R.E.M. "Monster" (5CD/Blu-Ray 25th anniversary edition arriving in November!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Full details here: https://www.amazon.com/Monster-CD-Blu-ray-R-M/dp/B07VTYDX88/ (5 CDs & 1 Blu-ray Disc!)

R.E.M.’s ninth album, Monster, was released at a time when the band were coming off the peak of their mainstream success, following Out of Time (1991) and Automatic For The People (1992). Coming from a long break in touring (the band famously didn’t tour with the two previous records), Monster represented an intentional shift in R.E.M.’s sound, a “return to rock” with guitar laden, simple arrangements. It was released to strong reviews and significant global success - reaching #1 on Billboard, and least 7 other countries. In 1995 the band promoted that album with their first concert tour since 1989 (although several band members suffered health problems). The album includes the singles; “What’s The Frequency, Kenneth?,” “Crush with Eyeliner,” “Bang and Blame,” and “Strange Currencies.” Commemorating the album’s 25th anniversary, original Producer Scott Litt re-approached R.E.M.’s “Monster” by remixing the entire album. The original 1995 version was dense in guitars and feedback with the vocals mixed within the sonic wall, but on this alternative version the guitars are pulled back and the vocals pushed forward to create a more open sound and showcase often-revealing lyrics. The deluxe edition package also includes previously unreleased demos, a complete live performance, recorded from the Monster tour in Chicago on June 3, 1995, plus a Blu-ray disc which features the band’s tour documentary “Road Movie,” five original music videos, as well as the complete remastered Monster album in 5.1 surround sound and hi-resolution audio. • Featuring the hits: "What's the Frequency, Kenneth?," "Bang and Blame," "Crush With Eyeliner" and more • Remastered Album; from the original analog master • 2019 Completely Remixed Album, by original producer, Scott Litt • Plus new liner notes, featuring interviews from members of the band • Reimagined artwork by the original cover artist, Chris Bilheimer

Track Listings
Disc: 1 (Original 1994 mix remastered)
1. What's The Frequency, Kenneth?
2. Crush With Eyeliner
3. King Of Comedy
4. I Don't Sleep, I Dream
5. Star 69Strange Currencies
6. Strange Currencies
7. Tongue
8. Bang And Blame
9. I Took Your Name
10. Let Me In
11. Circus Envy
12. You

Disc: 2 (Demos)
1. Pete's Hit
2. Uptempo Mo Distortion
3. Uptempo Ricky
4. Harlan County with Whistling
5. Lost Song
6. AM Boo
7. Mike's Gtr
8. Sputnik 1 Remix
9. Black Sky 4-14
10. Revolution 4-21
11. Rocker with vocal
12. Time Is On Mike's Side
13. 1Experiment 4-28 no vocal
14. Highland Fling 4-29
15. Cranky 4-29

Disc: 3 (2019 Remix)
1. What's The Frequency, Kenneth? (2019 Remix)
2. Crush With Eyeliner (2019 Remix)
3. King Of Comedy (2019 Remix)
4. I Don't Sleep, I Dream (2019 Remix)
5. Star 69 (2019 Remix)
6. Strange Currencies (2019 Remix)
7. Tongue (2019 Remix)
8. Bang And Blame (2019 Remix)
9. I Took Your Name (2019 Remix)
10. Let Me In (2019 Remix)
11. Circus Envy (2019 Remix)
12. You (2019 Remix)

Disc: 4 (Live in Chicago)
2. Circus Envy
3. Crush With Eyeliner
4. Near Wild Heaven
5. Welcome To The Occupation
6. Undertow
7. I Took Your Name
8. Strange Currencies
9. Me In Honey
10. Revolution
11. Tongue
12. Man On The Moon
13. Country Feedback
14. Monty Got A Raw Deal

Disc: 5 (Live in Chicago)
1. Losing My Religion
2. You
3. Departure
4. Orange Crush
5. Get Up
6. Star 69
7. Let Me In
8. Everybody Hurts
9. So. Central Rain (I'm Sorry)
10. Pop Song 89
11. Its The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

Disc: 6 (Blu-Ray)
1. Monster - 5.1 Surround Sound
2. Monster - Hi-Resolution Audio
3. Road Movie (concert film)
4. What's The Frequency, Kenneth? (music video)
5. Crush With Eyeliner (music video)
6. Star 69 (music video)
7. Strange Currencies (music video)
8. Tongue (music video)
9. Bang and Blame (music video)

Further pictures of the deluxe set:

81VEcQRGApL._SL1500_.jpg

71JXxz2S90L._SL1500_.jpg

Full details here: https://www.amazon.com/Monster-CD-Blu-ray-R-M/dp/B07VTYDX88/ (5 CDs & 1 Blu-ray Disc!)

Track Listings
Disc: 1 (Original 1994 mix remastered)
2. Crush With Eyeliner
3. King Of Comedy
4. I Don't Sleep, I Dream
5. Star 69Strange Currencies
6. Strange Currencies
7. Tongue
8. Bang And Blame
9. I Took Your Name
10. Let Me In
11. Circus Envy
12. You

Disc: 2 (Demos)
1. Pete's Hit
2. Uptempo Mo Distortion
3. Uptempo Ricky
4. Harlan County with Whistling
5. Lost Song
6. AM Boo
7. Mike's Gtr
8. Sputnik 1 Remix
9. Black Sky 4-14
10. Revolution 4-21
11. Rocker with vocal
12. Time Is On Mike's Side
13. 1Experiment 4-28 no vocal
14. Highland Fling 4-29
15. Cranky 4-29

Disc: 3 (2019 Remix)
1. What's The Frequency, Kenneth? (2019 Remix)
2. Crush With Eyeliner (2019 Remix)
3. King Of Comedy (2019 Remix)
4. I Don't Sleep, I Dream (2019 Remix)
5. Star 69 (2019 Remix)
6. Strange Currencies (2019 Remix)
7. Tongue (2019 Remix)
8. Bang And Blame (2019 Remix)
9. I Took Your Name (2019 Remix)
10. Let Me In (2019 Remix)
11. Circus Envy (2019 Remix)
12. You (2019 Remix)

Disc: 4 (Live in Chicago)
2. Circus Envy
3. Crush With Eyeliner
4. Near Wild Heaven
5. Welcome To The Occupation
6. Undertow
7. I Took Your Name
8. Strange Currencies
9. Me In Honey
10. Revolution
11. Tongue
12. Man On The Moon
13. Country Feedback
14. Monty Got A Raw Deal

Disc: 5 (Live in Chicago)
1. Losing My Religion
2. You
3. Departure
4. Orange Crush
5. Get Up
6. Star 69
7. Let Me In
8. Everybody Hurts
9. So. Central Rain (I'm Sorry)
10. Pop Song 89
11. Its The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

Disc: 6 (Blu-Ray)
1. Monster - 5.1 Surround Sound
2. Monster - Hi-Resolution Audio
3. Road Movie (concert film)
4. What's The Frequency, Kenneth? (music video)
5. Crush With Eyeliner (music video)
6. Star 69 (music video)
7. Strange Currencies (music video)
8. Tongue (music video)
9. Bang and Blame (music video)

Thanks. This looks very promising. Nice to see the Chicago show. Apparently, it’s an unbooted soundboard. Since many of the b-sides were actually from the Automatic Greenpeace show that appears on the 2017 set, I’m glad to see what looks to be a full concert from the Monster tour in addition to. Road Movie. I bought the DVD ages ago only to discover it was improperly listed, region locked and now encased in a fine layer of shelf dust.

I’m even fine with the packaging in your subsequent post. Yeah, it’s annoying they keep changing form factors. At least it’s a practical shelf-friendly size.

Last edited:
Yes
I am very interested in what the new stereo mix sounds like.

Me, too, but thankful they include the original mix, as well.
I might prefer the vocals remain in the sonic wall... 😌

The original 1995 version was dense in guitars and feedback with the vocals mixed within the sonic wall,
but on this alternative version the guitars are pulled back and the vocals pushed forward to create a more open sound and showcase often-revealing lyrics

No Dolby Atmos? Sigh.

I'm ok with no Atmos this time.
Atmos made more sense for "Automatic for the People" since it is a very atmospheric record with lots of space, whereas "Monster" is more raw and direct, so I'm not sure it would have translated well to Atmos anyway.

Here's the first remix:

Not sure I'm a fan. I appreciated the fact that the vocals are more clear, but I'm missing some of the cool sound FX in the chorus.
It's also a little shorter than the original.

Now after hearing this, I hope the 5.1 mix is the original Scheiner 5.1 mix, cause I'm not sure I want a 5.1 mix based on this new stereo remix

:oops:

I'm not a fan of this remix at all. The sound is completely different: the balance among instruments, it's all far more compressed, starting from the first guitar riff. There are also some missing parts (the tremolo...).
Just out of curiosity, I had to lower the volume by about 8dB in order to A/B this remix with the HD version of the original mix.

No, I'm not going to get this release, unless there's the Scheiner 5.1 mix included. This stereo remix is a downgrade, and the album doesn't need a stereo remix in the first place. I'm generally not against remixes, but this is poorly done IMO.

Last edited:
Here's the first remix:

Now after hearing this, I hope the 5.1 mix is the original Scheiner 5.1 mix, cause I'm not sure I want a 5.1 mix based on this new stereo remix

:oops:

I'm just the opposite. If it is the original Scheiner 5.1, well, I already have it on DVD (and the original CD), and I'm not paying big bucks for ancillary CDs I might listen to only once.

Still on pre-order, but the moment the truth comes out, I'll have a rethink, hopefully in time to cancel if needed.

It’s down to $50.80 at Amazon. Never hurts pre-ordering to lock the price. Unlike a couple sites I know, Amazon makes cancellation a breeze. That’d make it easy to swap to Bullmoose when they post it, assuming they offer a fairly competitive price.

https://smile.amazon.com/Monster-CD-Blu-ray-R-M/dp/B07VTYDX88

Setting aside potential quality of the new mixes or the 5.1, all told this set is shaping up to be quite a bargain for all the content (a remaster, a remix, 5.1, a complete uncirculating soundboard, a video of concert performances, and demos).

Last edited:
Snood in around the 50, but 80 ummmm with the possibility of an old 5.1 nah

Do Like the upgrade in Bluray - will prob use some Amazon bux try to get it down to 30 or 20 even :giggle:

Back