Pink Floyd-DSOTM- Japan EMZ-82005

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah... You were the one I didn't bid against. I have seen the US Gold LP perhaps 3 to 1 to the Japanese pressing but the Japanese will have better vinyl. I have the 8 track and can live with that for now. Was actually one of my first Q8s from a local record ahop for about 10 bux. Got Cat Stevens Greatest in the same batch of 5 tapes. Now that I have access to most of the quad reords and tapes I want, I have decided not to get too greedy and just buy when it is affordable and convenient. Now, just to save up for new styli and get a Q8 deck wirking that suits me. I have at least 8 or 9 that all have something wrong.

Ah... You were the one I didn't bid against. I have seen the US Gold LP perhaps 3 to 1 to the Japanese pressing but the Japanese will have better vinyl. I have the 8 track and can live with that for now. Was actually one of my first Q8s from a local record ahop for about 10 bux. Got Cat Stevens Greatest in the same batch of 5 tapes. Now that I have access to most of the quad reords and tapes I want, I have decided not to get too greedy and just buy when it is affordable and convenient. Now, just to save up for new styli and get a Q8 deck wirking that suits me. I have at least 8 or 9 that all have something wrong.

Yeah, I am getting there with my quad vinyl collection too. I have a couple of U.S. vinyls and one 8 track tape. I could not pass up the Japan issue. Now I have all three. Complete! I did see a multichannel CCR Gold cd on Mercado libre , but I think it was bootleg and haven't seen it since.

I seem to remember a DTS CD of Gold floating around as a "conversion". If you look hard enough online, you can prolly still find it as a safety back up of your legacy formats.

I seem to remember a DTS CD of Gold floating around as a "conversion". If you look hard enough online, you can prolly still find it as a safety back up of your legacy formats.
I think that is what it was (conversion) . Been a few years since I last seen it and I wouldn't mind picking one up for a safety backup.

Rawmacias, here is my reply from PFA.

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for the message.

This record came with a 2-page black and white sheet in both English and Japanese.

I do not have a copy, so I am unable to send you a pic. Sorry.

Best,

Vernon Fitch
Pink Floyd Archives

Now he doesn't say it is a lyric sheet, just that it is black and white in 2 languages. The 4 channel insert would be only Japanese. They can be scavenged from othe Toshiba-EMI 4 channel records of the era. The hunt goes on...

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for the message.

This record came with a 2-page black and white sheet in both English and Japanese.

Best,

Vernon Fitch
Pink Floyd Archives

Now he doesn't say it is a lyric sheet, just that it is black and white in 2 languages. The 4 channel insert would be only Japanese. They can be scavenged from othe Toshiba-EMI 4 channel records of the era. The hunt goes on...
Good stuff! At least we have a better description now - two page black and white in two languages! At Discogs, I have asked all thirty-six people who are on the "have" list and also the contributors to the submission. So far , about ten have answered back with no luck .

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for the message.

Best,

Vernon Fitch
Pink Floyd Archives

Matthew, Did he mention his source for this information? Or , maybe a direction to where we can find information on this specific release? And thanks!

Really interesting old post by Cai Campbell about the RM version of DSOTM. He seems to imply that it’s sourced from an SQ-decoder master, like the US Capitol Q8.

ICK! No way! The Japanese RM LP of DSOTM is the absolute worst quad version of this title, if you ask me. It decodes like crap compared to the SQ LP. I've compared a mint copy of the original U.K. SQ LP through a Tate II decoder to a mint copy of the Japanese RM LP through a Sansui QSD-1 and there is no comparison. The RM LP's quad soundfield is muddy, incoherent, unstable and just plain bad.

I've heard some really good RM and QS encoded discs, so I can't figure out what went wrong here. My theory is that the Japanese RM LP did not use discrete source, such as the quad master tape. I can only guess that they used an SQ master tape, decoded it and then re-encoded as RM for this pressing. That's the only reason I can think of for how bad this things sounds.

But hey, it's still a great quad collectible to have, but it is the LAST version I will reach for if I want to hear DSOTM in quad. By contrast, the Japanse RM LP of Atom Heart Mother is incredible! In fact, it is my very favorite RM/QS encoded LP.

Rawmacias, I got only what I pasted above. I didn"t wish to push further as they were kind enough to reply. I wonder if a stereo copy might be the same printing? Sometimes stuff is done in bulk without a number printed on it. Sorry I didn't think to ask for more info in my first email.

Rawmacias, I got only what I pasted above. I didn"t wish to push further as they were kind enough to reply. I wonder if a stereo copy might be the same printing? Sometimes stuff is done in bulk without a number printed on it. Sorry I didn't think to ask for more info in my first email.

No problem at all! I was just hoping. Yeah , I looked at my copies and the single sheet insert with quad info does not have the cat.# printed on it , unless it is in Japanese. The booklet does have the cat. # EMZ 82005. I've looked at other Japanese releases and some have what looks like the same booklet (deduced from a picture of the front page). But they do come with the matching cat. # for that release.
If the other (non EMZ 82005) releases do have a lyrics sheet with no cat. # printed on it , we still can't be sure it would be the one for the EMZ 82005 release.
To be sure , this is a lot of time invested for a piece of paper , but as a collector , well worth finding out if possible. I do appreciate everybody's time on this for sure. Robert

Really interesting old post by Cai Campbell about the RM version of DSOTM. He seems to imply that it’s sourced from an SQ-decoder master, like the US Capitol Q8.
Thanks for finding that post . From the small amount of what I have read about Cai , he was very well respected here on QQ , and a very knowledgeable person .
He mentions it as a "theory" as to how the RM (QS) release was made and as to why (in his respected opinion) it sounded so badly.
Fortunately , I do have the coveted U.K. Q8 tape for listening to great sound. My interest in the Japan RM release is for collecting and trying to make the Discogs submission as complete as possible.
Thanks again for enlightening me about Cai Campbell. And I look forward to reading his posts as time permits. Robert

So , now it is Nov and still no validation on the 2 page lyrics sheet. I have asked multiple PF sites and most people on Discogs . Nada! I am thinking that the info is misinfo that gets prepetuated by people using a website's information without validation. Seen this before on Discogs. Sure makes for a lot of work for this collector , that's for sure !

Back