Quadraphonic cassette (not 8 track) playback.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never knew about uniphase on reel , but then it's usage wouldn't matter much as all matrix encoded masters exist on 2ch reel . They were in use for matrix encoding and those recordings captured on any variety of 2ch reel by various manufacturers.

Never knew about uniphase on reel , but then it's usage wouldn't matter much as all matrix encoded masters exist on 2ch reel . They were in use for matrix encoding and those recordings captured on any variety of 2ch reel by various manufacturers.
That is true but not with consumer level gear. Most home tape decks pale in comparison to a 15 or 30 ips twin track master, some of which were on 1/2" tape stock. It was hard enough with some machines to get an even pack unless you only play and store. The guides were not accurate enough to keep the tape aligned more than marginally on many machines which I suspect would through an SQ or QS decoder into a tizzy. Lt's not even consider the vast majority of cassette decks and certainly not on 8-track cartridge. I have Angel 8-tracks that are apparently SQ encoded and will likely never open them to try as the results would be atrocious.

That is true but not with consumer level gear.
Yup, we're not talking professional studio gear here. To be honest though I'm not sure many of those tape decks would ever have recorded much matrix material - apart from LP's what encoded sources were there to copy from in the domestic environment, the odd FM broadcast perhaps? And then what would you do with them? How many of your friends had tape decks and quad decoders ?

Last edited:
That is true but not with consumer level gear. Most home tape decks pale in comparison to a 15 or 30 ips twin track master, some of which were on 1/2" tape stock. It was hard enough with some machines to get an even pack unless you only play and store. The guides were not accurate enough to keep the tape aligned more than marginally on many machines which I suspect would through an SQ or QS decoder into a tizzy. Lt's not even consider the vast majority of cassette decks and certainly not on 8-track cartridge. I have Angel 8-tracks that are apparently SQ encoded and will likely never open them to try as the results would be atrocious.

Those 30 ips reels of matrix quad would be a real treat to have . Makes me wonder how many are still in storage and will they ever be utilized again. (Or for that matter any speed)

Back