Pink Floyd/The Division Bell - Ask Andy Jackson about the Mastering and the Mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
your guess is as good as mine on that one. Cover: not my department!

I had to try just in case you knew :)
Coming back to the musical department, were the synths on It's What We Do really recorded in 1993? They sound pretty much alike the ones on Shine On. I'm listening right now to the Bluray and I'm fascinated about the mix and sound for this particular song, specially how the synths and keyboards sound so warm. Even though the similarities with Shine On, I feel a greater warmth on TER compared with WYWH SACD.
Andy, If you have the time and you feel like, can you tell us more technical details about the recording and mix for It's What We Do?

Thanks!

Rick's "horn" solo & the strings that go with it are from a DAT recorded in 93. Probably a Korg M1, maybe with a Roland JX10, which is what we had at the time. Probably sounds programmed by Jon, who'd have tried to get as close to those WYWH sounds as he could.

THe DAT continued & went into an idea that Rick was working on which became "Woman of customs" on Broken China. THere is a later demo version of the song with DG singing it (as Man of Customs) from 93.

Rick's "horn" solo & the strings that go with it are from a DAT recorded in 93. Probably a Korg M1, maybe with a Roland JX10, which is what we had at the time. Probably sounds programmed by Jon, who'd have tried to get as close to those WYWH sounds as he could.

THe DAT continued & went into an idea that Rick was working on which became "Woman of customs" on Broken China. THere is a later demo version of the song with DG singing it (as Man of Customs) from 93.

Wow, thanks. I'd really love to listen to Broken China demos with David's voice and guitar on them. It's a pity Broken China did not get attention enough to deserve a new 5.1 mix and some bonus material. Well, Amused to Death maybe deserves it less (musically speaking) and there it is.
I'm thinking aloud while I write but, was it ever tried to start a crowd funding initiative to finance a 5.1 mix? Do you think if we managed to get the funds to support such a project we could get the label's approval?

Wow, thanks. I'd really love to listen to Broken China demos with David's voice and guitar on them. It's a pity Broken China did not get attention enough to deserve a new 5.1 mix and some bonus material. Well, Amused to Death maybe deserves it less (musically speaking) and there it is.
I'm thinking aloud while I write but, was it ever tried to start a crowd funding initiative to finance a 5.1 mix? Do you think if we managed to get the funds to support such a project we could get the label's approval?
Would love to hear that too. Broken China is really a great album. Love the idea about a crowd funding project, great suggestion Cesar!!!!!

Would love to hear that too. Broken China is really a great album. Love the idea about a crowd funding project, great suggestion Cesar!!!!!

Shockingly the idea came to my mind while reading Andy's answer and with Autumn'68 on the background. I don't think the idea should be used to finance projects such as Animals, as the return of the investment should be there and the band has got money enough anyway. For for niche mixes such as Broken China, Ollias of Sunhillow or even David's first record it might work.
Or maybe it's all bsht if we knew the costs behind a proper remix.
Jon, does it deserve a separate thread?

Shockingly the idea came to my mind while reading Andy's answer and with Autumn'68 on the background. I don't think the idea should be used to finance projects such as Animals, as the return of the investment should be there and the band has got money enough anyway. For for niche mixes such as Broken China, Ollias of Sunhillow or even David's first record it might work.
Or maybe it's all bsht if we knew the costs behind a proper remix.
Jon, does it deserve a separate thread?
When we know the cost involved it could be a good idea. Perhaps people on the Floyd forum A Fleeting Glimpse want to contribute as well.

Hi Andy. I was wondering if you could please confirm the date of Rick's Royal Albert Hall recording from 1968? Thanks in advance!

The 'Man of customs' with DG was for Div Bell rather than David singing on demos for 'Broken China'

The crowd sourcing thing. Seems the rec cos don't see any financial viability even in doing 'Animals'. Going back to remix an old album is a lengthy & therefore pricey thing, that's before any other costs. I expect Roger will lose money on ATD 5.1.

Albert hall organ. I don't know, more Vernon territory that sort of thing (69 sometime)

Thanks again for the answer, Andy. Costs apart, another story would be to get the band's and label approval.

Broken China might be easier and cheaper to handle, but Animals could be an interesting experiment and would surely attract more funds to start with. If, for example, XTC's remixes are economically viable without any external funds, I cannot see any monetary reason why a PF related release should not be. Maybe the whole release process for XTC or KC should be compared with what has been done for ATD and look for potential savings. In terms of the final product musical quality, I think XTC or KC releases are comparable to PF ones, aren't they?

things change soon as the band will get the rights back on a whole bunch of stuff. It'll not be EMI (warner now) making the call.

Andy a slightly off topic question but for which you probably know the answer. The Endless River cover looks a lot like Langley again, is it him or a 'stunt double' :)
For those who wonder why I am asking, Langley was on the cover of Momentary Lapse of Reason and in several videos from the Pulse tour amongst other things. He is also the caretaker of Astoria, the houseboat studio on the Thames where much of the post-Roger Floyd tracks were recorded and he is a very talented graphic artist with the Black Strat amongst his credits for book design. I had the pleasure of meeting Langley once, he is a lovely person too.
btw Andy, The Division Bell mix is sublime, my copy of Endless River is still in the post alas

Hello Andy!
Sorry to veer off topic(maybe there should be an "Ask Andy Jackson" thread!), but I just listened to The Endless River in BD (5.1, Excellent BTW!!!),
question...You did use that dbx SubHarmonic device in here too, didn't you?

Hello Andy!
Sorry to veer off topic(maybe there should be an "Ask Andy Jackson" thread!), but I just listened to The Endless River in BD (5.1, Excellent BTW!!!),
question...You did use that dbx SubHarmonic device in here too, didn't you?

No this one is just 'regular' routing of stuff into the sub channel, some of it was the low 'boofs' that Youth provided, so they're pretty low anyway (good boofs they are, difficult thing to get them sounding low & loud without them using up ridiculous amounts of headroom, he seems to have got some good ones there)

Andy - I sent a QQ PM earlier regarding the LFE; if you could reply on that I'd be most grateful! Thanks

From QQ deep space

yeah no comment really, I checked out a bunch of other stuff for LFE level, and it went through mastering (another pair of ears) and while there are times that it goes a bit 'jurassic park-like' I don't think it's out of proportion

While we are talking about Animals....Andy, do you know if there are any live recordings in the vault from the Animals tour that would be suitable for release either in their current form or with some work? I'm sure you know this is the holy grail for many fans!

Back