Qobuz. $14.99 per month

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Howdy folks. For you streamers. Qobuz currently has a deal for hi-Rez streaming and offline use for $14.99 per month or $149.99 for a year. I just switched fromTIDAL to Qobuz. I am now not limited to the 96/24 cap with my non-MQA stuff. I get full 192/24. It’s only for the first 100,000 subscribers. I opted for the year plan. That’s $12.50 per month vs. TIDALs $19.99.

Howdy folks. For you streamers. Qobuz currently has a deal for hi-Rez streaming and offline use for $14.99 per month or $149.99 for a year. I just switched fromTIDAL to Qobuz. I am now not limited to the 96/24 cap with my non-MQA stuff. I get full 192/24. It’s only for the first 100,000 subscribers. I opted for the year plan. That’s $12.50 per month vs. TIDALs $19.99.

I just signed up for MQA and will shortly be taking delivery of my all Meridian system [BTW, Meridian who invented MQA no longer owns it]. Thanks for the tip on Qobuz, Bob.

Interview with Dan Mackta, managing director of Qobuz USA.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marksp...lks-about-the-music-streaming-business-today/
I have not experienced Qobuz; but I've always read good things about the quality of this service/music and am considering it. I need more research on it's use and what gear is needed to access and benefit from the higher resolutions.

For about $25 a month, (paid yearly- which plan I believe includes download) this may be well worth it; but wouldn't it be great if R2R and other Quad recordings, like Bill Brent is streaming could eventually be included. Those tapes aren't getting any better (if not burned up), and would be a real tragedy for them to fade into a mere memory. It's like loosing fine art to me. Even at a 24/48 resolution, broadcast as QR encoded they would sound fabulous IMO. Michael Dutton is obviously paddling like a mad Duck working to get these treasures out as fast as he can. However, if we could catch a break and gain a sliver of foothold on a platform like this sort of service, it would greatly enhance the overall exposure for surround music. It should be extra revenue for the labels, but they just don't seem to have the vision for this.

I am concerned that in the above interview he admits it's a thin margin business; so us user must pony up and take advantage of this opportunity in order to keep it alive, and as slim as it is, hopefully expand it to multi-channel some day. I can always dream!

Last edited:
so is this hi-rez streaming all stereo only? it seems like the FLAC file type makes good for multichannel recordings, and with Quboz portable DAP, you have a way to Bluetooth in some surround sound into your car, no?

so is this hi-rez streaming all stereo only? it seems like the FLAC file type makes good for multichannel recordings, and with Quboz portable DAP, you have a way to Bluetooth in some surround sound into your car, no?
I don't know, but just seems like this could be another way to monetize these services and surround titles; because they aren't being fully tapped by a long shot. I'm sure I'm just preaching to the choir; our generation has lived with and digested music for decades that the younger folks have no clue about, and who seem satisfied with low res. mp3 quality. :censored:

Anyway here's a link for more info:
https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/music/streaming/offers

Quboz tells me that they have dozens of 5.1 albums but their app does not stream multi-channel, yet. The "labels" are not giving them multi-channel product, yet.
The said "Roon" works but I don't know how that would apply to this subject. Hopefully they can get this thing going soon. I gave them a couple of my ideas.

Back