Pink Floyd - The Later Years (1987-2019) [CD/DVD/Blu-Ray Box Set]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The drums are a nice addition but it's Rick's Hammond that really does it for me! One Slip is one of my least favorite tracks on AMLOR but I'm really excited about the new mix after hearing this. Gotta be great in 5.1!

Release date delayed until December 13th for a possible Black Friday deal.

The drums are a nice addition but it's Rick's Hammond that really does it for me! One Slip is one of my least favorite tracks on AMLOR but I'm really excited about the new mix after hearing this. Gotta be great in 5.1!

I agree, the hammond is the highlight, Rick's playing fits the song. The drums sound better, but I would have liked a little more.

EDIT - on headphones I liked it much better - I'll try it on the main system later when I can play things at proper listening volume.

I agree with you. Looking forward to hearing this new mix. Roger Waters should do the same exercise with Radio KAOS that one also sounded way better live than on the studio version

As a drummer who's listened to this album many times since I was 17 years old, 32 years ago, it's really weird hearing a different drum performance on this. Not the mix, the actual performance. There are little fills and flourishes that are just completely missing on this now. There's a little 'badap-bap!' snare fill that occurs many times at the end of a phrase that's just completely gone now on this new version. Seems much more stripped down, performance-wise on this new one. It's also hard to judge how it will sound in surround from a youtube lossy stereo rip too I'm sure.

There are certain aspects from the new one I like, such as Rick's Hammond, and much more full bottom end, especially on the kick drum, but it also sounds slightly more muffled overall. Also just noticed that when it comes back into the verse, originally it was a fade in effect. Now, Nick goes 'Pow!' on the snare drum right before the verse.

I'm sure it's going to bother me a lot more than most, as I've played drums along to this album many times over the years, and now the parts I know like the back of my hand are wrong. It just seems really strange to me to have 75 year old Nick Mason go back and change the drum part from an album that came out 32 years ago.

I really like the sound! I too hope this is made available apart from this stupid expensive box set.

Reactions: GOS
My 2 cents:
1. I'm not a fan of tinkering with things unnecessarily - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
2. I dig AMLOR. It was done in the 80's and that's how it sounds.
3. Part of me thinks, "What, are we gonna get a 90's house mix of The Wall next cos the original was too 70's?".
4. Another part thinks, "They can do what they want cos it's theirs - if you don't like it, don't buy it", which is how it should be.
5. Bottom line: I like the original way more but it's cool how there will be 2 official versions out there. You know how it goes though - if the surround mix eventually gets a stand-alone release and the price is right, I'll probably pick it up.

My 2 cents:
1. I'm not a fan of tinkering with things unnecessarily - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
2. I dig AMLOR. It was done in the 80's and that's how it sounds.
3. Part of me thinks, "What, are we gonna get a 90's house mix of The Wall next cos the original was too 70's?".
4. Another part thinks, "They can do what they want cos it's theirs - if you don't like it, don't buy it", which is how it should be.
5. Bottom line: I like the original way more but it's cool how there will be 2 official versions out there. You know how it goes though - if the surround mix eventually gets a stand-alone release and the price is right, I'll probably pick it up.

Agree, Tim but doubtful we'll ever get a 'reimagining' of THE WALL since those multitrack tapes are in deplorable condition. Lucky if we [finally] get a 5.1 remix of the original.

IMO, with the digital tools available today [NOT to mention tomorrow] almost every album ever made could be 'manipulated' to sound better and more contemporary but with all the negative rigamarole within the PF factions, depending on who oversees the remix, we might have to likewise suffer the indignities by bandmates who want their 'parts' to shine above the others which might just devolve into an 'imbalanced' MESS!

Last edited:
I agree with you. Looking forward to hearing this new mix. Roger Waters should do the same exercise with Radio KAOS that one also sounded way better live than on the studio version
I never seem to hear anything about Roger Water’s Radio KAOS. I saw that tour in 87 in Atlanta. I thought it was a great show. He put a telephone booth down on the floor so audience members could ask him questions during intermission, while he sat in an easy chair drinking a glass of wine. (A month later, I got to see Pink Floyd‘s Momentary Lapse In Reason tour!) I thought that Radio KAOS was an outstanding studio recording when it came out. The sound quality made me think they must have used some new, modern technology to record/master it.
Now, with that said, live was in surround sound!!!

OK, so here's the deal with me. When this album came out (and I immediately bought it), I was partying as hard as you can possible party. So, I really do not have lots of memory about detail on this one as far as drum roll here, synth there, etc. I only know that it holds a spot in my heart that I can't deny. So, being able to hear this album in better detail, and 5.1 will be an amazing moment. I cannot wait honestly. Yeah, yeah, I know. $300 is a lot of money. But hell......I spend that on 2 tickets to concerts all the time. I mean, what's the difference? Money is money.....if I don't spend it here.....I'll throw it away there.

OK, so here's the deal with me. When this album came out (and I immediately bought it), I was partying as hard as you can possible party. So, I really do not have lots of memory about detail on this one as far as drum roll here, synth there, etc. I only know that it holds a spot in my heart that I can't deny. So, being able to hear this album in better detail, and 5.1 will be an amazing moment. I cannot wait honestly. Yeah, yeah, I know. $300 is a lot of money. But hell......I spend that on 2 tickets to concerts all the time. I mean, what's the difference? Money is money.....if I don't spend it here.....I'll throw it away there.
I’m with you on this one GOS, but my partying as hard as I possibly could days had passed by the time A Momentary Lapse came out (then it was partying within reason...).
I was already a big Tony Levin fan and when I saw he was playing bass on this album I couldn’t think of a better bass player to join in with Floyd and their electric spacey synthesizer sound! Yeah, this album holds a special place for me too... My wife was very pregnant with our youngest daughter for the Roger Water’s Radio KAOS concert in Oct 87 and we had tickets for this Floyd concert in Nov. Unfortunately, our daughter decided to arrive several weeks early. My wife and new daughter were in the hospital and doing well. My sweet wife insisted I should go on to the concert and give her ticket to one of our close friends - so I did get to see Pink Floyd in concert for the first time! It was a shame that my wife and daughter missed it though...
I’m very excited to get to hear AMLOR in 5.1..., and the concert videos, etc. If you love Pink Floyd and can afford it, I say buy it and be grateful we get these releases![/QUOTE]

Last edited:
I never seem to hear anything about Roger Water’s Radio KAOS. I saw that tour in 87 in Atlanta. I thought it was a great show. He put a telephone booth down on the floor so audience members could ask him questions during intermission, while he sat in an easy chair drinking a glass of wine. (A month later, I got to see Pink Floyd‘s Momentary Lapse In Reason tour!) I thought that Radio KAOS was an outstanding studio recording when it came out. The sound quality made me think they must have used some new, modern technology to record/master it.
Now, with that said, live was in surround sound!!!

I haven't listened to Radio Kaos for quite a few years, but, at the time, I made a cassette with Kaos on one side and Momentary Lapse on the other, and it got a lot of play in our car for years. We also got to see both tours in Canada and loved them both. I'd love to buy a modest surround edition of KAOS like the Amused to Death edition. There's lots of sound density through the album to spread around the room, and I think surround would make the storyline more theatrical and involving.

Got an email with an update to my preorder noting that The Later Years boxset release date has been push back to December 13th.

“Our suppliers have contacted us in regards to this item and unfortunately they have advised that the release date for this title has now been pushed back.

This item is now set for release December 13th.Please note that this date may also be subject to change.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused.”

:cautious:

Somewhat off-topic here, but your mention of "One Slip", which was co-written with Phil Manzanera, makes me curious if you know anything about why Gilmour and Manzanera apparently had a falling out. Or at the very least why Manzanera suddenly left Gilmour's band without any reason given.

Somewhat off-topic here, but your mention of "One Slip", which was co-written with Phil Manzanera, makes me curious if you know anything about why Gilmour and Manzanera apparently had a falling out. Or at the very least why Manzanera suddenly left Gilmour's band without any reason given.
I don't know anything about a falling out. IIRC, Gilmour simply wanted to make some personnel changes.

Back