Quad from (Stereo) Home Video (1st mention?)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfbkfb

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
IIRC, in 1982-06, only LaserDisc, VHS (Stereo linear tracks w/Dolby B) and some Cable Movie channels
(via cable FM) offered Stereo audio.

Too bad Video Review wasn't more positive about decoding Surround Sound from Stereo Home Video.

Kirk Bayne

Attachments

• VR1.pdf
    870.2 KB · Views: 186
There were a few SQ encoded LaserDiscs as well.

One that comes to mind is the Buddy Rich live concert: Mr Drums: Live On King Street. The LD has a blurb on the back that proclaims it as an SQ/Tate recording, and the liners mention they fed the original 16 tracks through an SQ encoder for the laserdisc release.

I picked it up recently and didn't find it to be all that discrete through my Tate, but I guess they were going for a live "music in the front, audience in the back" type mix.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/buddy-rich-sq-encoded-laserdisc.14897/

IIRC, in 1982-06, only LaserDisc, VHS (Stereo linear tracks w/Dolby B) and some Cable Movie channels
(via cable FM) offered Stereo audio.

Too bad Video Review wasn't more positive about decoding Surround Sound from Stereo Home Video.

Kirk Bayne
That other Q&A reminds me why I do not miss VCRs...

I did buy the Buddy Rich LaserDisc, Betamax HiFi tape and the DVD.

I have a Pioneer CLD-900 LaserDisc player, which shares 1 DAC and
doesn't compensate for the time delay (which causes varying phase
shift and thus causes problems for Matrix decoders).

I've heard that, prior to 1982 (IIRC, 1980/81,) the Tate decoder people
demoed their decoder with Stereo Home Video content and began to
get some orders.

Kirk Bayne

Back