Porcupine Tree 5.1 remasters - Deadwing / In Absentia - getting nearer?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought he had said he will complete the xtc series tapes permitting.

That’s correct, but as many know, the tape situation is not good right now.
They still need to find all the tapes for “English Settlement”, “Mummer”, and “The Big Express”, and I know they have searched for two of those us, and they still have come up empty.
Plus, we all need all of the Dukes stuff in surround sound too!

:)

There won't be any surround mixes for anything pre Stupid Dream from Porcupine Tree. If I remember correctly, SW himself mentioned in an article/interview somewhere that those earlier albums were not recorded in a way where sounds could easily be isolated for mixing. I don't think they were properly multitracked as he was working on a tight budget still. I would think the same for very early No-man stuff too.

That’s correct, however, both Steven and Tim Bowness have expressed a desire to have “Returning Jesus” (2001 no-man album) mixed in 5.1 Surround. I don’t know why they didn’t do that last year when it was finally reissued via Kscope.
Maybe one day they will put together a nice retrospective box set for no-man and include all the 5.1 mixes on Blu-Ray, including a new 5.1 mix for “Returning Jesus”.

That’s correct, however, both Steven and Tim Bowness have expressed a desire to have “Returning Jesus” (2001 no-man album) mixed in 5.1 Surround. I don’t know why they didn’t do that last year when it was finally reissued via Kscope.

I'd guess it's because quite a few of those songs were recorded (and at least one of them released) in the 90's

Uhhh... Why would that matter? Music from nearly the complete history of multitrack recording has been mixed or remixed in surround sound, including '90s albums.

It matters because back in the early 90s, SW was recording on his own home equipment. I'm not sure if that applies to No-Man but I know it does for PT. I'm not sure on the specifics but I think it may have been on a 4 track machine. SW has stated that albums pre Signify can't be mixed properly into multichannel because of this.

I live in hope that Steven will also continue doing mixes for Tears For Fears. At one point a few years ago he said in an interview that he would be remixing their "catalog". A vague statement I know, but it would be wonderful. Paul Sinclair also mentioned a while back that despite Universal not having yet released the Seeds of Love box set, that work was already underway for an Elemental box set. I'd love to hear an SW 5.1 mix for that.

The mix has actually been completed, according to his Facebook page. The problem is that Tears for Fears haven't released it yet.

It matters because back in the early 90s, SW was recording on his own home equipment. I'm not sure if that applies to No-Man but I know it does for PT. I'm not sure on the specifics but I think it may have been on a 4 track machine. SW has stated that albums pre Signify can't be mixed properly into multichannel because of this.

Does this mean that Signify could be done? I would be pretty stoked with that.

Does this mean that Signify could be done? I would be pretty stoked with that.

I would be extremely excited about Signify in 5.1 too. It is hard to pick a favorite PT album, but this one is top 3 for me.

I do recall the article Simon_LDT talked about, where SW said there were limitations with those earlier PT recordings that prevented him from doing a proper 5.1 mix. I think it really comes down to how interested SW is in remixing it, and whether or not he thinks it is possible to do a GOOD 5.1 mix. Even if it was only a 4 track recording, it is certainly still possible to do some sort of 5.1 mix. But if SW doesn't think it would be a good/proper mix with those limitations, then it won't happen. Unfortunately, I believe that is the case for all early PT albums, including Signify. I would love to be wrong though...

Ever since the Vinyl remasters were released in 2017, about once I month I've been checking the release list on QQ, hoping to see In Absentia and Deadwing listed among the upcoming 5.1 releases. And about once a month I slink sadly away.

Does anyone have any news about the In Absentia and Deadwing 5.1 remasters? ARE THESE DANG THINGS EVER GOING TO BE RELEASED?

Ever since the Vinyl remasters were released in 2017, about once I month I've been checking the release list on QQ, hoping to see In Absentia and Deadwing listed among the upcoming 5.1 releases. And about once a month I slink sadly away.

Does anyone have any news about the In Absentia and Deadwing 5.1 remasters? ARE THESE DANG THINGS EVER GOING TO BE RELEASED?

Yes, Steven Wilson says that a 4-disc deluxe edition of "In Absentia" will be released later this year:

Back