Pink Floyd - "Animals" 5.1 Surround Sound Mix (Blu-Ray & SACD editions out in September 2022!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm assuming no box set, then? That's actually a relief, at least for me. It's good to know I won't have to pay a premium price just to get the 5.1 mix!
That's happening in this very moment with The Beatles WA. I don't want to buy a huge box - full of extras that I don't care about - just for the surround mix.

I'm assuming no box set, then? That's actually a relief, at least for me. It's good to know I won't have to pay a premium price just to get the 5.1 mix!
That's happening in this very moment with The Beatles WA. I don't want to buy a huge box - full of extras that I don't care about - just for the surround mix.

I think there will definitely be some kind of major label deluxe edition release too, only with Blu-Ray (and maybe DVD-V too) instead of SACD, but certainly if that release ends up being too expensive for some, then the Multichannel SACD option should work for pretty much everyone else.

:)

Well, it's a very good indication that Chad has confirmed a SACD. Nothing is let slip on Floyd world without management's approval, so my understanding is that the ball is rolling again.
In the most recent past we got the Immersion edition announced and released before the SACD, so maybe we'll get to know something else soon. Or maybe not and the SACD will get in the fridge for years like what happened with WYWH.

I'm still itching to find out if a quad mix actually exists for this one...all those years of rumors about Meddle and it turned out that "Echoes" was indeed mixed to quad. This one actually made it as far as a listing in a LP/Tape catalog and a release number (JCQ/CAQ-34474).

And if the DSOTM release contains the quad mix, I'll be in Pig Heaven!

I wouldn’t count on it.
The only surround mix that will be on the Multichannel layer of the SACD will be the 2003 James Guthrie 5.1 mix.
As of right now, the only way to get the remastered Quad mix is on the (now OOP) Immersion box set.

I wouldn’t count on it.
The only surround mix that will be on the Multichannel layer of the SACD will be the 2003 James Guthrie 5.1 mix.
As of right now, the only way to get the remastered Quad mix is on the (now OOP) Immersion box set.

I think the overwhelming negative reaction to the 5.1 remix on the first SACD release was more to do with the original quad mix not being included. And of course it had been out of print for decades at the time. The remix would have been much more accepted at least as bonus tracks otherwise. So... they're doing this again?! Doesn't seem like a very good way to sell something but what do I know.

I wouldn’t count on it.

That would be a disappointment. I fail to see the logic of re-releasing the same-as-before, mostly unwanted, Guthrie mix on SACD when practically everyone wants the cleaned up quad mix in the Immersion set, which is going for $200+ these days. They could make a fortune producing more Immersion sets and selling them for $99, instead of making more dud-on-arrival Guthrie SACDs. Anyone who wants the Guthrie 5.1 mix already has it by now.

That would be a disappointment. I fail to see the logic of re-releasing the same-as-before, mostly unwanted, Guthrie mix on SACD when practically everyone wants the cleaned up quad mix in the Immersion set, which is going for $200+ these days. They could make a fortune producing more Immersion sets and selling them for $99, instead of making more dud-on-arrival Guthrie SACDs. Anyone who wants the Guthrie 5.1 mix already has it by now.

Very VERY true.....but Analogue Productions probably has an allegiance to James Guthrie [Roger Waters' 'preferred' remixer] and we're all aware of that rivalry between Guthrie and Alan Parsons regarding the DSOTM remixes so it's politics, as usual!

Last edited:

Like it or not, the band-approved surround sound mix is Guthrie's 2003 5.1 mix.
The band did not have any input in the original Quadraphonic mix (mixed by Alan Parsons) and even though they could have utilized that mix for the original 2003 Multichannel SACD, they chose to have Guthrie remix the album in 5.1 surround to their satisfaction.

I fail to see the logic of re-releasing the same-as-before, mostly unwanted, Guthrie mix on SACD when practically everyone wants the cleaned up quad mix in the Immersion set.
It's being re-released because it was one of the best selling SACDs of all time and it's been out of print and in demand. You obviously don't speak for practically everyone.

Back