Receivers that decode 4.0 PCM/MLP recordings over HDMI

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure, but once you convert it to FLAC, you can just play it without any manipulations if you use an intelligent music player program.
I'm finding that I need to change playback setting in JRiver every once in a while. there are three settings that each cover my program content (files). "Source Number of Channels", 5.1, or 4 I think. DTS material being the one I need to switch for most often. I need to make notes on which ones throw a wrench, and simply go in and fix those (non-DTS) files by adding their needed empty channels for smooth playback. My surround life has never been fast or easy. Media Player / Servers did not simplify anything either,

Last edited:
I play everything with one playback output setting: 5.1*. All of my files are decoded, so that dts, for example, is in my file system as FLAC. No manipulation of channels was done during the decoding but they play properly (with one or two exceptions).

(* That's with my own regular system. I do play with those adjustments when I am playing with new and/or review products.)

Last edited:
Brand: Denon
Model No. AVR-3312CI
Year: 2011
{tested with Oppo BDP93 }

Brand: Emotiva
Model No. UMC-200
Year: 2012

Brand: Onkyo
Model No. TX-NR609
Year:
{tested with Oppo 970HD, Oppo BDP-80 & Oppo BDP-103}

Model No. TX-NR656
Year:
{only from my Oppo BDP-103}

Model No. Integra DRX-5
Year: 2016
{tested with Oppo 203}

Brand: Pioneer
Model No. SC-LX86
Year: 2013
{tested with Oppo 203 }

Brand: Yamaha
Model No. RX-A2050
Year: 2016
{tested with Oppo 103 }

Model No. RX-V1073
Year: 2012

Model No. RX-V1900
Year: 2008
{tested with Oppo BDP-93 & UDP-203}

Model No. RX-V3081
Year: 2016 / 2017
{tested with Oppo BDP93 }

Please help build a list of receivers that will decode a 4.0 PCM / MLP file over a HDMI Connection. Provide the info and I will update the list.

The Denon AVR-4311CI does (but the AVR-X3300W does not). Source: 4.0 PCM files on hard drive, foobar2k/WASAPI output, HDMI to AVR.

Last edited:
Ahhh the old days when you just plug in your 6 analog inputs and your ready to go.

No DSP (e.g. room EQ), no bass management (had to buy that box from Outlaw audio)....at least in my old, old days using all analog. No thanks!

My Denon AVR from circa 2011 plays 3.0, 4.0, 5.0, x.1... the newer model (2016) can't. So the old days (8 yrs gone) were fine, but technology went backwards in this respect.

Perhaps I could get foobar2k to do this too... but I've already added silent channels to the actual files, using Music Media Helper (which works in batch mode, like a charm)

Marantz SR6012
Oppo 103D

Just tested the Pink Floyd DSOTM Immersion BD 4.0 LPCM tracks and all 4 channels work as they should. Equip is connected by single HDMI only.
The Marantz also reported the 4.0 input correctly.

Did Marantz fix something or did I just get a lucky combo?

Last edited:
Marantz SR6012
Oppo 103D

Just tested the Pink Floyd DSOTM Immersion BD 4.0 LPCM tracks and all 4 channels work as they should. Equip is connected by single HDMI only.

I seem to recall the Oppo’s two HDMI outputs are different, with one output supporting correct 4.0 LPCM and the other not. My memory is fuzzy though and I’ve lost the reference info. If the Oppo/Marantz combo works for you, that is fantastic!

Marantz SR6012
Oppo 103D

Would you share a connection diagram with us? I'd like to know which ports on Oppo and Marantz you're using. Also configuration options on both sides.
Thanks!

Would you share a connection diagram with us? I'd like to know which ports on Oppo and Marantz you're using. Also configuration options on both sides.
Thanks!

OK, just did some more testing. Everything works as it should. I cannot reproduce the problem.

My Equip:
Marantz-SR6012 (with latest upgraded firmware via download) Oppo-103 is connected to HDMI-2 and Oppo-205 is connected to HDMI-3 and analog-ins.
Oppo-103D (with hacked firmware to allow SACD-R and ISO playback) - HDMI-1 out is the only connection.
Oppo-205 (stock-latest firmware upgrade)- Main HDMI output and 7.1 Analogs. ( I usually use the analogs but for this test I used the HDMI connection)

Nothing fancy about the configs, The Oppo HDMI CEC is set to limited and 4k video on. The 6012 HDMI control is set to on, ARC is on, all 4K options enabled.
If you would like specific setting info, let me know what your interested in and I will try to report it.

I retested today using the Pink Floyd WYWH Immersion BD disc (and ISO for the 103), selected the 4.0 LPCM tracks and listened to perfect 4 channel playback from both the Oppo-103 AND the Oppo-205. The Marantz correctly reported the input as 4.0 PCM from each source. No Issues.

I cannot seem to reproduce the problem with my hardware (no complaints :) ).

Let me know if you would like more specific info.

OK, just did some more testing. Everything works as it should. I cannot reproduce the problem.

My Equip:
Marantz-SR6012 (with latest upgraded firmware via download) Oppo-103 is connected to HDMI-2 and Oppo-205 is connected to HDMI-3 and analog-ins.
Oppo-103D (with hacked firmware to allow SACD-R and ISO playback) - HDMI-1 out is the only connection.
Oppo-205 (stock-latest firmware upgrade)- Main HDMI output and 7.1 Analogs. ( I usually use the analogs but for this test I used the HDMI connection)

Nothing fancy about the configs, The Oppo HDMI CEC is set to limited and 4k video on. The 6012 HDMI control is set to on, ARC is on, all 4K options enabled.
If you would like specific setting info, let me know what your interested in and I will try to report it.

I retested today using the Pink Floyd WYWH Immersion BD disc (and ISO for the 103), selected the 4.0 LPCM tracks and listened to perfect 4 channel playback from both the Oppo-103 AND the Oppo-205. The Marantz correctly reported the input as 4.0 PCM from each source. No Issues.

I cannot seem to reproduce the problem with my hardware (no complaints :) ).

Let me know if you would like more specific info.
Thanks, the main difference with my setup is HDMI CEC, enabled in my 7012 but disabled in my players. I don't think that should be causing the issue, but I'll give it a try
Edit: I tried to enable CEC and no difference at all. In fact, it was already enabled in my Sony. With Oppo I was playing around and no improvement

Last edited:
Thanks, the main difference with my setup is HDMI CEC, enabled in my 7012 but disabled in my players. I don't think that should be causing the issue, but I'll give it a try
Edit: I tried to enable CEC and no difference at all. In fact, it was already enabled in my Sony. With Oppo I was playing around and no improvement
Your OPPO 93 will never work correctly. Unless you get an OPPO 103 (the ONLY player that decodes 4.0 properly with the problem chips), you are just spinning your wheels.

Your OPPO 93 will never work correctly. Unless you get an OPPO 103 (the ONLY player that decodes 4.0 properly with the problem chips), you are just spinning your wheels.
Thanks for that, I can forget now about trying to make it work :(

My Equip:

Thanks for the post and I have added to the list. I find it odd that the 205 also worked as I have a 203 and where the SR7010 I have shows a 4.0 recording on the display all I get are the front channels

Thanks for the post and I have added to the list. I find it odd that the 205 also worked as I have a 203 and where the SR7010 I have shows a 4.0 recording on the display all I get are the front channels

Based on the earlier posts in this thread, I was expecting my 205 might display the problem, especially because I rarely use the 205's HDMI for audio. It was a pleasant surprise to find it does indeed work fine with the 6012.

Now the million dollar question is why?

Based on the earlier posts in this thread, I was expecting my 205 might display the problem, especially because I rarely use the 205's HDMI for audio. It was a pleasant surprise to find it does indeed work fine with the 6012.

Now the million dollar question is why?
If the 205 has two HDMI ports, try the other and it may reproduce the issue. That’s the case with my 103. Then again, if it ain’t broke...

This REALLY concerns me as i do need a newer avr w/ HDMI and have been looking into marantz sr 5012 or 6012 or similar models cuz their about the only avr left that have both hdmi n analog....damn it i need my 4.0 to work w hdmi for use with my sony x800 n also my oppo 203

Help advice any other models out there with both hdmi n analogs n have preouts for MORE power???

I have the SR6012 and was recently bummed to discover that my FLAC 4.0 24/96 back up of Dark Side of the Moon (Parsons) will not play any sound when streaming over the network from my PC to the Sony X800 using DLNA. I believe I can play it directly from a USB plugged into the Sony also, just not streaming. Sometimes when you get the itch and you just want to click on your Plex server and stream some of your surround titles, not being able to access the first one you really had the itch for can be a bummer dudes!

My SR 6011Marantz has no problem with decoding the immersion Blu-Ray discs to 4 channel FL, FR, SL, SR. I believe other discs my setup recognizes and plays Quad as needed. I listened to DSOTM and WYWH both in Quad and then 5.1 tonight.

Back