Queen - ANATO History & differences.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil wilkes

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Please forgive if this has been covered elsewhere, but I could not find it.
How many different versions of this exist please?
And from those different pressings, how many are different sonically?
I have 2 different pressings of the DTS-Ents "Hollywood Records" version (rear artwork is different, yet barcodes are the same.
The Hub Codes are different though.
The Gold disc reads DC-DTS 1091
The Silver disc reads 359.1 DV-DTS 1091 1.S9A A03
(Don't (yet) know if the mix is different as I only got given this yesterday & not had time to play it side-by-side, but the different Hub Code implies a new master was used. This may (or may not) be true but is very likely. It also doesn't mean the mix is different (although it could be) only that for some reason, a different master was used)
Also the 30th Anniversary DTS-DVD is definitely a different mix.

Neil I remember seeing this information at high fidelity review and the reviewer talking about a pre release of ANATO which I believe the same bar code as what you know have. You might have your self a rare pressing then and its defintely different as explained by Stuart Robinson. I will provide the lin and info for those that don't like clicking on links:

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/reviews/review.asp?reviewnumber=535399

Few DVD-Audio releases can boast the level of hype and anticipation of that surrounding Queen’s ‘Night at the Opera’, due for release in April. DTS Entertainment have already delayed the launch numerous times from the original street date of November 20th 2001, putting the blame on various distribution issues, not least of which is the collapse of distributor Valley Entertainment.

At CES 2002 in Las Vegas however, each DTS press kit contained an advance copy of the disc, although it isn’t labelled as such, one of which is the subject of this preliminary review. The sample looks like the real thing; shrink-wrapped, a DTS seal covering the top of the Super Jewel case and both the disc and inlay card printing appears to be of production standards. For those interested, the stamp number on the disc itself is IFPI LL07 B01K2137 DC-1091.

The purpose of this piece is to provide an insight into what might appear on the final release for those who just cannot wait until April, but it’s important to remember that it is not based upon a commercially released sample and the contents could change prior to the official launch date. Whenever that might be.

For example, we know that Brian May, who it is claimed has overseen the DVD-Audio project since its inception, did not complete the six-channel surround mix until January 16th, which means that the 3/2.1 mix upon this disc is not the finished article…

Which is just as well, since it’s decidedly lacking in many regards. The surround mix itself has a dual personality, one moment conservative the next aggressive, switching partway through some songs as instruments move from distinct and at times distracting surround placement to more conventional positions. In fidelity terms, the DVD-Audio MLP track sounds decidedly rough around the edges, percussion is unstable (cymbal crashes have audible artefacts usually associated with lossy encoding) and there is a distinct lack of any meaningful dynamic range.

Just why the red-hot marketing machine of DTS should release such a sub-par effort to members of the press of all people, is anyone’s guess. It is hard to believe that either Brian May or Roy Thomas Baker would approve. Hopefully things will improve considerably when the final release version becomes available, so until that time I’ll reserve further judgement.

The sample disc contains three audio formats. There are two 3/2.1 mixes; one MLP on the DVD-Audio layer and the other DTS 96/24. To retain full DVD-Video compatibility, the disc also contains a two-channel mix presented as 96/24 linear PCM (which will be downsampled to 48kHz by the S/P-DIF output of most DVD-Video players) but does not offer any form of Dolby Digital track.

The inlay card continues DTS’ current theme of DVD-Audio misdirection. It states: “Each DVD-Audio disc from DTS Entertainment includes a DTS master quality multi-channel soundtrack and a standard stereo track for complete compatibility with all DVD-Video players, plus an MLP 5.1 soundtrack for DVD-Audio players.” The perception therefore, is that only the DTS track is ‘master quality’, where in fact only the MLP really is a true representation of the original master tapes.

The DTS track on the disc is the company’s newest extension format, DTS 96/24, a lossy but backward-compatible way of delivering 96kHz sampled data. In reality however, the entire audible portion of the frequency spectrum, 20Hz - 24kHz, is only delivered at 48kHz resolution and, to accommodate the inaudible data above 24kHz, at a bitrate lower than that of standard (full-rate) DTS. Once again, for reasons explained in the following paragraph, we’ll reserve judgement on the merits of DTS 96/24 until a later date.

The reason I wasn’t able to test DTS 96/24 in this preliminary review was that neither it nor the 96/24 PCM track would actually play on the hardware currently to hand. A Meridian 596 DVD-Video machine produced near full-scale digital noise into a Lexicon MC-12 on both tracks and even during the menu sequences, while a Pioneer DV-717 (another machine capable of outputting 96/24 PCM via S/P-DIF) refused to transmit any data whatsoever. Once again I have to question just why DTS would supply such obviously flawed and potentially damaging discs, regardless of their ‘advanced copy’ status.

As for extras, the advanced disc contains a video version of ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’, complete with a DTS 3/2.1 audio track, a set of ten small photographs and complete song lyrics (the frames advancing in synchronisation with the music) along with the story of DTS and appropriate production credits.

Many of the static disc menus appear to be overly compressed and artefacts are clearly visible around text and in areas of saturated red. Hopefully this is another area the will improve before the final release, especially as the artwork is visually attractive.

The basic disc layout and menu screens can be seen by clicking on the ‘Disc Captures’ link on the left of this page.

One last reminder – this is an advance look at a pre-production copy of ‘A Night at the Opera’, the content analysis upon this page reflects this version of the disc. Only when the final release becomes available will a complete review be published.
© Stuart M. Robinson ~ 05/02/02

Very interesting indeed.
I'll be sure to be very careful when playing this. FWIW, I also know of yet another version (although I don't have it) on Parlophone.

Felix.
Original Review is unavailable on that link.
Path Index Error.

Sorry, we can't find the archived version of this page. This may be due to temporary problems in our data center, or difficulty serving a higher-than-usual volume of traffic.

That got it.
Many thanks - some interesting reading there. Yesterday afternoon I did fire up the opener on each disc, and although I think I did indeed hear quite a difference I'd had a few too many single malts to be certain by this time so it can hardly be called conclusive proof that I have 2 different mixes. Sort of hope I do, as the hub numbers are well different.
Of course, if I have not got a different mix then I wonder why the change of masters?

Very interesting indeed.
I'll be sure to be very careful when playing this. FWIW, I also know of yet another version (although I don't have it) on Parlophone.

I have the Parlophone Edition that I got from HMV Japan to replace the (scratchier)
version I sent you on Hollywood which I originally picked up from a used record shop about 4 years ago.

I never did compare the two (Hollywood VS The Parlophone)
so I don't know if there's a difference there or not. :rolleyes:

As for the core (hub) numbers...maybe some idiot dropped the original glass master? :eek: :D

I do sure wish they'd have released the first two LPs on DVD-A :(

-B

I have the Parlophone Edition that I got from HMV Japan to replace the (scratchier)
version I sent you on Hollywood which I originally picked up from a used record shop about 4 years ago.

I never did compare the two (Hollywood VS The Parlophone)
so I don't know if there's a difference there or not. :rolleyes:

As for the core (hub) numbers...maybe some idiot dropped the original glass master? :eek: :D

I do sure wish they'd have released the first two LPs on DVD-A :(

-B

I knew it was you who had the Parlophone one - just didn't want to namedrop. That's a rare disc as far as I can tell.
The different Hub Number means a different master was used. Not a different GLASS master, but different DLT tapes, meaning a recompiled version. Could be different audio, could be a bug in the authoring (I have a test mould of "Running On Empty here marked v7) as in the early days there was no GUI for authoring - it was all done with scripts & XML editing.
Add the lack of proofing to that heady mix & you can see why there was a slow start.....

I knew it was you who had the Parlophone one - just didn't want to namedrop. That's a rare disc as far as I can tell.
The different Hub Number means a different master was used. Not a different GLASS master, but different DLT tapes, meaning a recompiled version. Could be different audio, could be a bug in the authoring (I have a test mould of "Running On Empty here marked v7) as in the early days there was no GUI for authoring - it was all done with scripts & XML editing.
Add the lack of proofing to that heady mix & you can see why there was a slow start.....

Bump!

I just checked and I have the Parlophone version.

Has anyone confirmed if this is different from the Hollwood Records one...?? i.e. is it the 1st or 2nd release?

I suspect its just the EU issue (e.g Parlophone/EMI) of the 2nd release (2002)....

I have one of each. No diff as far as I can tell, but I never listened very closely...

I've done some checking with the project manager on this one, and now know the reason for the different hub codes.
The mix on all versions of the DVDA is identical, but the menus are different.
Hollywood Records "Gold Disc" has an icon for the select button as well as the strikethrough, and the Silver one has just the strikethrough.
Not sure on the Parlophone labelled one, but there is no difference at all in the actual mix.

There are a total of 3 different surround mixes for this album, though.
The original one was done by Elliot Scheiner with producer Roy Thomas Baker. This one has never been released, which is a crying shame.
The DVDA version has a lot of changes in comparison to the original one, and was co-produced by Brian May, who ordered the changes made.
The third version was the one on the 30th anniversary CD/DVD edition (only available in DTS9624) and was tweaked even further by Brian May.

thanx Neil. good to know this confusing story finally from the first hands.

I've also been too lazy to do a proper side by side as well. I have played the Elliot Scheiner version the most, as I got it first.

I've also been too lazy to do a proper side by side as well. I have played the Elliot Scheiner version the most, as I got it first.
The real Elliot Scheiner one has never been released. Only a crippled version on the DTS Ents DVDA titles, and an even more crippled one on the 30th anniversary edition.

the videos don't play but other than that it plays fine. this is the CES 2002 DTS press kit version i think. all dates on it are 2001, In the booklet the 5.1 mix is Produced By RTB only. I thought this was the original Elliot Scheiner mix.

the videos don't play but other than that it plays fine. this is the CES 2002 DTS press kit version i think. all dates on it are 2001, In the booklet the 5.1 mix is Produced By RTB only. I thought this was the original Elliot Scheiner mix.

Is it a DVD-A or a DTS-CD?
The original mix was done to very limited numbers of DTS-CD for DTS Ents use only.
The DTS Press Kit version was - I believe - different in the menus only (although I may be mistaken, and there may be yet another version out there).

it is DVD-A, I got it off eBay just after CES 2002 DTS, as I could not wait for it to be released. I think the lyrics following the song messed up some players.

Back