Pink Floyd/The Division Bell - Ask Andy Jackson about the Mastering and the Mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Ron. I can't understand why people do these things. Just for getting a few more clicks on their websites? I was the first one to believe in this story as it came, as I said before, from a respected journalist (not so respected now)

Pizza delivery?

10665239_738389312883049_881035447644869392_n.jpg

Was there ever any discussion of including your "TBS" in it's entirety as part of the deluxe edition of TES? Also, interested in knowing about the track "Peace Be With You" that was left off AMLOR. Any chance we might get to hear that at some point?

The Big Spliff has too much overlap with TER, in some ways it'd just be putting the demo on, so no it wasn't considered. Peace be with you was never finished, as is the case with much stuff. I suppose it's unusual in the post Waters period inasmuch as it's unfinished but with lyrics.

Hello Andy. I've read in TER credits that you play bass guitar in one of the tracks, can you tell us the story behind this? Did you play on the original demo?

What about Bob ezrin, Jon Carin and Damon Iddins keyboards? Did they participate in the last overdubs?

Thanks a lot!

Myself & Damon were now, just responding to stuff that needed doing. Bob & Jon were in 93. Oddly Jon isn't on much, just the way it goes.

Myself & Damon were now, just responding to stuff that needed doing. Bob & Jon were in 93. Oddly Jon isn't on much, just the way it goes.

It makes sense to me that if David and Nick wanted to emphasize the importance of Rick in the sound of Pink Floyd and make this record as an homage to his contributions, that they would not include much other keyboard work by other musicians.

I use room/speaker correction on my AV set up (yes, my centre doesn't match the front LR) but I lose that on DVD-A, and my amp has the LFE bug for analogue .1 sources. Front speakers can handle the bass, so 5.0 is ideal on DTS/DD, and 4.0 on DVD-A for me, personally.

I am very reluctant to move to BD as I gather the analogue outs can be disabled on releases and I have no idea how many (if any) MCH releases would have this issue, and I certainly don't want to buy another amp too as well as a player!

It makes sense to me that if David and Nick wanted to emphasize the importance of Rick in the sound of Pink Floyd and make this record as an homage to his contributions, that they would not include much other keyboard work by other musicians.

I disagree. They used whatever they could of Ricks tracks and then paid homage to him elsewhere. Case in point, Anisina, in which David plays keyboards in Rick's style.

Let's see... Richard Wright has passed on, the session material is largely 20+ years old and there may not be everything available to make the kind of additional album they wanted to make. Therefore some workarounds or re-workings or additional recordings will be required to achieve the goals. I don't see how it could be done otherwise.

Anisina, in which David plays keyboards in Rick's style.

No, David played it in the style of David. That was done in 93, albeit that he replayed the piano on the recent sessions to get a better sound, as it was an electronic one on the original recording.

Andy, Can you explain what the "click" is during the intro to "Louder Than Words"? Some seem to think it's a click track that couldn't be eliminated during the production.

I would also like to say thank you for taking the time to answer all of our questions on here.

Andy, Can you explain what the "click" is during the intro to "Louder Than Words"? Some seem to think it's a click track that couldn't be eliminated during the production.

I would also like to say thank you for taking the time to answer all of our questions on here.

It's a clock ticking. It's clear to hear before the song starts, clock ticking & church bells. They gradually fade under the song.

Hi Andy.

Thanks for your great mixing work on "The Endless River".

Any particular reason why the bonus tracks "TBS9", "TBS14", and (especially) "Nervana" were not mixed in surround for this release?

Hi Andy.

Thanks for your great mixing work on "The Endless River".

Any particular reason why the bonus tracks "TBS9", "TBS14", and (especially) "Nervana" were not mixed in surround for this release?

TBS9 & 14 were part of the orig Big Spliff mashup (TBS= "the big spliff") and were simply stereo DATs as source. It was never part of the consideration to do any of the bonus stuff in surround as it was pretty much all sourced from stereo sources (DAT or video tape). In fact, Nervana was multitrack but it just wasn't part of the plan.

I disagree. They used whatever they could of Ricks tracks and then paid homage to him elsewhere. Case in point, Anisina, in which David plays keyboards in Rick's style.

No, David played it in the style of David. That was done in 93, albeit that he replayed the piano on the recent sessions to get a better sound, as it was an electronic one on the original recording.

Thanks for the correction, Andy. Its even more apparent watching the video now that the Blu-ray has finally arrived. Another great multichannel mix. Very immersive, discrete, and clean at high volume. Im really enjoying the new album.

Hello Andy,

If I may ask another question, what are the images that can be seen behind the "wheel" in the Bluray menu? The lenticular design is rotating and there are some transparent sectors that let you see different images. Some of the images have got some printed characters as well (looks like the barometer that appears on the booklet)

Thanks a lot once more

Hello Andy,

If I may ask another question, what are the images that can be seen behind the "wheel" in the Bluray menu? The lenticular design is rotating and there are some transparent sectors that let you see different images. Some of the images have got some printed characters as well (looks like the barometer that appears on the booklet)

Thanks a lot once more

your guess is as good as mine on that one. Cover: not my department!

Back