Prog album in 5.1 you may not know about: AINULINDALE NEVRAST! (DTS DVD-V)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for finding them, I've ordered it. I'm always looking out for new music especially Prog Rock and its in 5.1!

Thanks for this - listening now on Youtube. Very pleasant.

I'm keen to find out more about the DVD format once your copies arrive. I also asked on the Youtube promo clip.

The artist behind Ainulindalë has confirmed the disc is an NTSC DVD-Video with still images to illustrate the songs featuring the album in 5.1 DTS and AC-3 streams.

Sounds good to me. Far more enjoyable than No Man.

Here's the full album here: http://youtu.be/Fx_PWhlMkKg

It sounds nice but I wouldn't call it a Prog album. I think Prog is Rock music influenced by Jazz and/or Classical with complex arrangements, time signatures, or tempos, perhaps multiple themes mashed together.
This sounds more like Medieval folk music. Perfect for a Renaissance Festival.
I am not disparaging it, these are pleasant songs.

Hey,

Thanks for flagging this! I am curious to hear about the mix from those who have ordered. The arrangements are somewhat sparse at times, so I am curious to know if the surround is effectively used. Thanks!

Hi everybody,

I'm Thomas from Ainulindalë. I wrote and recorded this album. As a sound engineer, I'm really interested in 5.1 (or quad) mixes, so that's why I decided to release Nevrast with a bonus 5.1 DTS and AC3 DVD.

I really enjoy Pink Floyd and Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree 5.1 mixes so they were some sort of comparison point for my 5.1 mix.

I'm extremely happy to read that some people are interested in the 5.1 mix, most people have only been listening to the standard CD so far so I'll be pleased to have some feedback on the 5.1 mix.

It's a completely different mix and master from the CD, The EQ are mostly similar (except that there is a special bass treatment on the sub of course) but all reverb, delay, chorus etc... are specially 5.1 designed. And the mastering is much less compressed than the CD, which allows you to use your sound system (which is good because you're into listening to good quality music) to its best.

As Fourplay says, the arrangements are sometimes sparse but if you take a guitar/voice only part for example, there are many chances that the reverb of the voice would be sent to the back speakers and some of the guitar delay as well. And then when the violins, choir etc... come in, they all cover the 5.1 spectrum for a complete immersion experience.

The music is definitely no Prog-Rock, it's more calm folk music based on guitar, voice and classical instruments.

Thanks again to everyone who already ordered the album, the CDs have been dispatched on monday and let me know if you have any question, I'll be extremely happy to answer them.

Thomas

Thomas, thankyou for your post and welcome to QQ, as soon as you said that Pink Floyd\Steven Wilson mixes were your reference point you have me sold, I have ordered the disk.
I was surprised that on ordering it did not ask extra for shipping all the way to Canada.
Look forward to hearing this.

p.s.
As most people here that are huge surround fans I am also a huge fan of Dvda's due to that there is no extra fuss to be able to play them in the car and home and lossless surround on same disk. Hope you consider that for your next release, not that Neil Wilkes from here needs more work but he is our resident expert of all things Dvda and has authored most Steven Wilson projects that have shown up on Dvda, you might want to get in touch with him.

peter

Hey Thomas,

Thanks for commenting and thanks for your interest in surround sound! I am looking forward to the assessments of my friends here who have ordered the disc. I am a fan of active use of the rears. I am glad you are making a few extra sales to honor your extra effort. Good luck!

Back