from all involved, I'd give it an 8...

Now let's hope I, Robot is next in line for the surround treatment! :phones

I find the music pretty enjoyable throughout, although some songs are a bit bland for me. I tend to like "symphonic rock" and classical music, so "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" is a standout for me, as is "As Lights Fall" (which is a bit reminiscent of "Eye In The Sky") . The fidelity is decent... although the drums seem a bit muffled on some tracks (or maybe just too low in the mix?). The surround mix of the music is very discrete, as I would expect from Alan Parsons, but I'm not experiencing the sonic bliss I've experienced with some of his other surround mixes such as "Dark Side of the Moon", "Eye in The Sky", "Tales of Mystery...", or even the slightly less impressive "On Air". For most of the songs I find the vocals are too hot in the mix (especially on "Miracle" which is a great song made unfortunately unlistenable for me because of the loud vocal). The vocals sound pretty well balanced on "Fly To Me" and "Requiem", however, and I enjoy both tunes. I'm frustrated that such good content created and mixed by a master engineer isn't sounding so great to me, but I think I'm in the minority so it's probably worth taking a chance on. Content=2, fidelity=3, mix=1.5, and I'll give 0.5 bonus points for the price/package (an excellent value), so 7 overall.

Based on recent comments about the "Miracle" vocal being too "hot" I had my wife listen to it, both in stereo and surround. Several times. I asked her afterward, does anything JUMP OUT at you? Is anything wrong?
She said no. I then told her that some listeners feel that the vocal is too "hot". She replied, "doesn't that mean recorded too loudly?" Well, yes dear. She then shrugged, saying the vocal is "forward," but within normal limits for pop.
Is it possible that some kind of auto eq or other AVR wizardry is affecting playback for some listeners? Miracle just sounds like a normal pop song to me.

Based on recent comments about the "Miracle" vocal being too "hot" I had my wife listen to it, both in stereo and surround. Several times. I asked her afterward, does anything JUMP OUT at you? Is anything wrong?
She said no. I then told her that some listeners feel that the vocal is too "hot". She replied, "doesn't that mean recorded too loudly?" Well, yes dear. She then shrugged, saying the vocal is "forward," but within normal limits for pop.
Is it possible that some kind of auto eq or other AVR wizardry is affecting playback for some listeners? Miracle just sounds like a normal pop song to me.
Nope! I always play discs in pure direct mode.
And no, the vocals were not recorded, but mixed too loud. It is ok that vocals are upfront, but the music is secondary in this mix. And this was not a good discision, mixwise.
Just my 2 c!

I voted 9. I really like this production in surround, has lots of levels and is good music. I don't have problem with the vocals being too loud as others have. I purchased this 3 weeks ago and I have listened 3 times already so that tells me I like it and it is new music which is refreshing.
The digipack and liner notes are pretty basic.
Alan Parsons is a very famous artist, composer and engineer and I am sure he is always at the top of his game.
I recommend others purchase it for a good listening experience.

"A return to the sound that Alan Parsons was so revered for"
That would be the stomach churning pop sound post the first album FYI.
The mix sounds good. The first track is the offering for the more prog wanting audience. Like the similar track on his other albums, it has moments but is overall uninteresting. The vocals make me instantly hit the skip button. Someone mentioned the vox being hot in the first vocal song. They did seem hot but it's just the pop vocal front and center and music as background mix aesthetic.
So, this music isn't for me. Still a big fan of his engineering prowess and this mix sounds good. I always want to check out his recordings in hopes of returning to what he hinted at with that first album but he never does. (I have the same reaction to Steve Wilson FWIW. A monster behind the board. I just don't get the killing time with the vocal centric stuff though.)
If you like the pop stuff post the first album, you just might like this too.

Joining the "8" crowd on this one. I like this album much more than On Air, which always seemed bland to me despite having an excellent surround mix.

The surround mix is fantastic. It's typical AP: mostly quad (though "One Note Symphony" has a bit of narration in the center channel) and very discrete. Lots of guitar, piano, brass, and backing vocals in the rears.

Standout tracks for me are "Soiree Fantastique", "Requiem", "The Limelight Fades Away", and "As Lights Fall".

It's competent stuff, it's cheap, and it's got a nice surround mix. I really can't see any reason not to give it a shot...

"Soiree Fantastique":
Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 6.32.07 PM.png

"Requiem":
Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 6.32.47 PM.png

I checked, but I don't have any additional processing... I then replayed a few Alan Parson surround faves for comparison, and they sound fine. I guess it's just a personal preference :)

I guess it's just a personal preference :)
I think that's right. The only thing I don't necessarily agree with is that an engineering mistake was made, which I think has been stated or implied by some (and they are entitled to that opinion).
I don't recall anybody on QQ calling out "Miracle" as a favorite track, so it's evidently NOT the kind of mix for us. Perhaps, it was mixed with Jason Mraz fans in mind.

On my fourth listen, I generally like the album. A bit of a light weight, but I like the songs. Mix is good, a little forward perhaps. I have some questions I’m guessing a few others have had...like why was this not done on blu ray, and I know others like the Sorcerer’s Apprentice but I feel it’s out of place. Kinda like expecting Pamela Anderson to show up at your front door only to find your ex mother-in-law. Anyway, I’ll join the ‘8’ crowd on this one.

Last edited:
I, like others, preordered this release 'cause I'm a pretty solid Parson's fan.
However I waited to throw my 2 cents in because I wanted to make sure I was being fair.
The production is pretty darn good....but the music just doesn't grab me. It's not totally without merit, it just is not appealing to me.
I almost want to apologize...I mean I certainly didn't expect to feel this way. After 2 listens it went on the shelf, and maybe some day
I'll revisit it.
Alan Parsons, I appreciate you. It's just not my cup of tea... but I still look forward to more surround releases from the master.
I gave "The Secret" an 8.

I just replayed parts of this the other day. I like it, but not as much as other Parsons works. After playing a handful of tunes from The Secret, I always seem to have to go back a play a few from Eye, Pyramid, I Robot or Turn to feel Parso-fied.

The mix and fidelity are quite good. I gave it an 8.

Last edited:
Had a chance to listen to this yesterday. First thought was " what the hell is Sorcerer's Apprentice doing here? " I can't say I am impresed with the rest of the album either. It is just ok. The surround sound is good, as should be expected. I didn't find that the vocals were overly strong necessarily. I haven't voted but in my book this would be more like a 5 or 6. Disappointing to say the least. Like many others I had pre -ordered this as well.

Back