Queen "A Night At The Opera" original Elliot Scheiner mix on eBay

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a good checkpoint at ca. 3:00 of Bohemian Rhapsody. As ES reported there was no piano in the fronts in case of his original mix. Piano appears in the fronts in the other surround releases.

I'm surprised to find that I have the second version. I can't believe that I didn't jump on this the day it was released.

If you did you probably would have got the same version anyway. My understanding is that the ES version was only released as a promo and not released commercially.

The only reason it's around at all is that many people who receive promos drop them into the used market - sometimes almost immediately.

My copy with what's said to be the Scheiner-only 5.1 mix looks to all intents and purposes to be a final release promo rather than the advance promo in Neil Wilkes' pic.. packaging etc on my Scheiner job looks very similar indeed to the common or garden version (I can take some comparison pics later in the week if anyone's interested to see these differences side by side in greater detail?).. the blue silk screened disc in the promo even has the same catalogue number, though as depicted in the image I already contributed here the printing on the disc isn't identical and in particular has copyright info in a semi circular riband offset around bottom left of non playing side.. oh and it's got a hole punched thru the barcode of the rear inlay card.. but I've got other discs that are also cutouts and so forth that were surplus stock etc rather than promo's, it's a mystery as to whether these did indeed make it to store shelves initially and were then (hastily?) recalled..? I know I picked up the DVD with what turned out to be revised Brian May 5.1 as soon as my LaserDisc importer friend got it in from the States. That must've been 2002, I guess? Wow, time flies when you're having five point one fun! :music

...oh and it's got a hole punched thru the barcode of the rear inlay card.. but I've got other discs that are also cutouts and so forth that were surplus stock etc rather than promo's, it's a mystery as to whether these did indeed make it to store shelves initially and were then (hastily?) recalled..? I know I picked up the DVD with what turned out to be revised Brian May 5.1 as soon as my LaserDisc importer friend got it in from the States. That must've been 2002, I guess? Wow, time flies when you're having five point one fun! :music
I also have the disc and its barcode is also hole punched but the case is entirely intact. How did they do this and why? Are these promos? Almost seems like they were punched before assembly. My other DVD-A cutouts have obvious saw cuts in the spine or drill marks through the case and into the barcode. Also, if you look at the image at the queenvision link provided by Snood, it has the same hole punch in the rear inlay card.

Here they all are. Note the red DTS logo on the top of the 2001 US version and 2001 copyright on the back. There are other slight differences and as Cibola noted, a punch hole in the bar code on every 2001 version I've seen.

US_f1.jpg
US2001 Front

US_f2.jpg
US2002 Front

EU_f1.jpg
EU2002 Front

US_r1.jpg
US2001 Back

US_r2.jpg
US2002 Back

EU_r1.jpg
EU2002 Back

I also have the disc and its barcode is also hole punched but the case is entirely intact. How did they do this and why? Are these promos? Almost seems like they were punched before assembly.

I think that does indeed support the theory these were promos and not for retail.

An article re-posted on this Queen forum also suggests the ES version was distributed as a promo and it was after this event that Brian May requested changes before the official release: http://www.queenonline.com/en/the-band/interviews/queen-1/a-night-at-the-opera/

"At CES 2002 in Las Vegas however, each DTS press kit contained an advance copy of the disc"

I am happy now. I hope everyone will also be happy one day :smokin .

Does this mean you were looking for a copy and finally found one, or is this just a general statement? Either way, I'm glad you're happy.

I've had the opportunity to view both and if you don't have the packaging for some reason, one other way to distinguish is that on the "credits" section of the disc, the ES only mix only lists ES as the mix engineer. Subsequent releases add a line something to the effect of "With Brian May for Queen".

IIRC , I think there is a "Holy Grail" .. the first ever ES mix which , I think , saw the light of day albeit too briefly because it was pulled ASAP.. now, THAT would be cool to listen to.. obviously the Queen camp would never allow it.. or maybe.. ehem.. a BOX set of all of the MCH ANATO mixes could be the answer!!!

IIRC , I think there is a "Holy Grail" .. the first ever ES mix which , I think , saw the light of day albeit too briefly because it was pulled ASAP.. now, THAT would be cool to listen to.. obviously the Queen camp would never allow it.. or maybe.. ehem.. a BOX set of all of the MCH ANATO mixes could be the answer!!!
I believe that is the one in the auction.

pretty sure the "holy grail"
is the version of the DVD-A talked about by sukothai (and subsequently myself) in this thread. the differences between it and the common or garden release are not (I would say) "night and day" but as i recall it there are some noticeable revisions made (seemingly when Brian May got involved?) including making the "shark!" bit in Death On Two Legs more prominent and some piano bits in Bo Rhap less surround-y.. i'm surprised a big a$$ Super Deluxe box of ANATO hasn't been done (already!).. though if it did rehash the surround it would more than likely be the later mix in DTS DVD-V form.. but as much as I love the album (and adore Queen with Freddie) I say enough (already!).. no more versions of ANATO, please, there's like 105 versions (already!) well maybe an ATMOS mix or something.. could be fun.. ;)

I've heard both DVD-A versions and I'd say fredblue is right- Brian May seems to have kept ES' original vision pretty intact with some minor revisions. According to this old S&V article, it seems those two didn't quite see eye-to-eye during remix sessions, which would explain why ES was not employed again to remix The Game for DVD-A.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/surround-work-part-1

Last edited:
I'm looking at the files now and to me the most noticeable difference between the two versions is the mastering. Interestingly it seems ES' version started off quieter and ended louder, while the May-revised version started louder and ended quieter in comparison. Interesting (to me, anyway).

"Bohemian Rhapsody"- Scheiner:
Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 4.58.29 PM.png

"Bohemian Rhapsody"- May:
Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 4.59.30 PM.png

I would agree with fredblue that this album has more than gotten its due and it's time to move on to other things. But thank you Elliot and Brian for an awesome demo track! I use this on everyone and it has certainly turned some heads toward our beloved hobby/obsession over the years.

I wonder if this ever got done: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/next-queen-dvd-a.40383/

Last edited:
I'm looking at the files now and to me the most noticeable difference between the two versions is the mastering. Interestingly it seems ES' version started off quieter and ended louder, while the May-revised version started louder and ended quieter in comparison. Interesting (to me, anyway).

"Bohemian Rhapsody"- Scheiner:
View attachment 32418

"Bohemian Rhapsody"- May:
View attachment 32419

I would agree with fredblue that this album has more than gotten its due and it's time to move on to other things. But thank you Elliot and Brian for an awesome demo track! I use this on everyone and it has certainly turned some heads toward our beloved hobby/obsession over the years.

I wonder if this ever got done: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/next-queen-dvd-a.40383/

good question, who knows if ADATR was ever ultimately mixed in 5.1..

perhaps if a surround remix is included/not included in a future deluxe reissue would be some kind of confirmation either way?

fwiw several tracks from ADATR pan out pretty well in the Surround Master's Involve mode, as do a number of tracks from other classic Queen albums (i've tested out the S/T debut, Queen II, SHA, ADATR, NOTW, Jazz and they all have several songs apiece that give a very effective pseudo surround thru the Involve box/PLII) if i had my way somebody of Scheiner or Wilson's ilk would "do the lot" in Surround but still..

Back