DTS-CD Problems playing and ripping a DTS-CD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audioguy

Just purchased Sting's "Nothing Like The Sun" DTS-CD (Not DVD) over the weekend. The cover states "Requires a DTS-Capable Playback System" - so it's not dual layered; it only contains DTS. My Oppo 105 plays the disc perfectly in multichannel (44.1 Khz). But I can't play it on my computer. Both Jriver and Foobar play "white noise", meaning they're not reading it as a DTS disc.

I have installed the DTS plug-in for Foobar. I have other DTS files that play perfectly on both Foobar and Jriver. I have successfully ripped Monster 24bit 96Khz DTS files (from DVD) and store them as .dts files on my computer (not converted to FLAC) and they play perfectly.

My goal is to rip the dts files for my music server. I don't even need it converted to flac, .dts is fine. I have ripped the disc using both EAC and Foobar (WAV format), and they both resulted in the exact same file sizes, but they also generate white noise. Since the disc itself it generating white noise, it makes sense that the resulting WAV files also generate white noise.

MediaInfo read the resulting WAV files which were ripped as DTS files - 24bit and 6 channels. So I'm really confused as to why MediaInfo recognizes these as DTS, but both Foobar and Jriver don't.

I just want to rip a .dts file so I can load it on my music server and put the disc in storage. Any advice is appreciated!

PS - I do have AudioMuxer, but for some reason the DTSWav to DTS option (under Audio Conversion) is greyed out. So I haven't been able to test with that feature.

Just purchased Sting's "Nothing Like The Sun" DTS-CD (Not DVD) over the weekend. The cover states "Requires a DTS-Capable Playback System" - so it's not dual layered; it only contains DTS. My Oppo 105 plays the disc perfectly in multichannel (44.1 Khz). But I can't play it on my computer. Both Jriver and Foobar play "white noise", meaning they're not reading it as a DTS disc.

I have installed the DTS plug-in for Foobar. I have other DTS files that play perfectly on both Foobar and Jriver. I have successfully ripped Monster 24bit 96Khz DTS files (from DVD) and store them as .dts files on my computer (not converted to FLAC) and they play perfectly.

My goal is to rip the dts files for my music server. I don't even need it converted to flac, .dts is fine. I have ripped the disc using both EAC and Foobar (WAV format), and they both resulted in the exact same file sizes, but they also generate white noise. Since the disc itself it generating white noise, it makes sense that the resulting WAV files also generate white noise.

MediaInfo read the resulting WAV files which were ripped as DTS files - 24bit and 6 channels. So I'm really confused as to why MediaInfo recognizes these as DTS, but both Foobar and Jriver don't.

I just want to rip a .dts file so I can load it on my music server and put the disc in storage. Any advice is appreciated!

PS - I do have AudioMuxer, but for some reason the DTSWav to DTS option (under Audio Conversion) is greyed out. So I haven't been able to test with that feature.

Foobar seems to have problems with dts files sometimes, that's why I convert dts files to flac. Have you tried VLC Player?

Foobar seems to have problems with dts files sometimes, that's why I convert dts files to flac. Have you tried VLC Player?

VLC plays back all my DTS CD>DTS WAV's no problem (I can't remember how I did them now, stripped out the DTS CDs in DVD Audio Extractor I think, it was a while ago and that may be totally wrong so please don't take it as anything other than ruminations from a cyber cow.. moo.. :eek: )

I am having a variation on the theme of the problem however trying to get DTS WAV's to convert to FLAC or something else so I can scrutinise the individual stems of the 4- and 5.1-channel mixes in Audacity (in Audacity they just load up as 2 x big old chunky blocks of white noise!) I think I may have got a solution from some of you guys on here recently but so mega preoccupied with SQ I can think/do virtually nothing else but at the minute.. :eek:

VLC plays back all my DTS CD>DTS WAV's no problem (I can't remember how I did them now, stripped out the DTS CDs in DVD Audio Extractor I think, it was a while ago and that may be totally wrong so please don't take it as anything other than ruminations from a cyber cow.. moo.. :eek: )

I am having a variation on the theme of the problem however trying to get DTS WAV's to convert to FLAC or something else so I can scrutinise the individual stems of the 4- and 5.1-channel mixes in Audacity (in Audacity they just load up as 2 x big old chunky blocks of white noise!) I think I may have got a solution from some of you guys on here recently but so mega preoccupied with SQ I can think/do virtually nothing else but at the minute.. :eek:

The funny thing is that I convert dts (wav) files to (multichannel) flac with Foobar :yikes without problems.

These are the dts encoders I have installed and audiomuxer works for me:

dts encoders.jpg

Just installed VLC Player. VLC plays some garbled audio from the DTS-CD and it's WAV file (which I created using EAC). I've never had any problems with Foobar and DTS in the past. This is the first disc I've encountered issues. I would go as far as saying maybe the Disc is defective, but it plays fine in my Oppo.

DVD Audio Extractor doesn't work on DTS-CD. I believe it only works with DVD/Blu-Ray. I already tried it and it doesn't recognize the disc.

The funny thing is that I convert dts (wav) files to (multichannel) flac with Foobar :yikes without problems.

Yes, but that's when Foobar has recognized the disc/file as dts. Once it recognizes it, I've used it to convert to FLAC as well. The problem is that Foobar, Jriver, and VLC won't recognize it as DTS. Not sure what else to try.

Just installed VLC Player. VLC plays some garbled audio from the DTS-CD and it's WAV file (which I created using EAC). I've never had any problems with Foobar and DTS in the past. This is the first disc I've encountered issues. I would go as far as saying maybe the Disc is defective, but it plays fine in my Oppo.

DVD Audio Extractor doesn't work on DTS-CD. I believe it only works with DVD/Blu-Ray. I already tried it and it doesn't recognize the disc.

Yes, but that's when Foobar has recognized the disc/file as dts. Once it recognizes it, I've used it to convert to FLAC as well. The problem is that Foobar, Jriver, and VLC won't recognize it as DTS. Not sure what else to try.

Sorry for the bum steer on DVDAE and VLC, must've been DTS DVD-V I did in DVDAE and not DTS CD.. like I said it was a while back and my memory is hazy at best.. but DTS WAVs should play back ok in VLC.

I will play around with my Sting/Nothing Like The Sun DTS CD and see how it works out with whatever software I throw it at.

Now that you mention all this, I do remember ripping some DTS CDs, somehow and they worked for the most part BUT the first track was screwed up..
Dave Grusin/Two For The Road was one no matter what/how I did it track 1, the best thing on it, just wouldn't rip, I don't know if it was faulty pressing or some copy protection they used on it back in the day? Lemme have a play and get back to you, unless someone here more tech savvy can suss it first (there's lots of people here way more brainy than me! :eek: )

JanBakker, I have audimuxer version 9.6.0. When I hit the "DTS Test" button, I get "no compatible DTS Decoder found". I may have to install ArcSoft. Did you install any DTS decoders?

And I just replied to your PM. Thanks.

I don't know if you tried renaming the .wav file extension to .dts, that has worked for me

I don't know if you tried renaming the .wav file extension to .dts, that has worked for me

Tried that too. Didn't work.

I'll have to install ArcSoft later this evening and see if Audimuxer can work it's magic.

Just another quick update. I was using Foobar's DTS plugin version 4.3. I rolled it back to 3.3. When I play the disc, now I get music, but it's like triple the speed. I guess it's better than the white noise I was getting with 4.3, but still far from listenable!

And with DTS 3.3, Foobar now sees 6 channels instead of 2 with version 4.3.

Need to leave now, but will do more tests this evening. I really appreciate everyone's input!

Well, I've been testing various things for the past few hours and I'm officially completely stomped. If anyone has any thoughts on what else to try, I'm all ears.

Just another quick update. I was using Foobar's DTS plugin version 4.3. I rolled it back to 3.3. When I play the disc, now I get music, but it's like triple the speed. I guess it's better than the white noise I was getting with 4.3, but still far from listenable!

foobar's DTS plugin decodes the DTS file before output. Are you sure that's what you want? You're probably better off sending the raw bitstream to the AVR (aka, passthrough mode))

To do that you need to remove/deactivate the DTS plugin, and install these plugins

foo_spdif
foo_out_wasapi

you also need a SPDIF or HDMI connection between your computer and AVR (and of course your AVR needs to be able to decode DTS).

you also need to set f2k's volume slider to MAXIMUM, and disable any DSP (including replaygain) -- this is so the bitstream remains unchanged at output

you also need to select the WASAPI output method in Preference--->Playback-->Output

My office computer doesn't have an outboard DAC - it uses the computer's souncard, so software (Foobar/Jriver) has to decode. At my audio system, I still prefer software to do the decoding as my Oppo 105 can't decode DTS-MA or Dolby Tru-HD through it's HDMI inputs (but I believe it can do regular DTS).

PS - My mini computer at my audio system doesn't even have an optical drive (I'd use my Oppo if I need to play a disc). It relies on a file server. I'm having problems ripping this one disc properly, so the files are corrupt and I don't believe would play either way on my audio system.

I'm not sure I understand -- you are playing/listening entirely via computer soundcard -- a computer connected directly to speakers -- there is no AVR?

If so, sure, you have to do the decoding in-box.

I have a file/music server for my home. While I'm in my home office, my music is played directly from a computer's sound card output going to powered speakers. So Foobar/Jriver need to decode everything (DSD, DTS, etc).

When I'm in the living room (where I have my audio system), my HTPC's HDMI output goes into my Oppo's HDMI input (Oppo is the DAC). Oppo's HDMI input cannot decode DSD or DTS-MA, so Foobar (installed on my HTPC) also does the decoding and feeds PCM to the Oppo.

The problem here is properly ripping this one DTS-CD so I can put it on my file server. It doesn't matter if the ripped output is in DTS, WAV, or FLAC (although I prefer DTS due to it's reduced file size and there is no lossy to lossless transcode). I just can't rip this DTS-CD properly. The problem isn't my DTS decoder in Foobar. I have plenty of other DTS files which decode perfectly through Foobar and Jriver. But no matter how I try to rip this DTS-CD, the resulting file (DTS and WAV) only produce white noise when played back. Something in the headers is probably getting messed up!

So far, I have tried EAC, Foobar, Jriver, and dbpoweramp for ripping and I can't play the resulting files. Heck, I can't even play this CD directly from my computer using any software (I mean not ripping, just trying to play the CD). This is why I'm stomped!

I have a file/music server for my home. While I'm in my home office, my music is played directly from a computer's sound card output going to powered speakers. So Foobar/Jriver need to decode everything (DSD, DTS, etc).

When I'm in the living room (where I have my audio system), my HTPC's HDMI output goes into my Oppo's HDMI input (Oppo is the DAC). Oppo's HDMI input cannot decode DSD or DTS-MA, so Foobar (installed on my HTPC) also does the decoding and feeds PCM to the Oppo.

I assume your home AVR doesn't decode them either...

The problem here is properly ripping this one DTS-CD so I can put it on my file server. It doesn't matter if the ripped output is in DTS, WAV, or FLAC (although I prefer DTS due to it's reduced file size and there is no lossy to lossless transcode). I just can't rip this DTS-CD properly. The problem isn't my DTS decoder in Foobar. I have plenty of other DTS files which decode perfectly through Foobar and Jriver. But no matter how I try to rip this DTS-CD, the resulting file (DTS and WAV) only produce white noise when played back. Something in the headers is probably getting messed up!

DTS-->DTSWAV is only minor filesize increase (because of the added wav wrapper data). FLAC itself doesn't increase the filesize and neither step affects sound quality. Tagging the FLAC file will make another tiny increase in filesize, unless you like to add huge artwork as metadata.

So far, I have tried EAC, Foobar, Jriver, and dbpoweramp for ripping and I can't play the resulting files. Heck, I can't even play this CD directly from my computer using any software (I mean not ripping, just trying to play the CD). This is why I'm stomped!

Can you post a single ripped track somewhere for inspection?

Back