Quad Christmas albums

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArmyOfQuad

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
I'm curious what Quad Christmas albums exist. I've not found a whole lot of discussion on this topic, so I figured I'd start this thread and let anyone contribute what quad Christmas albums they know of. I'd like to start converting some of them and maybe do one or two a year each holiday season, so I want to know what to start looking for.

So far I know of the following:
Christmas with Ronnie Aldrich, QR and Q8
CHORAL DES ENFANTS OF THE PARIS OPERA - Christmas with the Children of France, Q8 (never seen this one)
Mantovani - Christmas Greetings, QR
VARIOUS - Admiral Presents Christmas in Four-Channel, SQ
Various - Magnavox Album of Christmas Music, SQ
Christmas with Robert Shaw, QS

I've been working on getting the 2 SQ items on this list since those seem to be the ones that show up on ebay. I've got 1, and a bid on the other, and am hoping to make a twofer dvd-a of them.

If you type in "Magnavox Christmas" in the search at eBay, you'll find a bunch of records of this title. All are SQ, at least that's what I've found so far, as all the "Magnavox Christmas" records that were pressed AFAIK are SQ encoded with a red label.

None of the "Big Name" Christmas titles ever came out in quad.

There was always that hope that maybe Columbia would do a "Mitch Miller Christmas" in SQ!!! :eek::eek::phones:eek::eek: :mad:@:

I can't remember if it had the Columbia Q8 logo on the front label, but it definitely had the notch on the shell.

I can add these Christmas/holiday quad LPs:

Turnabout QTV-S 34647/8 (QS, 2 LPs) Nativity, A Christmas Concert with Robert Shaw and the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra and Chorus
Vanguard VSD 71212 (SQ) Christmas Eve at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine
Olympic 8130 (QS?) Voices & Bells of Christmas, The Boys Choir of Vienna (This Everest label release is marked QS, but a lot of their similarly marked releases aren't... I don't remember that I've tried it)
Turnabout QTV 34752 (QS) Tchaikovsky, Selections from The Nutcracker
Vanguard VSQ 30002 (SQ) Handel, Highlights of Messiah, English Chamber Orchestra

I have each of these and the aforementioned QTV 34710 if they sound intriguing, AoQ...

Mark Z

There are two Robert Shaw Christmas albums but one
is an unmarked SQ, both on Vox.
I also have a UHJ LP called "Carols By Candlelight".
There is also a boxed set of Bach's Christmas Oratorio on Angel.
I'll have to dig them out to give better details.

None of the "Big Name" Christmas titles ever came out in quad.

But you can find some "Big Name" individual Christmas songs in surround:

Paul McCartney -- "Wonderful Christmastime" on The McCartney Years DVD
Carpenters -- "Merry Christmas Darling" on Singles 1961-1981 SACD

How I would love to hear Phil Spector's Christmas album in Quad. Of course that will never happen since he was against releasing it even in Stereo.....
Mats

I think there were a lot of tracks used, and a lot of overdubs as well, but I also think it ended up on a three track tape, so stereo is the most we can get.
Mats

Something to be on the lookout for: Columbia Special Products PQ 12482 was issued with two different titles, although the cover photos were basically the same. The one we quad types would generally zoom in on was "Admiral Presents Christmas in Four-Channel Sound" (as you listed in your message). But away from Admiral stores, the same album was available under the name "Noel! Noel!" Same content, same SQ encoding. Keep your eyes peeled in those second-hand stores and garage sales for this one!
R5685.jpg R5685-2.jpg

PQ12482.jpg

H-744218 (Q8) John Wilbraham/London Festival Brass Ensemble: The
Magic of Christmas (David Squibb/Choir of Trinity School; Leslie
Pearson, organ)

I've got a recording of this one, but silly me, I forgot to take a scan of the tape before sending it back. Does anyone else out there have this one and can scan the tape?

Christmas at York Minster
Music from York, UHJ encoded

But you can find some "Big Name" individual Christmas songs in surround:

Paul McCartney -- "Wonderful Christmastime" on The McCartney Years DVD
Carpenters -- "Merry Christmas Darling" on Singles 1961-1981 SACD

John Lennon Happy Christmas ( War is Over ) Lennon - Legend EMI CD/DVD set

Barry Manilow - Christmas Gift of Love (Sl) [Super Audio CD - DSD]

If you can find it 'Christmas Extraordinaire' by Mannheim Steamroller on DVDA is quite a nice set for christmas.

I also have a nice 'new agey' album by 'Paul Winter Consort' called 'Silver Solstice' on DVDA (and 2 CD) which is very festive which usually gets dug out once teh nights start drawing in..

Last edited:
Back