Pink Floyd - The Early Years - 1965 > 1972

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I have a couple of questions.
Does the later run of the big box set have the rot problem? Can you tell them apart? Does the replacement disc have Meddle if I wind up with the early run?
Does the later run of the box set have Meddle? (hidden, I understand).
How many surround albums are in this set? What are they?
Who has the best price?
I read about some of them are distorted, which ones? How bad is it?
Please forgive me if these questions have already been answered, I just didn't want to read through 47 pages of this thread. Up until now, I couldn't afford the set, so it was out of the question, so I never read the thread, but my situation has changed and now I can afford it. It's just a question of is it worth it? Meddle is the one I really want, and I don't even know what it would cost me to get set up to extract it. (imagine paying for that, and it's not there.
The Quadfather

Hi all,

I think this info has not been posted here yet, but beware all Blu-rays inside the Early Years box are subject to degradation that eventually make them unplayable. It starts with some bubbles close to the outer ring, I can provide pictures as my discs are all impacted. In principle this only should affect to discs manufactured in Europe, but this was not confirmed.
There's a replacement programme ongoing that ends in January 2020, read details below. Mine have been shipped today.

In 2016 our attention was drawn to a small batch of Blu-ray discs supplied for ‘The Early Years 1965-1972’, which had been subject to unreported transit damage, causing eventual discolouration and playing issues over time.

Now in 2019, we have been advised that a small quantity of the below discs have been affected:

CAMBRIDGE ST/ATION / 0190295929855 / PFREY1-BD
GERMIN/ATION / EAN 0190295929831 / PFREY2-BD
DRAMATIS/ATION / EAN 0190295929824 / PFREY3-BD
DEVI/ATION EAN 019029529817 / PFREY4-BD
REVERBER/ATION / 0190295929800 / PFREY5-BD
OBFUSC/ATION / EAN 0190295929794 / PFREY6-BD
CONTINU/ATION / EAN 0190295929787 / PFREY7-BD1
CONTINU/ATION / EAN 0190295929787 / PFREY7-BD2

If you have any of the above discs that are experiencing playability issues, please TAKE A PHOTOGRAPH of the condition of the disc (both back and front), state its catalogue number and enclose the photograph with full delivery details, and we will send you a replacement. [email protected].

We will be manufacturing replacement discs on a limited basis based on demand, so please contact us BEFORE JANUARY 01, 2020, in order that your request can be processed. This offer does not affect your statutory rights.
Well I looked at the BDs in my Early Years Box Set, and ALL are showing various levels of degradation (and the Box has been kept away from heat/cold etc.). The least worst are the beginnings of bubbling right on the outer top edge the worst are delamination like areas. Not a good sign for a Box Set that cost me £379 back in November 2016, especially after the problems with my Immersion sets, it doesn't bode well for the Later Years Box Set - unless the delay is down to them remaking every BD! :mad::poop:
So photos taken, now for the email!

Does the later run of the big box set have the rot problem? Can you tell them apart? Does the replacement disc have Meddle if I wind up with the early run?
Who has the best price?
Please forgive me if these questions have already been answered, I just didn't want to read through 47 pages of this thread. Up until now, I couldn't afford the set, so it was out of the question, so I never read the thread, but my situation has changed and now I can afford it. It's just a question of is it worth it? Meddle is the one I really want, and I don't even know what it would cost me to get set up to extract it. (imagine paying for that, and it's not there.
The Quadfather
It was removed from the individual sets that were sold and so it'll be missing from the replacements from the big set :(

Who has the best price?
The Quadfather
Can you play FLAC from a USB drive?

Well I looked at the BDs in my Early Years Box Set, and ALL are showing various levels of degradation (and the Box has been kept away from heat/cold etc.). The least worst are the beginnings of bubbling right on the outer top edge the worst are delamination like areas. Not a good sign for a Box Set that cost me £379 back in November 2016, especially after the problems with my Immersion sets, it doesn't bode well for the Later Years Box Set - unless the delay is down to them remaking every BD! :mad::poop:
So photos taken, now for the email!
Well yesterday I photographed them and asked for all new BDs (they are going to fail at some point), and today I have had an email saying I will get a dispatch notice soon so a (y) for service from WMG but a (n) to the manufacturer for sh*t quality control :mad:

Well yesterday I photographed them and asked for all new BDs (they are going to fail at some point), and today I have had an email saying I will get a dispatch notice soon so a (y) for service from WMG but a (n) to the manufacturer for sh*t quality control :mad:
And just now an email saying all 9 replacement BDs have been dispatched (y) :) .....................… but undoubtedly without Meddle in 5.1 :(

And just now an email saying all 9 replacement BDs have been dispatched (y) :) .....................… but undoubtedly without Meddle in 5.1 :(

That doesn't bode well for the future of these ridiculously pricey box sets. I recently purchased a UHD4K of Scarface and noticed the 4K disc had a distinct bubble on the outer playing side's surface and immediately contacted Bullmoose who sent me a replacement. Checked the replacement and it was fine.

What's Going On???????

I checked mine last weekend and saw no signs of failure. I wonder if I could still get replacements. Would photos just showing that I own them be enough?

I checked mine last weekend and saw no signs of failure. I wonder if I could still get replacements. Would photos just showing that I own them be enough?
Yes, they are not asking for any proof of purchase, unless you are in the US. Only boxes purchased thru European sellers are subject to replacement, AFAIK

That doesn't bode well for the future of these ridiculously pricey box sets. I recently purchased a UHD4K of Scarface and noticed the 4K disc had a distinct bubble on the outer playing side's surface and immediately contacted Bullmoose who sent me a replacement. Checked the replacement and it was fine.

What's Going On???????
When I get back from my business trip I'm going to check all my Blu-Ray discs - the Pink Floyd ones were all manufactured by Optimal Media Gmbh
This is what the worst one looked like!
PFREY2-BD_Back (2).jpg

I made contact, sent photos off all 8 discs in the box set and my Amazon.US receipt and received a reply that they would send replacements for all the discs except Cambridge station. That was November 14. Received 7 discs today. I wonder why they did not offer the 1st disc but am happy anyway. Anyone having issues with the 1st disc, Cambridge station?

Last edited:
I made contact, sent photos off all 8 discs in the box set and my Amazon.US receipt and received a reply that they would send replacements for all the discs except Cambridge station. That was November 14. Received 7 discs today. I wonder why they did not offer the 1st disc but am happy anyway. Anyone having issues with the 1st disc, Cambridge station?
Not sure why that was I got a replacement for Cambridge station

Back