Porcupine Tree 5.1 remasters - Deadwing / In Absentia - getting nearer?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh my, I missed that IG post. That is exciting! Do we think it's possible there could be two 5.1 mixes on a Blu-ray Disc? ES' original and new SW mix? Very much looking forward to a super dynamic stereo mix as well.

Oh my, I missed that IG post. That is exciting! Do we think it's possible there could be two 5.1 mixes on a Blu-ray Disc? ES' original and new SW mix? Very much looking forward to a super dynamic stereo mix as well.

There were no plans for a new surround mix, but the original surround mix will be the corrected version.

There were no plans for a new surround mix, but the original surround mix will be the corrected version.

Will it be remastered as well? Love Scheiner's mixes of In Absentia and Deadwing, but they're mastered very loud. Especially in comparison to SW's mixes of Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun, and others.

I'd be good with a new mastering of the stereo mix.

I'm pretty sure Steven has said he thinks the master of the surround mix is good and it is around DR11 or so, although I've not extracted just the fronts to see what the measured DR is when removing the surround channels as sometimes that can have a massive difference in how the DR score is calculated. The 5.1 mix of that Radiohead Live in the Basement for example measures around 8-9 most tracks, but look just at the fronts and it's DR5.

I'm pretty sure Steven has said he thinks the master of the surround mix is good ...

I've been waiting for this new package because my understanding from others has been that the original 5.1 surround mix had a major problem with the subwoofer track being accidentally flipped in phase. This caused a problem with bass reproduction. I am simply assuming that Mr. Wilson has addressed this problem in the new 5.1 audio in the new package.

I believe Plan9 has confirmed it will be corrected, I was referring specifically to the dynamics.

Ah, okay, that is good news! And of course good news about dynamics. I remember reading how people thought the original stereo master was too squashed and limited, so it seems the 5.1 will be fully dynamic... 11 dB of dynamic range is very good by today's standards! Thanks. Can't wait to hear In Absentia is full surround with full dynamic impact (especially on Gavin's drums).

By the way, I am new to the group here... Can someone give me a tip regarding what the best web location is to keep an eye on to learn when and where the new In Absentia package is available?

By the way, I am new to the group here... Can someone give me a tip regarding what the best web location is to keep an eye on to learn when and where the new In Absentia package is available?
My best guess, if you're talking about a seller...would be Burning Shed as Wilson's music is sold there. Not the only place, but a good place to look.
Otherwise, just keep coming back here.....I guarantee with all their fans on this forum, it will get posted asap.

And, welcome!
Thanks, your info and welcome are both hugely appreciated. I just recently signed up for Burning Shed's newsletter, so hopefully that will alert me, and watching this forum. I've been on a mission in the last year or two to acquire 5.1 remixes of many of my fave albums (many of them 70s prog, and many of them remixed by Wilson). So this forum has been very useful to me. Just took a while to get around to joining!

I ordered two batches (2 in one, 4 in the other) and both were acknowledged but no shipping notice. No worries, I trust 'em.

(For the record: 1) Sextant / Guess Who II, and 2) Musicmagic / Bird / Rubenstein Beethoveen Concertos 1 & 2 (I have 3 & 4 already) / Rosza conducts Rosza)

I'd be good with a new mastering of the stereo mix.

I'm pretty sure Steven has said he thinks the master of the surround mix is good and it is around DR11 or so, although I've not extracted just the fronts to see what the measured DR is when removing the surround channels as sometimes that can have a massive difference in how the DR score is calculated. The 5.1 mix of that Radiohead Live in the Basement for example measures around 8-9 most tracks, but look just at the fronts and it's DR5.
Can you give a few more details on the 5.1 release of Radiohead "Live in the Basement"? The version I have is from iTunes and is only stereo. How is the 5.1 mix? Is it available in a disc format? Any info would be appreciated :)

Can you give a few more details on the 5.1 release of Radiohead "Live in the Basement"? The version I have is from iTunes and is only stereo. How is the 5.1 mix? Is it available in a disc format? Any info would be appreciated :)

I think the 5.1 mix is decent even tho it’s loud, it’s also very cool to watch them playing. Don’t know how limited it was or if it’s OOP but it was 1080i50, I ordered mine from Amazon UK. My old Samsung BD player, Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD, Sony UHD X800 and Panasonic DMP-BD94 all convert 50>60 on the fly so I had no issues with playback. I think the PS3 would have issues if it’s a NA model.

This one - https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Radiohead-The-King-of-Limbs-Live-from-The-Basement-Blu-ray/34687/

Last I heard, no remastering for the surround mix... but plans might change, maybe.

I would love for the mixes to be remastered by Wilson himself. I actually thought this was going to be the case with the upcoming deluxe editions, which is the main reason for my debilitating excitement!

I would love for the mixes to be remastered by Wilson himself.
I think that is not Steven's "Mode of Operandus". He makes a mix in a way mastering is not required. I guess he doesn't think the surround mix needs to be redone. And the surround mastering by Darcy Proper is quite adequate.

Back