Report: Sony Music Cuts Off Third Party Licensing to Some Companies

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It very well could be. But I sense that D/V are sharp enough to simply get licenses from other labels, and keep their thing going.

However I'm not going to believe it until we hear from other sources about this.

And I pray it does not mean the end of Sony quad on SACD. It's not April 1st yet..... hummm

And I pray it does not mean the end of Sony quad on SACD.
Sony Japan seem to be continuing with their 7" mini-LP multichannel SACD series, having recently released a couple Billy Joel albums with 5.1 mixes in that format. Assuming sales are high enough, I imagine they will continue to mine that source of revenue.

Hmm....Many thoughts are rampaging through this noggin, if true. Is it a move to a completely digital format? Will they cease production of all CD and other formats? Are they the only company that have SACD production facilities? So many questions which are unanswered at the moment. Do we have any insiders who would be close to knowing more about Sony's future plans?
Of which I imagine DV would be the first to know, as their successful business model is heavily dependant on those Sony third party licenses.
Nothing stays the same in this rapidly changing world!!
Unfortunately!! :unsure::censored:

Sony Japan seem to be continuing with their 7" mini-LP multichannel SACD series, having recently released a couple Billy Joel albums with 5.1 mixes in that format. Assuming sales are high enough, I imagine they will continue to mine that source of revenue.
Yeah but to me it's a snail's pace they are moving in. Way too slow to get me very excited - expecially if they choose titles already released in high-res and surround like Tapestry and Joel's albums. Those just leave me cold and uninterested. We'll of course see, but slow pace and high prices is tough for me when it includes several previously issued SACDs.

Came across this tidbit also......SONY MUSIC NO LONGER DEALING WITH SOUNDTRACK LABELS.

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.p...ic-no-longer-dealing-with-soundtrack-labels/&

Comments make it sound like its not just a soundtrack licencing issue but any third party licencing...

“Sony Music's decision had NOTHING to do with soundtrack labels. They don’t CARE about soundtrack labels. The people who made this decision have probably never heard of them.

What actually happened is that Sony Music unilaterally cut off ALL third party licensing…. that means ALL GENRES OF MUSIC. Soundtrack labels are just collateral damage and not even a blip on the radar of whatever brought about this decision”

Last edited:
Comments make it sound like its just a soundtrack licencing issue but any third party licencing...

“Sony Music's decision had NOTHING to do with soundtrack labels. They don’t CARE about soundtrack labels. The people who made this decision have probably never heard of them.

What actually happened is that Sony Music unilaterally cut off ALL third party licensing…. that means ALL GENRES OF MUSIC. Soundtrack labels are just collateral damage and not even a blip on the radar of whatever brought about this decision”
Comments like your's make it sound like you've read the internal Sony memo, and know first hand what it says.

See, it's just that I don't easily believe everything that I come across on the internet. It could be a US only thing after all.

Whatever is in “speech / quotation marks” is taken from posters on the other thread. I have no inside knowledge and am just the messenger who’s concerned it may impact D-V’s quads

Comments like your's make it sound like you've read the internal Sony memo, and know first hand what it says.

See, it's just that I don't easily believe everything that I come across on the internet. It could be a US only thing after all.

Whatever is in “speech / quotation marks” is taken from posters on the other thread. I have no inside knowledge and am just the messenger who’s concerned it may impact D-V’s quads

I REALLY wish someone 'in the know' would chime in and definitively state whether this is the case or pure conjection.......This would also mean SONY wouldn't license any of their songs for TV or motion pictures? Sounds a little absurd if you ask me. Licensing is a VERY lucrative business and better to clear out the vaults rather than let those masters sit there and ROT!

Those are key questions.
What does the memo say? And which companies does it cover?

If your company was one of the firms that received the notice, you'd probably be reluctant to admit it publicly...

I REALLY wish someone 'in the know' would chime in and definitively state whether this is the case or pure conjection.......This would also mean SONY wouldn't license any of their songs for TV or motion pictures? Sounds a little absurd if you ask me. Licensing is a VERY lucrative business and better to clear out the vaults rather than let those masters sit there and ROT!

It sounds like the change in Sony Music's policy for licensing will not affect the major reissue companies like Mobile Fidelity and Analogue Productions.

As for DV, only Michael Dutton probably knows if they received the Sony Music letter.
I'm guessing they did not with their regular Sony Music reissue schedule/program.

Yes. Better some income then no income. I can't imagine Sony re-releasing everything from its vaults, so why not contine to license music they have no intention of releasing themselves.

Yes. Better some income then no income. I can't imagine Sony re-releasing everything from its vaults, so why not continue to license music they have no intention of releasing themselves.

It's probably a case of continuing to license to the companies that work with Sony Music regularly vs. those who work with them less frequently or where the dollar volume/amount is very small.

I read somewhere recently that sony was hooked up w someone to begin their own streaming service in of all places Japan

I read somewhere recently that sony was hooked up w someone to begin their own streaming service in of all places Japan

Sony developed the PrimeSeat Streaming service with Korg a few years ago.
It provides Stereo DSD 256 and PCM 24/96 streaming in Japan and worldwide. An excellent service.
(But not related to the changes in licensing for smaller third-party companies).

1-Jenna-and-Alex.jpg

http://positive-feedback.com/audio-discourse/jenna-alex-first-u-s-live-dsd-broadcast/https://positive-feedback.com/audio-discourse/primeseat-launches-dsd-streaming-audio/http://primeseat.net/en/http://primeseat.net/ja/

Hopefully, if indeed they have been cut off by the morons at Sony, there is some good stuff already signed and committed to in the pipeline.

I doubt that DV received or was impacted by the letter that Sony - and the similar letter that one of the other major labels also sent out recently.
Companies that reissue regularly are not affected from what I've been told. DV would certainly fit into the frequent reissuer/customer category.

Back