Penteo Pro 16 Upmix/Downmix Plug-In

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have this upmixer and have been converting my 5.1 concerts to 7.1.4 DTS:X

It does a really decent job and worth all the work involved - I,m pleased with the results..

Once the concerts are done, I will be upmixing all my 5.1 albums to DTS:X

Look what they've done with the company they stole from John Wheeler. Sucks bigtime.

https://www.perfectsurround.com/

I have this upmixer and have been converting my 5.1 concerts to 7.1.4 DTS:X

It does a really decent job and worth all the work involved - I,m pleased with the results..

Once the concerts are done, I will be upmixing all my 5.1 albums to DTS:X

Hey John,

I am tempted to try the free trial to check it out. Is it fairly straight forward to use? Do you need to do a lot of tweaking or does it just do most of the heavy lifting on its own?

Hey John,

I am tempted to try the free trial to check it out. Is it fairly straight forward to use? Do you need to do a lot of tweaking or does it just do most of the heavy lifting on its own?

It is very easy to use - in the case of going 5.1 to 7.1.4, you can control how much goes to the top 4 speakers, and how much the sound goes to the rear speakers - there is a Drop Vox button which I activate to have no lead vocals move to the height speakers..

In 2.0 to 5.1 mode, it's really simple too - you essentially just control the levels of C and the surrounds..

results in 2.0 to 5.1 vary as with most upmixers, all depending on how the stereo was mixed- especially good about Penteo is it relatively artifact free..

another caveat, if you plan to upmix to either Atmos or DTS:X, both encoders only run on a Mac...

I’m tempted by this too. I’d rather. listen to an upmix than stereo, and I have lots of great strero albums that will never get real surround mixes. I like the 5.1 to Atmos remix idea for concerts too.

Question: What is the cost to buy a Protools license than can be used with the new Penteo upmixer plug-in?

I’m tempted by this too. I’d rather. listen to an upmix than stereo, and I have lots of great strero albums that will never get real surround mixes. I like the 5.1 to Atmos remix idea for concerts too.

Question: What is the cost to buy a Protools license than can be used with the new Penteo upmixer plug-in?

You don't need Protools to do the upmixing

Just get Reaper - it's only $60 and way simpler than PT.. what I love about using Reaper is their batch tool - you can add all the songs of an album and upmix them all in one shot..

Thanks.
So Reaper and Penteo 16 will upmix to 5.1, 7.1 and 7.1.2. I guess this is to multichannel wav? Sounds straight forward as I can easily make 5,1 or 7.1 FLACs.

To get DTS:X I’d need a DTS:X encoder. Any idea on cost for that?

Any specific hardware requirements? I’ve got a recent 8 core Windows 10 PC with 16GB Ram, 2 x Samsung SSDs and 2.5GBE network to my NAS, so plenty of fast storage and processing.

I’m going to order an iLok USB device. I emailed Penteo support and it will run on the latest iLok 3. They also said the trial version is fully functional for the 14 day trial, so should be able to try quite a bit of content, both input and output configurations.

I‘m ordering the iLok ASAP but won’t activate the Penteo trial until next weekend as I’m fully committed to other projects for next few days.

Thanks.
So Reaper and Penteo 16 will upmix to 5.1, 7.1 and 7.1.2. I guess this is to multichannel wav? Sounds straight forward as I can easily make 5,1 or 7.1 FLACs.

you can choose 5.1 or 7.1 flac as your output through Reaper

To get DTS:X I’d need a DTS:X encoder. Any idea on cost for that?

it's $1500 US for DTS:X - I already owned a DTS encoder, so my cost was $800 as an upgrade... If you only want to go 7.1, then just use the DTS-MA encoder and you avoid the need to use a Mac

The Atmos encoder is much cheaper but it would require Protools and a powerful Macintosh - I dont know if you can buy a standalone Atmos encoder..

Any specific hardware requirements? I’ve got a recent 8 core Windows 10 PC with 16GB Ram, 2 x Samsung SSDs and 2.5GBE network to my NAS, so plenty of fast storage and processing.

plenty of power for Reaper/penteo/DTS-MA..

Having to use a Mac forces me to use my NAS to transfer files and really time consuming..

in your case Homer, you really dont even need the DTS-MA encoder, as you can just play the 7.1 Flacs directly

you need the DTS:X encoder if you are doing 7.4.1, as Flac is limited to 8 Channels, and players cannot bitstream a 12 channel file either..has to be encoded..

Thanks John.

I‘ll start with 5.1 and 7.1 FLAC and see how that goes. My daughter (still living at home) has a MacBook Pro so that maybe an option if I want to go to Atmos In the future.

BTW: I came across a QNAP 5GBE to USB 3 adapter that works with Linux (NAS), Windows and MAC so with my Synology NAS I could get over 400MB per sec file transfer with RAID5 and 5GBE. Around $130 AUD, under $100 USD each. If you don’t already have a fast network this would quadruple your file transfer speed.

I recently added a new Multi-Gigabit switch to give me 2.5GBE which gives me over 250 MB per sec, better than 1GBE at around 115MB per sec. My PC already had a 2.5GBE port and my nas has 4 x 1GBE ports which are set to Link Aggregation (parallel transfer) so I could get 4GB max speed without adding any hardware at the NAS And adding a single QNAP 5GBE USB adapter at my PC (or daughter’s Mac)

I came across a QNAP 5GBE to USB 3 adapter that works with Linux (NAS), Windows and MAC so with my Synology NAS I could get over 400MB per sec file transfer with RAID5 and 5GBE. Around $130 AUD, under $100 USD each. If you don’t already have a fast network this would quadruple your file transfer speed.

I recently added a new Multi-Gigabit switch to give me 2.5GBE which gives me over 250 MB per sec, better than 1GBE at around 115MB per sec. My PC already had a 2.5GBE port and my nas has 4 x 1GBE ports which are set to Link Aggregation (parallel transfer) so I could get 4GB max speed without adding any hardware at the NAS And adding a single QNAP 5GBE USB adapter at my PC (or daughter’s Mac)

Thanks - will look into this as I have lots of 5.1 music to do

I just found out that the Penteo plug-in was $100 off last month! Maybe they'll do a Black Friday or Cyber Monday deal on it in the next few weeks.

So John, if you get the basic Reaper ($60), an iLok 3 USB ($50), and Penteo (Hopefully for $100 off), that's all that's needed, correct?
I just want to be sure before I leap into unknown territory.

I just found out that the Penteo plug-in was $100 off last month! Maybe they'll do a Black Friday or Cyber Monday deal on it in the next few weeks.

So John, if you get the basic Reaper ($60), an iLok 3 USB ($50), and Penteo (Hopefully for $100 off), that's all that's needed, correct?

Thats what I’m getting Jon. My iLok comes today and I have Reaper installed ready to go. Reaper has a 60 day fully functional trial. After 14 days trial with Penteo I’ll make a decision on purchasing.

I hope we can get a discount on Penteo, especially since it’s for personal not commercial use.

If this turns out positive upmixes maybe we could negotiate a special QQ group buy discount?

I‘ll give feedback over the weekend as I have a few good stereo albums, different genres lined up to play with And plan to start experimenting tomorrow.

yup you are good to go to create up to 7.1 Flacs

Back