Queen: Night at the Opera - remixed in 5.1 AGAIN!?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
The new ICE has a piece on the last page about this Queen album being released again with a NEW 5.1 mix. If you read between the lines, it states that most fans never got to hear the DVD-A, so this will be great because its on DVD! (?)

The oringinal ES mix has been "updated" by Bob Ludwig and Kris Fredrikssen. To be released 11/22/06.

Hmmm.

The new ICE has a piece on the last page about this Queen album being released again with a NEW 5.1 mix. If you read between the lines, it states that most fans never got to hear the DVD-A, so this will be great because its on DVD! (?)

The oringinal ES mix has been "updated" by Bob Ludwig and Kris Fredrikssen. To be released 11/22/06.

Hmmm.

Did this ever happen?

Chris

There are 2 versions of the DVD-A, yes?
How to tell what version is what?????

My understanding, the date is one way. I have read avoid the 2001 version, purchase the 2002 version. I don't think you will need to be concerned if buying new as there shouldn't be any 2001 versions at retail. Buying used, I would inquire. I sure can't find any problems with the 2002 version at first listen.

Chris

There are 2 versions of the DVD-A, yes?
How to tell what version is what?????

Oy, here we go again.

IIRC, the original version done by Elliott Scheiner only did not get wide release, if at all. Then Brian May and ES did the second mix, with May pissing off ES and getting overly involved in the process. Then we have the DTS 3oth Anny version.

I don't think you'll find the ES only mix in stores.

I picked up the 2001 NATO on ebay, It was given out free at some trade show. I have not really done the side by side though. Now I think I will

I picked up the 2001 NATO on ebay, It was given out free at some trade show. I have not really done the side by side though. Now I think I will

From what I read, the staccato piano during the " I see a little sillouetto" part is pushed right back on the original. Brian May asked it to be moved more forward.

"Brian also had me move certain things. In 'Bohemian,' when it cuts to the opera section, I originally put the piano in the rear for those quarter notes: da da da da, da da da da. Everything went to black except there. But Brian said, 'Can we bring it out to the front a little?' So I did - and it just doesn't have the same impact for me. I thought my version was good because it drew your attention, it did something different, it wasn't ordinary. But that's my opinion. Brian's the artist. His name's on that record, not mine."

However, Scheiner wasn't afraid to hold his ground when he believed it was necessary. "Well, 'The Prophet's Song' took forever, and at some point, I couldn't take it anymore. I went through a period of 'whatever you want is fine with me.' Then I realized, that's not right. I said to Brian, 'I'm really unhappy because I've let you take control, and I have no more input, and I feel we've made mistakes.' He said, 'Oh, man, tell me.' And he was absolutely open to it. I had risked ruining the relationship, because I wasn't pleasant about it - and I felt terrible afterward, apologizing for my attitude. But I felt I had to say something, and he was very appreciative of that."

Whole story:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/features/247/multichannel-for-the-people.html

So that would bring the total number of surround mixes to . . . four?

Glad I have the original pre-release ES version. I'll have to A/B it with the DVD-V. Agree with Elliot, I like the piano squarely in the rear on BR.

So that would bring the total number of surround mixes to . . . four?

Glad I have the original pre-release ES version. I'll have to A/B it with the DVD-V. Agree with Elliot, I like the piano squarely in the rear on BR.

Well, you have the original ES one, the ES/Brian May one, and that's it. With the exception of the God Save The Queen, the 30th Anny is the same, AFAIK.

Back