Pink Floyd-DSOTM- Japan EMZ-82005

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawmacias

300 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
I am looking for somebody who has this "complete" release . The Discogs submission for this release [r5445633] needs a picture of the two page lyrics sheet. I have tried all 36 people, plus the original submitter to no avail so far. Thanks.

I just pulled out my copy and the lyrics sheet is actually a 24 page booklet approximately 8 by 12 inches in colour. I don't have a way to scan or shoot a picture at this time though.

I just pulled out my copy and the lyrics sheet is actually a 24 page booklet approximately 8 by 12 inches in colour. I don't have a way to scan or shoot a picture at this time though.
Sorry that is not it. This release (EMZ 82005) comes with a 32 page booklet , a one page insert (with 4 channel info) and a separate two page lyrics sheet. I am looking for the two page sheet for this release.

I am using the Discogs submission [r5445633] for my reference , which most likely came from http://www.pinkfloydarchives.com/DJaLPPF.htm#DSOTMq

I miscounted the pages as some were stuck together. I was feeling anxious that pages were missing. There is an auction on Yahoo for the stock copy that has the 4 channel info sheet and booklet. I have never seen a separate lyric sheet in the last few years of auctions with this title. What I can not figure out is why they would include the lyrics in Japanes twice in the same package. The booklet has English and Japanese lyrics and the record jacket has English inside as well. At least I won't be looking for the posters and stickers as there seems to have not been any.

I never looked at the matrix numbers before. They are the same as the listing you provided. What I don't get is why they are using SQ stamper numbers and issuing it as an RM disc. It plays very well in QS but have not tried SQ yet.

I miscounted the pages as some were stuck together. I was feeling anxious that pages were missing. There is an auction on Yahoo for the stock copy that has the 4 channel info sheet and booklet. I have never seen a separate lyric sheet in the last few years of auctions with this title. What I can not figure out is why they would include the lyrics in Japanes twice in the same package. The booklet has English and Japanese lyrics and the record jacket has English inside as well. At least I won't be looking for the posters and stickers as there seems to have not been any.

Yeah, I have five copies of this release and no lyrics sheet. And I agree that it is overkill to have the lyrics on the gatefold , the booklet and a separate lyrics sheet. But look at the box set, marbles included!

The matrix numbers start with QSHVL, the same as the British SQ releases. Similar matrix numbers come from other countries that EMI did business, such as Australia and Brazil.

The matrix numbers start with QSHVL, the same as the British SQ releases. Similar matrix numbers come from other countries that EMI did business, such as Australia and Brazil.
So it seems EMI just followed through with their quadraphonic matrix identification I would assume. They only know the reasoning behind that.

That is why it has long been suspected that the RM version is actually SQ
That would explain why my UK quad LP and the Japanese RM seem to decode about the same. I thought my Sansui was on the fritz. I actually think they both play better in QS as the vocals are front and centre. In SQ the vocals seem to be everywhere. The Japanese copy I have seems slightly sharper in detail, but my UK copy has been played easily 100 times and more since I got it used in 1991.

Mark , what I've read seems show that RM leans towards the QS side , but not altogether though, as this excerpt from Wikipedia suggests : Regular Matrix was often used a synonym for QS, but was actually a standard set by the Japanese governing body, which also embraced the QM and QX matrix systems.

There is other good reading on this : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QS_Regular_Matrix and https://quadraphonicaudio.wordpress.com/2009/07/12/qs-aka-rm/. Not the last word for sure , but good reading none the less.

More info here: http://midimagic.sgc-hosting.com/surround.htm -

1969 First known use of matrix for surround sound:
  • Peter Scheiber's regular matrix system.
  • It never sold, but was functionally the same as QS.
    • 1971 CBS announces SQ matrix, different from all others in use.
    • 1971 Sansui announces QS, a regular matrix without phase problems.
    • 1975 CD-4 and SQ battle in US markets, regular matrix languishes.

Seems like Regular Matrix (RM) and SQ are different birds of a feather.

Hey, what happened to the lyrics page conversation ?! This mirrors my life. I start a thought , good stuff too, then I see something and there I go on another tangent!

Last edited:
I emailed the PF archive to verify the existance of the lyric sheet. I asked for permission to post the reply as well. I have never seen it in a few years of Japanese auction shopping, as my partner begrudgingly accepts.

For AHM, the Japan RM release use the same stamper of the UK one. Had it in my hands and eyes.
Since now we do have official hi-rez discrete release of the quad mix it is also easy to check out what it is: instrument placement of the matrixed version should be the same as the discrete - of course with less separation.

For AHM, the Japan RM release use the same stamper of the UK one. Had it in my hands and eyes.
Since now we do have official hi-rez discrete release of the quad mix it is also easy to check out what it is: instrument placement of the matrixed version should be the same as the discrete - of course with less separation.

Good stuff! Let us know what you find. Thanks!

I emailed the PF archive to verify the existance of the lyric sheet. I asked for permission to post the reply as well. I have never seen it in a few years of Japanese auction shopping, as my partner begrudgingly accepts.

Yeah , Japanese auctions can be expensive. But if it doesn't show up here for years , that is the option. I just purchased a Japan CCR Gold from a site in Japan. Since I've been on this trip , I've never seen it for sale here in the U.S.

Back