R&R HOF nominees 2020

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just realized; no FOREIGNER! c'mon guys, not the greatest band ever, but good enough to deserve a nomination!

The 2020 induction nominees are...
- Pat Benatar
- Dave Matthews Band
- Depeche Mode
- The Doobie Brothers
- Whitney Houston
- Judas Priest
- Kraftwerk
- MC5
- Motörhead
- Nine Inch Nails
- The Notorious B.I.G.
- Rufus featuring Chaka Khan
- Todd Rundgren
- Soundgarden
- T.Rex
- Thin Lizzy

I wish they would rename the place and then I would feel better about all of the non-Rock and Roll acts that get in or get nominated. I know that they are all worthy of acknowledgement, but really - are they "Rock and Roll"?

In reality, the name of the place should be:

"The Jann Wenner Rolling Stone Magazine Popular Music Hall of Fame of Cleveland"

My choices for 2020....

- Pat Benatar
- The Doobie Brothers
- Judas Priest
- Nine Inch Nails
- Todd Rundgren

I think this is a good representation of rock music.

Whitney Houston? Not rock at all.
DMB? Way overrated.

No love for Duran Duran? REO Speedwagon? Solo Phil Collins?

Soundgarden for sure.

- Pat Benatar
- Depeche Mode
- Kraftwerk
- Soundgarden

The others either shouldn't be in there yet or I just don't know/care.

I wish they would rename the place and then I would feel better about all of the non-Rock and Roll acts that get in or get nominated. I know that they are all worthy of acknowledgement, but really - are they "Rock and Roll"?
I agree it should be the Popular Music Hall of Fame.

I barely know anything from T. Rex. I was not born yet when they started. And my mom was never into them so I don't know them from my childhood either.

As of today, the fan poll has Pat Benatar in the lead, followed by.....

2. The Doobie Brothers
3. Soundgarden
4. Dave Matthews Band (??!!)
5. Judas Priest

Outside of the top 5....

6. Depeche Mode
7. Whitney Houston
8. Motörhead
9. Thin Lizzy
10. Nine Inch Nails

I barely know anything from T. Rex. I was not born yet when they started. And my mom was never into them so I don't know them from my childhood either.

Marc Bolan had several phases -- his first airy-fairy Tolkienesque acoustic hippie phase, then the transition into an electric modernized 50s rock and roll revitalized into Glam, and a late sort of post-punk phase prior to 1977. The middle phase was his most popular -- especially among British teens -- but you'll find his biggest admirers have always been other musicians. "I can take a C chord and write a million songs," he said, and he could!

So, a musician's musician. But T. Rex could rock out! Caught him live and he had the crowd verging on mass hysteria, and it was the first time I ever panicked in a large crowd, when his bongo sidekick was throwing out tambourines, and I got up in waves of grabbing people as Marc laid his electric guitar on the ground and beat it with a whip.

Now that's rock and roll :rocks

Unfortunately his last hit was a tree, as the story goes, and he died fairly young. People still hang memorials on the tree.

[edit: Shame on yer mum for not playing ELECTRIC WARRIOR to you! It's a rock classic, and even made David Bowie jealous 😮 ]

Last edited:

But the Power Station's cover of T-Rex's "Get It On"....retitled as "Get It On (Bang A Gong)".....was a monster hit. Surely you have heard of it.

Back